Post-Game Talk: 9/26 PRESEASON 1 - Blue Jackets 3 BRUINS 2 - F/SO

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Trouba is a generational player. Wow. I had him pegged in the Glen Wesley good solid 2/3 'I like you but want more'

Yes generational is a ?? but potential who the heck knows. Let's see what he garnishes. That's a pretty good indication of value for a young player with major upside. Not very often a D of his caliber is available and if it takes giving up a Krug so be it. Love the sarcasm yes deserved on the generational thing lol.

Last edited:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Generational is a ?? but he has the potential. Let's see what he garnishes. That's a pretty good indication for value for a young player with upside. Not very often a D becomes available and if it takes giving up a Krug so be it.

This robbing Peter to pay Paul mentality does nothing for Boston. If they cannot find a way (3rd team) to get Trouba without giving up a current (legit) Top 4 D-man, the deal makes no sense.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Generational is a ?? but he has the potential. Let's see what he garnishes. That's a pretty good indication for value for a young player with upside. Not very often a D becomes available and if it takes giving up a Krug so be it.

Factoring in Boston's two kids on right side and Krug's tangible and intangibles he's a great fit on Boston.

I like Trouba but I'd like him a heck of a lot more if he shot left

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I agree however fans will be more than excited to have a Trouba on the team who is no slouch for offense / creativity at the same time brings some major physical presence. Just saw your post and disagree. I believe he is a generational player. Watch what the Jets get for him...that will indicate generational.

Have you even seen Trouba play?

He's good to very good at a lot of things, but I certainly wouldn't give him high marks in creativity.

And the ship sailed on dealing Krug at this point the minute he signed his extension. Teams just don't commit to RFAs for 4 years only to turn around and deal them before the season even starts.

Down the road we'll see but it's not happening right now here in late Sept./early Oct.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
I thought Mueller looked like the best forward on the ice. Carlo and Zboril made some nice plays. I like how Heinen always seems to go to the net mouth looking for tips/rebounds. De Brusk looks like he could turn into an effective energy player in due time. Hayes was in the right spot to bang home the beauty pass but still seems slow in comparison to those around him.

Overall a pretty fun time to be watching the prospects play, large amount of young talent in the pool.

This is trolling right, he was invisible for the most part. DeBrusk, Heinen, Randell, Czarnik, Kuraly, Hargrove in his limited ice time and even Hayes easily outplayed him. There is no way he makes this team unless there is a rash of injuries.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
This is trolling right, he was invisible for the most part. DeBrusk, Heinen, Randell, Czarnik, Kuraly, Hargrove in his limited ice time and even Hayes easily outplayed him. There is no way he makes this team unless there is a rash of injuries.

I noticed him one shift in the offensive zone. I think he fell down about 3 times in 20 seconds.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Carlo, Czarnik looked very good.

DeBrusk, Heinen, Zboril, O'Gara looked good.

Mueller isn't making this team.

Griffith looked awful.

100% agree.

Carlo - He looks so smooth and his gap control and stick position are fantastic. He plays physical and isn't afraid to jump in the play or make a stretch pass. In all honesty he seems to be everything that's ailing the Bruins defense in one package.

Czarnik - Great game, so much creativity and he seems comfortable anywhere in the offensive zone. He looks for space and then does a good job finding seams to pass. Really think he gets the brass thinking again about Spooners future with the team sooner rather than later.

DeBrusk - Smart game, good forechecking and great back check. He may not be your traditional speedster but his hustle and grit make up for it. Great hands and offensive sense. Solid all around player.

Heinen - Got better as the game went on. Gets to the net with timing but does go to the dirty areas. Could have had a couple of goals last night. Good all around first preseason showing.

Zboril - Very raw in the defensive zone and gets tunnel vision but his skill is unbelievable. Made some of the nicest breakout passes of the night and does so quickly. Needs some serious work in his own end and another year in the Q could help.

O'Gara - Solid showing got playing his off side and looked better than expected offensively. I like his use of a quick wrist/snap shot from the point rather than a big slap shot. I'd like to see a few more games from him but again it was another solid first showing of a preseason game.

Mueller - Soft, weak on the puck and there were a couple of times he went full on Seguin and pumped his arms going into the corner while his legs just kind of coasted to get him there second. I expected more from someone trying to back in the NHL. I get he's a skilled player but I was disappointed with his game.

Griffith - When Jimmy Hayes is on the ice and you still look like the worst player by far, it just isn't your night. I'm hoping he improves as the preseason goes on but he was a turnover machine last night.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
Love Krug but Trouble from Winnipeg is a much needed beast. We have a number of players in the system that can replace Krug.

Matt Grzylck.... but he's raw, and krug just signed an extension this summer, I don't see him being on the move yet. i move O'gara ++ maybe or morrow ++

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
As mentioned earlier, Krug+ for Trouba is robbing Peter to pay Paul. He is now part of the fabric of this team and will have a letter at some point in the future. He brings a lot of intangibles too, leadership, character. This is not realistic.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
As mentioned earlier, Krug+ for Trouba is robbing Peter to pay Paul. He is now part of the fabric of this team and will have a letter at some point in the future. He brings a lot of intangibles too, leadership, character. This is not realistic.

Projecting here but.....not unrealistic to think 3/4 of the top 4 and a very good top 4 by definition is in the organization. Can't reep the fruits yet but there could be a nice harvest and others as well to be displayed

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
It is only one game and not all the guys showed what they have but the cream rose to the top. Carlo played just like he did in the World Juniors. Steady, strong and calm, the other team was well aware of him. He has what it takes and in a few years will be in the top 4, he is that good already. Heinen, DeBrusk and Czarnik impressed me. Kuraly has some speed knew nothing about him, he was not bad as was Cehlarik. Zboril and O'Gara were steady, basically a notch below Carlo.

Now the bad, Griffith and Randell looked slow and lost in their own end, time may have passed them in the system. Mueller has skill but should be a Hab, he just looked like a spy out there. Lets see what Gabrielle, Senyshyn and the rest can bring to the next game. Competition and shear numbers of talent bodes well for the future. So much better then hoping one or two guys can improve the skating or gain weight or be better 200 foot players. The depth gives them so many options and trade bait possibilities.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
I thought Mueller looked like the best forward on the ice. Carlo and Zboril made some nice plays. I like how Heinen always seems to go to the net mouth looking for tips/rebounds. De Brusk looks like he could turn into an effective energy player in due time. Hayes was in the right spot to bang home the beauty pass but still seems slow in comparison to those around him.

Overall a pretty fun time to be watching the prospects play, large amount of young talent in the pool.

While I wouldn't go so far as to say he looked like the best forward, I'm in the minority with you and thought Mueller showed well. He definitely went quiet in the second half, but in the first period I thought he made more skilled plays than anyone not named Czarnik. Certainly looked to my eyes to outperform Cehlarik and Kuraly. Not sure why Cave, Hargrove, Kuraly are getting rave reviews while Mueller gets crapped on. Kuraly in particular, who aside from skating really fast, the only moment that stood out for me was when he was carrying the puck on a 3 on 1 and without even threatening a pass took a weak-ass clapper from the boards.

:dunno:

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
It is only one game and not all the guys showed what they have but the cream rose to the top. Carlo played just like he did in the World Juniors. Steady, strong and calm, the other team was well aware of him. He has what it takes and in a few years will be in the top 4, he is that good already. Heinen, DeBrusk and Czarnik impressed me. Kuraly has some speed knew nothing about him, he was not bad as was Cehlarik. Zboril and O'Gara were steady, basically a notch below Carlo.

Now the bad, Griffith and Randell looked slow and lost in their own end, time may have passed them in the system. Mueller has skill but should be a Hab, he just looked like a spy out there. Lets see what Gabrielle, Senyshyn and the rest can bring to the next game. Competition and shear numbers of talent bodes well for the future. So much better then hoping one or two guys can improve the skating or gain weight or be better 200 foot players. The depth gives them so many options and trade bait possibilities.

Now this assessment at least I can understand :laugh:

It's that bloody goatee. Reminds me of Peter Schaeffer and his soul patch.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
Carlo, Czarnik looked very good.

DeBrusk, Heinen, Zboril, O'Gara looked good.

Mueller isn't making this team.

Griffith looked awful.

I agree I looked O'Garas game he was better than I expected but that doesn't mean much. But the names you listed definitely stuck out.

Griffith was a disappointment he had one good shift late in the game but overall not a good night.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I agree I looked O'Garas game he was better than I expected but that doesn't mean much. But the names you listed definitely stuck out.

Griffith was a disappointment he had one good shift late in the game but overall not a good night.

Griffith was ineffective.

But one thing to remember is back in Sept. 2015, Griffith was the pre-season darling. So I'd be surprised if he doesn't play better. Maybe not good enough to make the team, but better.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
Agree on Carlo and think he has a good chance of making the team. I was impressed with both goalies too. I really like Khudobin and could not understand why they let him walk last year. Was surprised and pleased with Morrow's progress but it was only one game. We'll see if he keeps it up. Hope more preseason games are on NESN.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Projecting here but.....not unrealistic to think 3/4 of the top 4 and a very good top 4 by definition is in the organization. Can't reep the fruits yet but there could be a nice harvest and others as well to be displayed

Well they have about 6 D prospects they've drafted in the last few years so I'd certainly hope they have multiple top 4 guys in that group. But the problem remains when they will contribute.

I mean let's look at Trouba, for example. He was drafted #9 overall, so as far as prospects go he was drafted higher than any player in the Bruins organization. He jumped into the NHL what, one full season after being drafted? So far that's ahead of anyone in Boston who wasn't drafted this summer. He's played 3 full seasons and while people are convinced he'll garner a ton on the trade market due to his potential, there are still questions about this upside.

So, that brings us back to the Boston kids. Unless they develop faster than this kid who made the NHL one year after his draft and was good enough to make Team North America, they are at best 3 years from contributing. That makes David Krejci 33-34 years old. Chara is retired. Backes is 35-36. I still say if that's the timeline for competing for a Cup, they are going to have a whole new set of problems to deal with.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Agree on Carlo and think he has a good chance of making the team. I was impressed with both goalies too. I really like Khudobin and could not understand why they let him walk last year. Was surprised and pleased with Morrow's progress but it was only one game. We'll see if he keeps it up. Hope more preseason games are on NESN.

He wanted the opportunity to compete for a starter's job and knew he wasn't going to get that here. He left, more than the Bruins let him walk.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I think some of these young guys could surprise and push for big league jobs sooner rather than later. I would have no problem using O'Gara and Arnesson on 3rd pairing D. I would also try to see if some guys like Carlo for example can play in the NHL now before selling the farm for a #2-3 type D-man.

As for guys that I would like to see gone, Jimmy Hayes to me has to be traded, Seth Griffith does have good hands, but speed he does not have and that is not good when you are a smaller player, he could be a guy the B's add to a deal to be the extra + added. Riley Nash and Peter Mueller just take ups spots that should be used for our own prospects eg. Heinen and Czarnik. Czarnik also could easily replace Spooner who could then be dealt for D help if they go that route.

ElkabombKid9

May 18, 2007
Boston
I thought Carlo, and Czarnik were easily the two best players for the B's and really stood out. I could definitely see them making it out of camp. Czarnik maybe just while Vatrano's out.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Agree with those who said Carlo looked great.

Czarnik will play some games with the Bruins this year.

Debrusk was very involved in the play, not shy to go in the dirty areas.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I thought Carlo, and Czarnik were easily the two best players for the B's and really stood out. I could definitely see them making it out of camp. Czarnik maybe just while Vatrano's out.

I can see Czarnik replacing Spooner. Sponner is very good trade chip. I'm not saying this based on one Czarnik pre-season game. He brought it all year in Providence and has the will and drive and energy and great speed to play in the NHL.

I think Brick or Jack said it, Czarnik reminds them a little bit like Tyler Johnson. :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad