Prospect Info: Adam Engstrom

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
Matheson will be 32 at the start of the first year of his next contract in 4 years, and turning 33 in February that year.

That leaves him 2 and a half years to build on next year and produce his best seasons, much like Petry did with the Habs later on in his career.

By the trade deadline in the final year of his current contract, his value will be at its highest, all on a reasonable 4.875M Cap hit per season.

The danger, here, will be extending Matheson at his peak value for first season in a new contract where he will be 33 years of age.

Would we want to make the same kind frisky signature as we did with Petry, extending Matheson for four years at primo dinero, through ages 33, 34, 35 and36, all with a higher probability of getting finishing returns?

Likely not.

However, Matheson will be worth a pretty penny to a Cup aspiring team in three years, with Montreal abletohold back half the remaining Cap hit at the deadline, enabling just about any team to add Matheson to their lineup and creating a ripe environment for bidding war to ensue.

If Montreal does not have a #1, #2 and #3 D at that point, should we overpay Matheson fort long a term by default?

Personally, I'm not all that worried that, beyond matheson, we won't have at least a #2 and a #3 D in place by then, with more than one #4 also on deck.

We might end up with a #2 - #4, #3 - #4 and #5 - #6 as a D-Corps. At that point, we'd still have enough Cap space to somehow acquire at least another #2 for the first pair, enabling us to have a #2-#2, #3-#4, #4-#5 as a top-6 for the D-Corps, good enough to be one of the better, deeper Ds in the league, IMO.

With 3 years of experience, Guhle should at least be a #2D, IMO. Reinbacher should at least slot into a #3D role. Then, we'd still have Hutson, Mailloux, Engstrom, Xhekaj, Harris and Barron, plus Trudeau.

Compensation for Matheson from a Cup contender could be quite interesting, even, potentially, a younger Matheson (like getting Matheson for Petry) and a late first round pick.
If he establishes himself as a top pair D this year (producing 50+ pts) and we are out the playoffs with our young Ds looking amazing both in the NHL and junior (Reinbacher, Hutson, Engstrom and cie), I dont see any reason not to trade Matheson at this TDL for a blue chip F prospect +. Contenders would line up for that kind of vet at that kind of cap for 3 years. Matheson might be our only chance outside of the draft to acquire the type of elite F that we are lacking a bit. I could see a team like WAS being in a playoff spit in March and wanting to get stronger by adding a high end D. Maybe they could move Leonard?

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Dude what is Savard going to teach Guhle, Hutson or even Mailloux?

He's a good, hardworking 5th D, but he has no idea how to read the O zone or when to pinch (no that Matheson is the BEST at it, but miles better for sure)
Savard was a top 4 dman for most of his prime. It's not just the physical aspects. It's how to read plays at the NHL level, which guys are bastards on other teams, how to avoid trouble outside of the rink, etc.. It's not just about teaching them hockey skills, it is also about life skills. These guys are young and rich and need guidance to avoid making big mistakes.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Amen, who cares about Matheson in the competing window to be honest...

Id even say that moving him today for drafted prospects ready to make the jump this year would probably be better for the window but I know thats not popular.
I agree with this.

This year or next year if he has a great year. Could get something interesting for him.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
If he establishes himself as a top pair D this year (producing 50+ pts) and we are out the playoffs with our young Ds looking amazing both in the NHL and junior (Reinbacher, Hutson, Engstrom and cie), I dont see any reason not to trade Matheson at this TDL for a blue chip F prospect +. Contenders would line up for that kind of vet at that kind of cap for 3 years. Matheson might be our only chance outside of the draft to acquire the type of elite F that we are lacking a bit. I could see a team like WAS being in a playoff spit in March and wanting to get stronger by adding a high end D. Maybe they could move Leonard?
incredibly unlikely to happen

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

He's a good, hardworking 5th D, but he has no idea how to read the O zone or when to pinch (no that Matheson is the BEST at it, but miles better for sure)
For starters, hes a player, not a coach. Secondo, Savard was a much better player than Matheson in his prime. Matheson isnt even that old if were honest, hes 29, hes in his prime. He still is in the learning process of his career.

Im saying that, rather than do a Gallagher again, maybe we should be smart and use players to build our team instead of letting them ruin our team because were emotionally attached.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014

Savard is a decent player and is recognized as one of the funniest guys in the room. Of course he doesnt have the pedigree of a Reinbacher, Guhle or Hutson, but he's solid.

Reactions: NewDef

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
For starters, hes a player, not a coach. Secondo, Savard was a much better player than Matheson in his prime. Matheson isnt even that old if were honest, hes 29, hes in his prime. He still is in the learning process of his career.

Im saying that, rather than do a Gallagher again, maybe we should be smart and use players to build our team instead of letting them ruin our team because were emotionally attached.
Matheson is already better than Savard ever was.

Reactions: MasterD

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He is vital to this young D core, they as much said so. The experience he brings is important.
I think giving him the "A" is a clear indication of what their plans are for him. They expect him to play the full three years. It would have to be a sizable overpayment to pry him away before then.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
This "contender window" concept is such a boring thing. We used to talk about hockey but now we have these concept troopers that turn a large part of the discussions into those redundant " too old, too young to fit in the Habs window" and "trade X-Y and Z for future values that will fit because all the players should be between 22 to 28 years old , if not, we will never be contender" ... sooooo funny !:help:

There isn't a recipe to win the Cup, a single way to proceed, not an age limit, neither it takes 6 x dmen #1 and 12 first liners to win it.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
This "contender window" concept is such a boring thing. We used to talk about hockey but now we have these concept troopers that turn a large part of the discussions into those redundant " too old, too young to fit in the Habs window" and "trade X-Y and Z for future values that will fit because all the players should be between 22 to 28 years old , if not, we will never be contender" ... sooooo funny !:help:

There isn't a recipe to win the Cup, a single way to proceed, not an age limit, neither it takes 6 x dmen #1 and 12 first liners to win it.
I'm still amazed to see that no one did more than 67 pts with Vegas last season. Granted, Eichel was PPG with something like 66 games, but still... I read all the time here about that "recipe" that needs a superstar C, etc.... Play like a team according to your strenghts and weaknesses, and good things may happen.

Reactions: bopeep

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
I don't see it, especially since he was just named as alternate. I also don't mind waiting until next year because he needs to build on his value. We've seen his amazing play down the stretch but there's definitely still some skepticism around the league. If he shows he's consistently worthy of a top-pair this year then he'll return more capital in a trade.

However, things can change quickly: if Guhle develops as planned and Hutson adapts quickly, I could see Matheson being traded next draft.
Yup and this upcoming year is the last of dead cap era. In 2024 summer GMs are gonna wanna splurge!

If Matheson builds on last season like you said, I agree I say trade him at the draft and get a haul.

Reactions: NekkiChiconey

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

You couldn't be more wrong on this. Savard has tons to teach as his IQ is very high in all 3 zones, and was a more dominant junior than any of the above mentioned players. In 2010 he won the Best Defensive Defenceman and best Defenceman in the Q with Moncton as well as Best Defenceman in the entire CHL. He lead his team in scoring by 9 points and lead them to a QMJHL Championship and Memorial Cup appearance.

He has never been a fast skater by any means and has definitely had to lean on his defensive game in the NHL but he did hit 36 points with Columbus and has a Stanley Cup ring, so to suggest that there is nothing that he can't impart on these young defenceman is absolutely crazy.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

Even if he has that good of a season, Matheson is definitely not going to return a blue chip asset.

Best case scenario is he return something like a late 1st, 2nd and +.

Fuonki

Jan 2, 2020
I'm still amazed to see that no one did more than 67 pts with Vegas last season...

The only reason for that is because Eichel and Stone missed a lot of games. Both are PPG players and their impact on-ice is also bigger than just their point totals. Stone might be the most consistent & complete player in the whole league. Just so good at everything year in, year out.

If you actually compare Vegas' team to ours, you could see that Suzuki and Caufield are currently a lot closer to Marchessault and Karlsson than they are to Eichel and Stone. The only thing we might emulate with Vegas is that if our key defensive prospects, including Engström, pan out we could similarly have one of the best defences in the entire league. But for sustained success we still need to find our two superstar players in my opinion. Hopefully Caufield shows us this year that he's one of them.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
there's a good return and then there's a Ryan Leonard type of return. gotta lower those expectations

Agreed. Nobody is going to grade a Grade A for Matheson. Best shot we have is taking picks and drafting our own hit. We don't have to be in a hurry to trade Matheson or Anderson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad