Player Discussion Adam Clendening

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
And which four teams have let Clendening go?

Chicago, Edmonton, Pittsburgh, and Vancouver.

Two teams with suspect defense corps, and two teams who couldn't tell a defenseman from a ****ing banana. Not exactly the greatest example to follow.

You're forgetting Anaheim. Pitt traded him to Anaheim, who waived him, which subsequently led to Edm picking him up. The NYR are his 6th roster in 1 year and 5 months, and 20% of the league has had had an opportunity to take a chance on him. And Edmonton gave him a pretty decent look with 20 games played and some solid minutes. He was into the lineup and scratched 5 different times, sitting 12 of the 32 games he was there. A major mistake leading to a GWG with 4 games left seemed to seal his fate. He played about 6 mins that game and Edm scratched him the last 3 games and didn't qualify him. He's only 24 and may have something. But the 6 rosters in less than a year and a half, averaging less than 10 games per team, 3 trades, two successive pay cuts, not being qualified and being waived are all there, too.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
You're forgetting Anaheim. Pitt traded him to Anaheim, who waived him, which subsequently led to Edm picking him up. The NYR are his 6th roster in 1 year and 5 months, and 20% of the league has had had an opportunity to take a chance on him. And Edmonton gave him a pretty decent look with 20 games played and some solid minutes. He was into the lineup and scratched 5 different times, sitting 12 of the 32 games he was there. A major mistake leading to a GWG with 4 games left seemed to seal his fate. He played about 6 mins that game and Edm scratched him the last 3 games and didn't qualify him. He's only 24 and may have something. But the 6 rosters in less than a year and a half, averaging less than 10 games per team, 3 trades, two successive pay cuts, not being qualified and being waived are all there, too.

Ottawa just waved our 2nd goal scorer yesterday. 25 other teams had the chance to take him for free

You are now not allowed to assert Puempel has any positive potential.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Given the way this team is constructed and plays, having a Dman who can actually transition the puck out of the defensive zone is a helluva lot more valuable than whatever it is that Girardi brings to the table. It also mitigates the disaster that is Marc Staal's "puckhandling ability".

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Hmm given the record so far, I think the Rangers are comfortable with their lead protecting ability on the backend.

They need depth. A guy like Brian Strait. Or Nick Schultz in case of injuries and minutes.

I just don't see a impact trade on the backend being entertained until the trade deadline.

The way the forwards slot by then should set the table for another playoff run.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
Id rather play 5 D than Brian Strait

Absolutely awful hockey player.

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
Ottawa just waved our 2nd goal scorer yesterday. 25 other teams had the chance to take him for free

You are now not allowed to assert Puempel has any positive potential.

Of course, I live on the west coast. Outside of the Rangers, I typically watch West games and have barely seen Puempel play. However, I don't believe I've actually stated any positive or negative opinion on any of the new guys. Yet you keep sliding off to this unrelated tangent. My point, once again, revolved around someone's rationale for saying something, who isn't even you, and I was curious about their reasoning behind it. So I asked. I'm not sure why this isn't sinking in for you. It isn't any personal attack against that person. I asked because I respect their opinion.

Bear in mind, this is my second account here. I closed the last one to do world travel and to also focus on my daughter being born. No HF for like 2 years. But my former account goes back to I believe 2004 and I know who is who. Folks can have differing points of view and discuss them. If they're not dismissive, condescending and are open to listen, these communications can be a good way to expand. This is why I directed my post to a person who typically gives well thought out explanations.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Hmm given the record so far, I think the Rangers are comfortable with their lead protecting ability on the backend.

They need depth. A guy like Brian Strait. Or Nick Schultz in case of injuries and minutes.

I just don't see a impact trade on the backend being entertained until the trade deadline.

The way the forwards slot by then should set the table for another playoff run.

None of them are better than Clendening

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I'm just trying to understand the logic behind this 6 teams thing and why it's the prevalent rebuttal to any assertion that Clendening is a useful player (generally speaking).

Not accusing anyone of anything, but there is a difference between hoping a guy can turn a corner becoming a career NHLer and asserting the coach is a no-knowing hack who couldn't see talent with an electron microscope.

I know appealing to authority isn't the most popular thing around here, but at some point you just have to appreciate when a guy has moved around a ton. Hell, it might not even be an on-ice issue. My rule is that if it seems weird I assume there's something going on I don't know about. Or that I'm the no-knowing hack :laugh:

(Fully aware how unsatisfactory my answer may be :laugh:)

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
I'm just trying to understand the logic behind this 6 teams thing and why it's the prevalent rebuttal to any assertion that Clendening is a useful player (generally speaking).

That's legit. I watched him play in Edm and he was not so hot. However, I really don't want to fall too heavily on that either and don't love mentioning it. It was 20 games, and a young kid with a new team.

It's honestly not any one thing: it's a gut feel incorporating all the factors. I posted some thoughts from Oiler fans on him in the GDT, if you'd like additional perspectives. I think they're a little harsh. Then again, I am entirely indifferent when I watch Edm, so who knows. Look man, I like the kid and I'd love for him to do well and make the team better, as much as I'd love for someone to be playing in place of Klein and Girardi right now. I just don't feel confident Clendening's that guy. But he is young and there's room to grow, so here's hoping I'm wrong.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Not accusing anyone of anything, but there is a difference between hoping a guy can turn a corner becoming a career NHLer and asserting the coach is a no-knowing hack who couldn't see talent with an electron microscope.

I know appealing to authority isn't the most popular thing around here, but at some point you just have to appreciate when a guy has moved around a ton. Hell, it might not even be an on-ice issue. My rule is that if it seems weird I assume there's something going on I don't know about. Or that I'm the no-knowing hack :laugh:

I get what you're saying but I always look back to the case of Stralman. He had been drafted by the Leafs and played with them, traded to Calgary where he was then traded to CBJ in the same offseason, then invited to NJD camp where he was cut in 2011. He had been part of 4 different teams in the span of 4 years and looked like he was going nowhere. This isn't to say that Clendening will be Stralman because that's an extreme example but maybe you have a defenseman that turns into something decent who for whatever reason didn't work out in other places or wasn't given a chance.

He's 24, has looked very good in the small sample size he's been here, and he possesses a skill set that is desperately needed on a defense that's loaded with average to below average passers. I don't know what goes on behind the scenes but from the public eye, especially with the way some of the defense has played, it seems like a no brainer to get him more games.

And for ***** and giggles...

Clendening dressed for two of the November games and only played in one. There were three sets of back to backs and the Rangers just finished a stretch of 4 games in 5.5/6 days depending on how you interpret the Friday afternoon start.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
I get what you're saying but I always look back to the case of Stralman. He had been drafted by the Leafs and played with them, traded to Calgary where he was then traded to CBJ in the same offseason, then invited to NJD camp where he was cut in 2011. He had been part of 4 different teams in the span of 4 years and looked like he was going nowhere. This isn't to say that Clendening will be Stralman because that's an extreme example but maybe you have a defenseman that turns into something decent who for whatever reason didn't work out in other places or wasn't given a chance.

He's 24, has looked very good in the small sample size he's been here, and he possesses a skill set that is desperately needed on a defense that's loaded with average to below average passers. I don't know what goes on behind the scenes but from the public eye, especially with the way some of the defense has played, it seems like a no brainer to get him more games.

Clendening dressed for two of the November games and only played in one. There were three sets of back to backs and the Rangers just finished a stretch of 4 games in 5.5/6 days depending on how you interpret the Friday afternoon start.

and it tells you even more how much AV hates Mcilrath lol

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

That probably has more to do with feeding Girardi minutes through a funnel, Fast in an offensive role, and the whole Tanner Glass thing.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
McDonagh - Stralman
Yandle - Clendening
Skjei - Diaz

Oh what could have been

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
Only thing is we don't get to see him in practice everyday. AV has a much larger sample size to work with than we do

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

He's the 7th and I'm bot even sure he'd stay that in a playoff game since kampfer has experience too and Graves is the best call up

They also likely deal fir a righty D in a perfect world

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
McDonagh - Stralman
Yandle - Clendening
Skjei - Diaz

Oh what could have been

Two of those players never held down full time NHL jobs. I'm a huge EA NHL guy, have been for close to two decades. But that's just video game thinking. Just because a guy controls better with the puck on his stick in the game doesn't mean it translates to real life.

Fulfilling the job description is the most basic ask for defensemen, Rangers are happy having 6 guys that can protect a lead and toss pucks out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad