Prospect Info: Adam Engstrom

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Come on. Makar, Fox, Heiskanen, Dahlin are all more valuable and that's just for defensemen. I value Guhle extremely high, he's an untouchable along with 22 and 14, but I think you take it a notch too far lol. I believe he can reach that level, the sky is the limit as he's the whole package, but he's not there yet and has had injuries that may or may not have a long-term impact.
Fox is getting older, and I think Guhle can end up similar to him and Heiskanen. Makar and the Dahlin, sure.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Something about the way he can cut through players so smoothly makes it look very translatable. It's not that he's overly fast, just so smart he can naturally handle the puck in a way where it's too hard for players to reach it.
Yeah, he already plays a very north american kind of game.

Reactions: SupRocket

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Guhle is easily worth more than Sandin who never could cement a place in the Leaf's lineup. If you were talking about Harris then no, I don't think Harris can fetch a late first round pick.

Yeah I meant Harris, feel like he's very underrated due to not being as offensively flashy. I believe people are size-queening him too much. He's still a rookie and frankly the best rookie D season Montreal has seen since Subban. Because he's smaller, he needs to work to figuring out the best way to win more battles against bigger guys but he makes so many smart plays.

Guhle has an advantage of not needing to always outsmart guys so unless he doesn't develop he'll always be more valuable just by his tools. Engstrom also has the frame to become big enough to do the same.

Last edited:

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
How the hell he went to the 3rd round? We are looking at 1st round talent here.
He was playing in the shadow of Odelius in J20, probably flew under the radar. Also, Habs hold their own Euro combines, probably made a strong impression like Romanov did some yrs ago. Recrutes had him ranked 73th OV, HP had him unranked, but had a pretty positive write-up on him.

His game was described as not overly flashy, but incredibly reliable and kid didnt get the attention he should given the stacked team he was playing on.

Last edited:

Kiss Under the Guy

Mar 21, 2022
For sure. But I'm interested to see who he values. IMO, not including Matheson, I'd go Guhle - Hutson - Harris - Engstrom.
Guhle - Hutson - Xhekaj
He should trade away Harris when his value is at its top in the next calendar year, to make room for Hutson

Kiss Under the Guy

Mar 21, 2022
Hutson doesn't need room in the next calendar year.
I was under the impression he'd make the Harris jump to the NHL to burn the first year of his contract. I'd make the room anyway if we can get a good asset of Harris value in a position of need, before he loses value because of lack of quality playing time

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Our LD is so deep!!!!

Matheson-Ghule-Hutson-Xhekaj-Harris-Engstrom-Struble-Trudeau
Exactly. We all know we can't keep them all. To me Matheson, Xhekaj and Guhle are the future regulars. Not sure what happens to the rest. We have time with Hutson, Struble and Engstrom.
Engstrom may be the biggest wildcard of the group.

Barron is a fixture in a future top 4 spot.

I'd trade Barron to Win in a deal for Dubois and play Harris on the Third defensive pair as a RHD.
Good thing you aren't the GM

Reactions: bopeep and EveryDay

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Unless I’m mistaken, Engstrom is the highest scoring defenseman from the 2022 NHL draft in the SHL. I would have to go back and check the stats, but I think he’s also the highest scoring Swedish prospect (all positions) from the 2022 NHL draft in the SHL. Marco Kasper has 7 more points in the SHL as a forward, but he’s Austrian.

Most of the Swedish prospects drafted in 2022 have either been in Swedish JR hockey or the Allsvenskan (2nd tier).

All that to say, he’s been extremely impressive.

Last edited:

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
Unless I’m mistaken, Engstrom is the highest scoring defenseman from the 2022 NHL draft in the SHL. I would have to go back and check the stats, but I think he’s also the highest scoring Swedish prospect (all positions) from the 2022 NHL draft. Marco Kasper has 7 more points in the SHL as a forward, but he’s Austrian.

Most of the Swedish prospects drafted in 2022 have either been in Swedish JR hockey or the Allsvenskan (2nd tier).

All that to say, he’s been extremely impressive.
IMHO, Engstrom is our best all around defenseman prospect. He did everything right. Good size, Good speed, good hand, good move, good shot, play physical when needed. I don't know why his team used him as 3rd pair. He should be at least playing as 2nd pair unless the other defensemen are so much better than him.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yeah I meant Harris, feel like he's very underrated due to not being as offensively flashy. I believe people are size-queening him too much. He's still a rookie and frankly the best rookie D Montreal has seen since Subban. Because he's smaller, he needs to work to figuring out the best way to win more battles against bigger guys but he makes so many smart plays.

Guhle has an advantage of not needing to always outsmart guys so unless he doesn't develop he'll always be more valuable just by his tools. Engstrom also has the frame to become big enough to do the same.
What? Harris isn't even close to Guhle as a player.

Heck, even Barron has showed tremendously more than Harris as a rookie.

Reactions: Tyson

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
After the Nygren, Norlinder and all the other euro dman fiasco with all the hype they got, i will wait before being excited.

He looks promising, though.

I get what you’re saying, but neither one of those players were even in the SHL at 19 years old, let alone picking up 16 points. I was always left disappointed watching Norlinder. Yes he had flashes where he showed his talent but they were few and far between. He really lacked (lacks) consistency in his game among other things. Hopefully Engstrom continues to develop as he doesn’t really have very many flaws in his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad