Post-Game Talk: 9/26 PRESEASON 1 - Blue Jackets 3 BRUINS 2 - F/SO

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
I can see Czarnik replacing Spooner. Sponner is very good trade chip. I'm not saying this based on one Czarnik pre-season game. He brought it all year in Providence and has the will and drive and energy and great speed to play in the NHL.

I think Brick or Jack said it, Czarnik reminds them a little bit like Tyler Johnson. :yo:

I am worried we will see a Khoko type result with Czarnik in the NHL. He is tiny and easily out muscled every time last night, although he did show skill, speed, and effort.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
So by my estimation this is our lineup going into the season (right now):

Marchand Bergy Spooner
Beleksey Krejci Pasta
XXX Backes Hayes
XXX Nash XXX

Ignoring the Spooner/Backes debate...we have 1 definite forward spot open in the top 9, and likely two given Hayes is one of them penciled in.

Point is, I see a VERY good opportunity for Debrusk/Heinen/Czarnik to show what they're made of.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I thought Kevan Miller looked good last night as well.

I don't think anyone questions that hes a decent NHL d man, but I don't want him any other place than bottom pairing RHD. I also think everyone feels the exact same way about McQuaid.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I tried to focus on the rookie dmen and I liked Carlo & O'Gara. I thought both were calm, handled the puck well and kept up with play. Very solid performances.

I just wish more games would be televised before the next scheduled tv game on 10/8 so I could see how the players are progressing. Or not.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I am worried we will see a Khoko type result with Czarnik in the NHL. He is tiny and easily out muscled every time last night, although he did show skill, speed, and effort.

He's a better skater than Koko is. And more aggressive in his pursuit of the puck.

I know it's only pre-season but I seen more out of Czarnik last night than all of Koko's NHL games combined. Which isn't hard considering Koko was borderline invisible every game he played.

He did have that one back-checked where he beared down and outmuscled the CBJ forward driving to the net to help negate a scoring chance.

He'll probably always struggle defending the Getzlafs and Kopitars of the world, but he looks like he has a more strength than his small frame would indicate. We probably all know a couple guys in real life who despite their height/weight, are incredibly strong, it's just genetics. Hopefully Czarnik is like this.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I think you are exaggerating a bit with this. There will be certain matchups where Czarnik is physically overmatched, but he appears to have some sandpaper, will and a good hockey IQ, which helps.

I take that over a larger, softer player every time. He and Koko appear to be different types of player, to me anyway.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Anyone know/remember Carlo/McQuaid/K Miller/C Millers ability to play the off side?

LOVED what Carlo was doing last night, but the numbers don't add up for me.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I hate rushing kids I like the AHL experience even if it's half a year. That said Carlo, OGara & Heinen would be my early 'keep both eyes on'.

I want to see all 3 on the road preseason games where home teams routinely ice better squads

hollafamer

Jan 24, 2011
March-berg-pasta- this line belongs together pasta is our most skilled rw he will bloom into a 25-30 goal scorer here

Beleksey-DK-spooner- spooner has chemistry with beleksey and Dk will cover spooner's weak spots faceoffs/defense

Debrusk-backes-hayes I like what I saw with debrusk and hayes and I think backes can teach hayes how to use a big body.

?-Cnarik-? No idea who to put together here but i think cnarik deseves a roster spot somewhere.

Chara-colin miller .
Krug-mcquaid
Liles-k.miller

the fact that is our current pairings make me puke can we please trade for trouba

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Anyone know/remember Carlo/McQuaid/K Miller/C Millers ability to play the off side?

LOVED what Carlo was doing last night, but the numbers don't add up for me.

Really doesn't matter because Claude system plays to right shot right side. Liles can do it though well enough IMO

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
March-berg-pasta- this line belongs together pasta is our most skilled rw he will bloom into a 25-30 goal scorer here

Beleksey-DK-spooner- spooner has chemistry with beleksey and Dk will cover spooner's weak spots faceoffs/defense

Debrusk-backes-hayes I like what I saw with debrusk and hayes and I think backes can teach hayes how to use a big body.

?-Cnarik-? No idea who to put together here but i think cnarik deseves a roster spot somewhere.

Chara-colin miller .
Krug-mcquaid
Liles-k.miller

the fact that is our current pairings make me puke can we please trade for trouba
Maybe it's me but I never remember Spooner on right wing and not sure he would do well there

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009

I saw him win his fair share of battles and make some strong defensive plays. Didn't come out of that game (admittedly just 1 pre-season game) with the impression size or strength was much of an issue for him.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
He's a better skater than Koko is. And more aggressive in his pursuit of the puck.

I know it's only pre-season but I seen more out of Czarnik last night than all of Koko's NHL games combined. Which isn't hard considering Koko was borderline invisible every game he played.

He did have that one back-checked where he beared down and outmuscled the CBJ forward driving to the net to help negate a scoring chance.

He'll probably always struggle defending the Getzlafs and Kopitars of the world, but he looks like he has a more strength than his small frame would indicate. We probably all know a couple guys in real life who despite their height/weight, are incredibly strong, it's just genetics. Hopefully Czarnik is like this.

100% agree

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

Chara-colin miller .
Krug-mcquaid
Liles-k.miller

If you puke don't be lying down I know a kid years ago who actually choked to death on his own puke.

To have the coroner list cause of death 'Involuntary choking on vomit due to thinking of Bruins defense' would not be the way to go

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Chara-colin miller the fact that is our current pairings make me puke can we please trade for trouba.
Krug-mcquaid
Liles-k.miller

I like the Bergeron line, but you lost me after that.

63-37-88/Heinen
XX-46-42
39-51-Heinen/88
XX-Moore-Nash

I had Vatrano penciled in on Dk's RW, but that will have to be put on hold. With the XX's being young players preferably, and Backes being able to play C in certain situations.

On D I would expect (hope) to see something like:

Chara-Chiller
Krug-Killer
Liles-McQ/Carlo/ROG

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
While I wouldn't go so far as to say he looked like the best forward, I'm in the minority with you and thought Mueller showed well. He definitely went quiet in the second half, but in the first period I thought he made more skilled plays than anyone not named Czarnik. Certainly looked to my eyes to outperform Cehlarik and Kuraly. Not sure why Cave, Hargrove, Kuraly are getting rave reviews while Mueller gets crapped on. Kuraly in particular, who aside from skating really fast, the only moment that stood out for me was when he was carrying the puck on a 3 on 1 and without even threatening a pass took a weak-ass clapper from the boards.

:dunno:

Going by past pre-seasons, I thought Ville Leino played well enough to earn a contract, but they let him go. Maybe there were other factors at play there (e.g. Simon Gagne), but Leino was a lot better than Mueller last night, from what I remember.

That said, Mueller should get another chance to earn a spot. If I'm the Bruins brass, I'd take a look at him next to Marchy/Bergy, Krejci, and Spooner... see if there's anything there/left. Maybe he plays better with better talent.

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I like the Bergeron line, but you lost me after that.

63-37-88/Heinen
XX-46-42
39-51-Heinen/88
XX-Moore-Nash

I had Vatrano penciled in on Dk's RW, but that will have to be put on hold. With the XX's being young players preferably, and Backes being able to play C in certain situations.

On D I would expect (hope) to see something like:

Chara-Chiller
Krug-Killer
Liles-McQ/Carlo/ROG

Based on last night alone

I would love to see Czarnik at RW in the top 9. With Marchand/Bergeron, he could be really effective and learn a lot from Brad.

Heinen has a higher ceiling but could he benefit more from some time in the AHL?

DeBrusk might be a good fit with Krejci/Backes. Gives him veteran support and muscle.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Based on last night alone

I would love to see Czarnik at RW in the top 9. With Marchand/Bergeron, he could be really effective and learn a lot from Brad.

Heinen has a higher ceiling but could he benefit more from some time in the AHL?

DeBrusk might be a good fit with Krejci/Backes. Gives him veteran support and muscle.

I love Czarnik and he does have the benefit of a year in the AHL already. Based on last night and previous viewings of the two players, I don't think some AHL time would hurt Heinen in any way, but I think it's a necessity for DeBrusk. Heinen is my boy, but even being objective, I think he's a little closer than JD to make the jump.

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I love Czarnik and he does have the benefit of a year in the AHL already. Based on last night and previous viewings of the two players, I don't think some AHL time would hurt Heinen in any way, but I think it's a necessity for DeBrusk. Heinen is my boy, but even being objective, I think he's a little closer than JD to make the jump.

That's absolutely fair. DeBrusk looked good last night, but extremely raw imho. I feel like 10 games at NHL level could completely destroy him physically.

How bout this?

Marchand-Bergeron-Czarnik
Heinen-Krejci-Backes
Beleskey-Spooner-Pastrnak
Cave-Moore-Nash/Acciari

Debrusk on a line with Griffith and someone like Kuraly would probably tear the AHL apart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad