Prospect Info: Adam Engstrom

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Wallinder was a 2nd round pick in 2020 by the Red Wings. Last year he played his first full year in the SHL with Rogle and finished his rookie year with 19 pts in 47 games.

Engstrom, being a 3rd round pick in 2022 is currently playing his rookie year in the SHL with Rogle, and is on pace for 18 pts in 43 games.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Pundits are starting to love this guy when, as of June 15th, 2022, some weren't even sure if this kid should be called at the draft?

Development, for some, comes quickly.

They all had great things to say about Engstrom before the draft, but everyone thought his offense would be limited.

In fact, with Guhle, before he had been traded to the Oil Kings, everyone thought his offense was limited.

Sometimes, it's just about opportunity and a coach believing in you to give you the confidence to play like you can and not hold back anymore.

I hope this kid, a solid skater and defender with offensive upside who is a lefty that can play the right side can become our Swiss knife on the back end in a few years...

He could make players like Harris and Kovacevic expendable...

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
This guy is outproducing Heineman in the same league, while also being a defenseman and 2 years younger. And they say Heineman will be in the NHL next year. I'm on board with this prospect.
Engstrom is good, but Heineman is usual over-hype. He is behind Lehkonen at the same age. I don't think he can step right into a 3rd line role next year as many have him doing.

Farrell is way ahead of him.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Engstrom is good, but Heineman is usual over-hype. He is behind Lehkonen at the same age. I don't think he can step right into a 3rd line role next year as many have him doing.

Farrell is way ahead of him.
Heinemen is a perfect candidate for a 1 year AHL transition.

Maybe Farrell too.

They'd both get a ton of NHL time given the usual injury situation.

Reactions: NewDef and Tyson

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This guy is outproducing Heineman in the same league, while also being a defenseman and 2 years younger. And they say Heineman will be in the NHL next year. I'm on board with this prospect.

Like usual, production is not the sole area to evaluate. Especially for middle of the line-up types. Remember Norlinder's hype? Good production but can't compete with NHL men and in a league where time and space can make you look like you are learning hockey all over again.

I actually like both Engstrom and Heineman. Both have grit to their game and it's well suited for that middle of the line-up role.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Heineman has a long way to go to prove he can play in the NHL.

Difficult to know but I think he is well suited with his size/skating/shot. How is his hockey IQ? That's going to reveal to us if he is ready or not. He played well in camp and he has a NHL shot.

I don't think Farrell is way ahead of him personally. Both have outside chance at earning a NHL spot next year. When the roster is healthy, I see a few openings but the competition will be tough cause there are a few of them that will be fighting for a spot.

Regardless, it's a good situation. Laval will be stronger cause not all of them will make it.

Reactions: HankyZetts

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Difficult to know but I think he is well suited with his size/skating/shot. How is his hockey IQ? That's going to reveal to us if he is ready or not.

I don't think Farrell is way ahead of him personally. Both have outside chance at earning a NHL spot next year. When the roster is healthy, I see a few openings.
Heineman seems to always get hurt, he will fit right in

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
All I know is that Heineman looked really good at camp. He was way faster than I thought and his shot is pretty damn good.

I've honestly given up analyzing and trying to project prospects from Sweden and Finland. It's like not even the same game. Whatever happens, happens.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
All I know is that Heineman looked really good at camp. He was way faster thought and his shot is pretty damn good.

I've honestly given up analyzing and trying to project prospects from Sweden and Finland. It's like not even the same game. Whatever happens, happens.

I think a lot of fans either forget or are not aware of your 1st sentence. It's accurate. Doesn't mean he will have a sure shot roster spot but I do know the Habs value his game and he performed well in camp. He's a good middle of the line-up piece regardless of if he makes the NHL next year or not. Size/Shot/Skating is very good.

Look at Hyman at age 21. 17 pts with 7 goals in 35 NCAA games. There are way too many fans who evaluate from points only. In a lot of cases, it comes down to usage and chemistry with your line-mates. I think Heineman could be a Hyman type if he reaches his ceiling. Not probable but that's the type of player we might have if he continues to develop well. Got to get past the injury bug though

I remember saying a few years back... Why is Norlinder rated higher than Harris? I got ridiculed by a few posters... even the good ones who think they know prospects well.

Back to Engstrom. He's on a good track. I like the grit to his game. Something Norlinder never had.

Last edited:

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
All I know is that Heineman looked really good at camp. He was way faster than I thought and his shot is pretty damn good.

I thought Heineman looked good at camp too. I think he's gonna make it as a middle sixer in the NHL. He has pretty good hockey tools and knows pretty well how to use them. To me, it's mostly about refining his game in order to be consistent shift to shift.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I thought Heineman looked good at camp too. I think he's gonna make it as a middle sixer in the NHL. He has pretty good hockey tools and knows pretty well how to use them. To me, it's mostly about refining his game in order to be consistent shift to shift.
Kind of player who could get bumped on a top 6 if you need to, also.

His type of game fits more north american hockey than bigger ice.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
Him and Heineman need to get used to the smaller rinks but they seem to read/compute fast enough to use their tools effectively.

The transition is not to be underestimated. I have kids which are big ice superstars and crap out on small area play.

I think these guys will adapt well contrary to some other euros.

Reactions: Tetragrammaton

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Some of you guys need to understand when someone says a player looks like X or makes a play that looked like X doesn't mean that person is saying that's their potential.
7CFBA7B0-D872-4940-A1C8-EA7A96DE1D23.gif

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I hope Tourigny is signed.

I wanted him the year before. Granted, no seeing, but putting up those numbers as a d in any CHL league is worth a pick.

Engstrom has certainly surprised.

Might be better for him to stay and play in the SHL another year.
Really hope they let him stay in SHL and he becomes a top pairing D with 25+ points in SHL (which would be really good for a 20 year old).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad