Prospect Info: Adam Engstrom

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
3? Count 'em, THREE advantages created, you say?
ccNYrNe.png
tom-hanks-jerk-it.gif

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
Matheson cannot be traded until and unless we have 3 guys who are top 1-3 calibre.
Right. With the plethora of Ds we have now, if we can't find 2 other (not Guhle) top3 guys within 3 years... we'll have bigger problems than trading Matheson. It's fine to keep him for a while but if you end up having to sign him for lack of quality Dmen... damn some of our prospects will have hit a wall at some point.

You're building for 2025 - 2035, and Matheson should NOT be considered an untouchable piece for that period of time.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Engstrom
Damn. I know we're all starved for offensive stars up-front but having high quality puck-movers throughout our entire D will be SO important for offense creation. I hope in 3 years we can all forget about 2010-2022, when 95% of zone exits were just "shooting the puck on the boards and hoping for a fortunate bounce".
Our dmen never really did our forwards any favors when we lost Markov and then PK , crazy to think we had some awful puck movers AND some awful offensive players you'd think a team would at least have one of those figured out after 10 years on the job by the maestro himself

Reactions: NekkiChiconey

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Engstrom can play on the right side. It’s the good thing about him and what could give him a good cha
Matheson cannot be traded until and unless we have 3 guys who are top 1-3 calibre.
Matheson will be 32 at the start of the first year of his next contract in 4 years, and turning 33 in February that year.

That leaves him 2 and a half years to build on next year and produce his best seasons, much like Petry did with the Habs later on in his career.

By the trade deadline in the final year of his current contract, his value will be at its highest, all on a reasonable 4.875M Cap hit per season.

The danger, here, will be extending Matheson at his peak value for first season in a new contract where he will be 33 years of age.

Would we want to make the same kind frisky signature as we did with Petry, extending Matheson for four years at primo dinero, through ages 33, 34, 35 and36, all with a higher probability of getting finishing returns?

Likely not.

However, Matheson will be worth a pretty penny to a Cup aspiring team in three years, with Montreal abletohold back half the remaining Cap hit at the deadline, enabling just about any team to add Matheson to their lineup and creating a ripe environment for bidding war to ensue.

If Montreal does not have a #1, #2 and #3 D at that point, should we overpay Matheson fort long a term by default?

Personally, I'm not all that worried that, beyond matheson, we won't have at least a #2 and a #3 D in place by then, with more than one #4 also on deck.

We might end up with a #2 - #4, #3 - #4 and #5 - #6 as a D-Corps. At that point, we'd still have enough Cap space to somehow acquire at least another #2 for the first pair, enabling us to have a #2-#2, #3-#4, #4-#5 as a top-6 for the D-Corps, good enough to be one of the better, deeper Ds in the league, IMO.

With 3 years of experience, Guhle should at least be a #2D, IMO. Reinbacher should at least slot into a #3D role. Then, we'd still have Hutson, Mailloux, Engstrom, Xhekaj, Harris and Barron, plus Trudeau.

Compensation for Matheson from a Cup contender could be quite interesting, even, potentially, a younger Matheson (like getting Matheson for Petry) and a late first round pick.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
Matheson will be 32 at the start of the first year of his next contract in 4 years, and turning 33 in February that year.

That leaves him 2 and a half years to build on next year and produce his best seasons, much like Petry did with the Habs later on in his career.

By the trade deadline in the final year of his current contract, his value will be at its highest, all on a reasonable 4.875M Cap hit per season.

The danger, here, will be extending Matheson at his peak value for first season in a new contract where he will be 33 years of age.

Would we want to make the same kind frisky signature as we did with Petry, extending Matheson for four years at primo dinero, through ages 33, 34, 35 and36, all with a higher probability of getting finishing returns?

Likely not.

However, Matheson will be worth a pretty penny to a Cup aspiring team in three years, with Montreal abletohold back half the remaining Cap hit at the deadline, enabling just about any team to add Matheson to their lineup and creating a ripe environment for bidding war to ensue.

If Montreal does not have a #1, #2 and #3 D at that point, should we overpay Matheson fort long a term by default?

Personally, I'm not all that worried that, beyond matheson, we won't have at least a #2 and a #3 D in place by then, with more than one #4 also on deck.

We might end up with a #2 - #4, #3 - #4 and #5 - #6 as a D-Corps. At that point, we'd still have enough Cap space to somehow acquire at least another #2 for the first pair, enabling us to have a #2-#2, #3-#4, #4-#5 as a top-6 for the D-Corps, good enough to be one of the better, deeper Ds in the league, IMO.

With 3 years of experience, Guhle should at least be a #2D, IMO. Reinbacher should at least slot into a #3D role. Then, we'd still have Hutson, Mailloux, Engstrom, Xhekaj, Harris and Barron, plus Trudeau.

Compensation for Matheson from a Cup contender could be quite interesting, even, potentially, a younger Matheson (like getting Matheson for Petry) and a late first round pick.
Right on. Let's not fall into the trap of signing a 33 year-old for big money to be our 1D, just because he hasn't been pushed down to 4LD by then.

If he builds on his value in the next 2.5 years, great: trade him for a king's ransom.
If he falls off and others overtake him, great: sign him at discount price and keep him as a vet.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Watched him last night. One thing that I want to see him improve this season is his rush defence. He's going to produce quite an offensive highlight reel this year, but at present NHL forwards would eat him alive on the rush. With his skating he can be much more aggressive though.

You mean they blow around him ? So his gap control isn't that good or lateral moment?

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I'm still trying to remember whether Engstrom was a defense first kind of player learning to explore the offensive side of the game or the other way around because man, he looks good on either side of the puck! A couple of those later clips where he's defending - he just blankets the forward and sucks all the oxygen out of any opportunity given. What a beauty!!!
Defensive dmen who started to work on his offense in the 2nd half of his D0 and continued to do so afterward with Rogle.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Everytime I see Engstrom he looks like Alec Martinez in term of playstyle and look on the ice. Kind of big frame all around D that can play in every situation

Reactions: NewDef and Redux91

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Everytime I see Engstrom he looks like Alec Martinez in term of playstyle and look on the ice. Kind of big frame all around D that can play in every situation
Agreed about style and potential. Let us hope he has the same career in MTL (3 SC rings in 12 years) ;)

Reactions: Maitz

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Last game I watched he wasn't establishing a tight gap at all, gave the attacker way too much space.
Ouch, he will get killed here.. Good news is he is a pretty good skater and we will teach him to play a more aggressive game and tighter coverage. Question will be his being able to adapt to reacting faster.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Huge steal by Habs right there. He looks like a stud to me. Potential to be more than just a top 4 D in my eyes. This guy is more than legit.

Reactions: NewDef and Tyson

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

Likely not.

If in a few years Matheson is our 1D then we are in trouble.

We have a ton of young D men and we like a lot of them and are penciling them into the 6 spots. Well we know most fail. Last year the guys really just proved they may be NHL players, and that was great. This year is exciting to see if players start showing they could be top 3 or 4. Will take 3 -4 years most likely.

Guy like Hutson we will only know when he gets here. Tremendous promise but he needs to get here. Reinbacher may be knocking in a year or two.

Fingers crossed.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Right. With the plethora of Ds we have now, if we can't find 2 other (not Guhle) top3 guys within 3 years... we'll have bigger problems than trading Matheson. It's fine to keep him for a while but if you end up having to sign him for lack of quality Dmen... damn some of our prospects will have hit a wall at some point.

You're building for 2025 - 2035, and Matheson should NOT be considered an untouchable piece for that period of time.
Amen, who cares about Matheson in the competing window to be honest...

Id even say that moving him today for drafted prospects ready to make the jump this year would probably be better for the window but I know thats not popular.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004

Id even say that moving him today for drafted prospects ready to make the jump this year would probably be better for the window but I know thats not popular.
I agree in principle that he's not important in relation to our window, but our blueline is already very young and inexperienced. It's him and Savard with Guhle, Barron, Kovacevic, Xhekaj, Harris, etc. Eventually Reinbacher, Mailloux, Hutson, Engstrom.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to trade him in this context.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I agree in principle that he's not important in relation to our window, but our blueline is already very young and inexperienced. It's him and Savard with Guhle, Barron, Kovacevic, Xhekaj, Harris, etc. Eventually Reinbacher, Mailloux, Hutson, Engstrom.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to trade him in this context.
Savards there for this and vets can be acquired on the cheap, we don't need to waste assets just for vet presence.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon

I don't see it, especially since he was just named as alternate. I also don't mind waiting until next year because he needs to build on his value. We've seen his amazing play down the stretch but there's definitely still some skepticism around the league. If he shows he's consistently worthy of a top-pair this year then he'll return more capital in a trade.

However, things can change quickly: if Guhle develops as planned and Hutson adapts quickly, I could see Matheson being traded next draft.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Savards there for this and vets can be acquired on the cheap, we don't need to waste assets just for vet presence.
Dude what is Savard going to teach Guhle, Hutson or even Mailloux?

He's a good, hardworking 5th D, but he has no idea how to read the O zone or when to pinch (no that Matheson is the BEST at it, but miles better for sure)

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
How to be an NHLer, what it takes, what not to do, etc... So lot's of things.

Yes. And Matheson is an offensive D man and we have a bunch of young D we hope develop their offensive game well enough to be top 3, and Matheson will help them

Reactions: dralaf

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Dude what is Savard going to teach Guhle, Hutson or even Mailloux?

He's a good, hardworking 5th D, but he has no idea how to read the O zone or when to pinch (no that Matheson is the BEST at it, but miles better for sure)

Savard isn't a coach or on the hockey development staff. Neither is Matheson. Neither of them are there to teach those guys. They'll impart wisdom from experience and serve as role models as well as eat tough minutes, but they aren't trainers.

I think you're also only considering the player Savard is now vs the player he was. Savard in his prime was a very smart and effective D-man. He's got plenty he can show the young guys, even if he can't physically do it anymore.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad