Post-Game Talk: 9/26 PRESEASON 1 - Blue Jackets 3 BRUINS 2 - F/SO

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
12 pages on a pre season game is great to see. Columbus has 2..

I admit I left before the shootout to get home and catch the rest of the debate. Who were the Bruins shooters?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
My thing with Czarnik is that he came into camp this year better than he did last year which was refreshing since we haven see this opinion the last few years. He was the last cut in camp last year and it looks like he took that to heart and is ready to seize the spot left open by Vatrano.

Aside from Frankie, Czarnik's main competition is Colby Cave.

Both deserve long looks.

Cave was very good. He made this one nice play coming out of his own zone where i was like "who the heck was that", until Jack said his name.

Along with Cehlarik seems like Boston has another nice prospect that no one was talking about a couple weeks ago.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Czarnik was good. Looked like a mature 23-24 year old college kid about to play his 2nd year as a pro. Oh wait, I forgot he is. And he's older than Joe Morrow and Seth Griffith. He's just a guy. So is O'Gara. Throw them into the same group with Kempfer, Hunwick, Florek, Bitz etc. New face. That is all. I don't expect much. Certainly not comparable to similar talents 3-4 years younger.

Considering age vs Competition..... DeBrusk, Zboril, and Carlo did well. Didn't expect to see Zboril get leaned on that much defensively. Handled himself well.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
12 pages on a pre season game is great to see. Columbus has 2..

I admit I left before the shootout to get home and catch the rest of the debate. Who were the Bruins shooters?

Nash...hit the post

Debrusk...hit the post

Mueller..failed to score.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Czarnik was good. Looked like a mature 23-24 year old college kid about to play his 2nd year as a pro. Oh wait, I forgot he is. And he's older than Joe Morrow and Seth Griffith. He's just a guy. So is O'Gara. Throw them into the same group with Kempfer, Hunwick, Florek, Bitz etc. New face. That is all. I don't expect much. Certainly not comparable to similar talents 3-4 years younger.

Considering age vs Competition..... DeBrusk, Zboril, and Carlo did well. Didn't expect to see Zboril get leaned on that much defensively. Handled himself well.

Czarnik may be older than Griffith, but he can skate circles around Seth, which is what gives him a chance of being an NHL player. No one thinks he is going to be the next Matin St Louis, but maybe he has a Cam Atkinson career

O'Gara really isn't old for a defensive prospect especially if he develops quickly. He could be Tommy Cross, or he could have a 10 year NHL career

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Zboril- was expecting Gudas or Robo cop and he leaned on the finesse side of the scale. Obvious skills but young and green and if he can stay on the narrow has top pairing skills but he's another camp from a more serious look

Agreed. I think once he gets use to the speed of the pro game and some more coaching, he's got the tools to be a top 4 guy who can move the puck and isn't afraid to play a rough game on defense... a more physical Dmitri Kulikov.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Czarnik may be older than Griffith, but he can skate circles around Seth, which is what gives him a chance of being an NHL player. No one thinks he is going to be the next Matin St Louis, but maybe he has a Cam Atkinson career

O'Gara really isn't old for a defensive prospect especially if he develops quickly. He could be Tommy Cross, or he could have a 10 year NHL career

If all O'Gara ends up being is a solid 3rd pairing guy that plays 300-400 games for the Bruins, I don't see anything wrong with that. For a 5th round pick that's pretty good.

Not saying he's the next Tyler Johnson or anything like that, but every player's development curve is different, Czarnik is tracking along the same curve as Johnson did. Small kid, undrafted, late bloomer, doesn't mean he won't be a good NHL player.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
DeBrusk with a beauty assist but had one of the worst turnovers (in OT) that I have ever seen --leading to a CBJ 2-0.

Carlo was Carlo --absolutely fantastic in his gap control, stick work and pivots. Just really, really solid with good mobility. He is 100% going to be an NHL player. At this stage in a redraft, he goes before any of the 3 first rounders.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Nice to see games where we get a chance to see what some of our prospects can do, really impressed with Czarnik, Cehlarik and DeBrusk up front, on D, Carlo impressed the most, but O'Gara and Zboril looked good also. As for who is most NHL ready on our D right now I would say O'Gara and Arnesson have shots to be third pairing type guys, at this point I would keep them up over Liles and use Liles as trade material. Also if Morrow does not step up this year he could see his spot filled by someone like O'Gara or Arnesson

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
With Vatrano out and McQuaid and Krug traded my early predictions after watching team play in Buffalo and game last night:

D
Carlo, O Gara
Zboril needs some seasoning

Forwards
Cehlarik, Czarnik, Cave
Close but need some seasoning Debrusk Heinen Kuraly

Hope we say goodbye to

Hayes Griffith Nash Randell

Really liked what I saw from Liles Morrow and Miller. Looking very good. The entire D looked fantastic.

Last edited:

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
DeBrusk with a beauty assist but had one of the worst turnovers (in OT) that I have ever seen --leading to a CBJ 2-0.

Carlo was Carlo --absolutely fantastic in his gap control, stick work and pivots. Just really, really solid with good mobility. He is 100% going to be an NHL player. At this stage in a redraft, he goes before any of the 3 first rounders.

I still think Senyshyn 'may' go before him. Carlo's a RH shot so not exactly what Winnipeg really looking for but if I'm them I have to have him for Teouba.

Carlo is going to be a top 4 no doubt - likely a second pair monster

The duo McAvoy & Carlo on the right side soon warms the heart

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Coach Bruce Cassidy on Carlo after the game: “Arguably our best defenseman.’’ The rookie hopeful finished with the primary assist on Heinen’s goal and logged three shots on net in 20:16 in ice time .

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
With Vatrano out and McQuaid and Krug traded my early predictions after watching team play in Buffalo and game last night:

D
Carlo, O Gara

Forwards
Cehlarik, Czarnik, Cave

Hope we say goodbye to

Really liked what I saw from Liles Morrow and Miller. Looking very good. The entire D looked fantastic.
What did they get for Krug?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK

D
Carlo, O Gara

Forwards
Cehlarik, Czarnik, Cave

Hope we say goodbye to

Krug isn't going anywhere.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Just for clarification, Czarnik is about 3 weeks older than Griffith and Morrow. O'Gara is 5-6 months younger than all of them.

He has exactly one year of PRO experience under his belt....Griffith has three years, Morrow four, and ROG zero.

In his first year in the AHL, Czarnik had 61 pts in 68 games...Griffith had 50 in 69.

Once prospects are at the stage of development that Griffith or Morrow are, they should be better than both the NCAA types that are 1 year out of school (or just coming out), despite being the same age. They have been playing vs Pro competition for the last 3-4 years.

The bad news is that Griffith did not look better than Czarnik, and Morrow did not look better than O'Gara. I'm not sure why you would be holding that against the latter, and I'm not sure why you are so ready to throw Czarnik and O'Gara onto the trash heap at such an early stage in their pro development?

Your point about the younger guys (Zboril, Carlo, DeBrusk) is more accurate, but doesn't really matter in the overall discussion unless someone was saying that Czarnik and ROG were going to be better than those guys over the course of their career (which I didn't see anyone doing). It also doesn't matter if we are talking about guys who might be ready to step up and help the team NOW.

It was only one preseason game, but I thought O'Gara looked pretty polished and was the best of the D-men. He was calm, positioned himself well, and moved the puck. Carlo was very good as well. Had a couple of hiccups, but was more physical than the other D (incl ROG). Zboril was good as well. A couple of TO's, but he looked good, which is what I expected after seeing him at DC this summer. The issue with him is that he's not old enough for the AHL and I'm not sure he's ready for a spot on the big club, with the B's burning off a year of his ELC, and him getting limited minutes. I would not be surprised if O'Gara made the team out of camp and contributed this year. I'm not talking Parayko type stuff, but he could help solidify that D (as could Carlo).

Czarnik's problem is just numbers. He has Bergy, DK, Spooner, Moore, Acciari ahead of him on the depth chart and probably won't see a lot of NHL time this year unless someone is traded or injured. He's not big (obvious), but he's much better defensively than a guy like Griffith and that will help him when it comes to Clode. I'm not advocating the B's deal Spooner, but if he did go in a package for a D-man, I could see Czarnik being the "next man up" and doing OK.

rudos1

Oct 22, 2009
I saw nothing great and nothing awful. No real standouts on either team really. I thought Khudobin looked good and should be an ok backup for Rask. If we don't get some vet help for top line D I'm still thinking this will not be a playoff year but of course it's only the first preseason game so l'm trying to be positive.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Colt, he blew a tire on that TO, and lost the puck. If it had been a mental error instead of simply losing an edge, I would be far more concerned. DeBrusk came as advertised, took the puck hard to the net, strong IQ, and very good hands in close. He looked good, but like he needs 30-40 games in the AHL (at least) before he will be ready. I don't think he's that far off though.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Looks like Liles, Czarnik and Heinen led the Bruins in TOI, in all situation. Morrow and Carlo round out the 20 minute club, with Morrow getting good minutes on special teams as well. Looks like Hargrove was stapled to the bench.

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/cbj-...2016010004,game_state=final,game_tab=boxscore

I was really impressed with Morrow's play in his own zone. He seems to have found some confidence. The 3rd period is the best I've seen him play in a long time. I hope he can put it all together this season.

I want to see Liles-Carlo play against a more seasoned D so I can see how Carlo does. I really like him but I want to see how he does against tougher opponents.

I still think Nash was put in a bad situation with his linemates. He needs to be on a line with Dom Moore and I think we will see him play better.

I said it to DKH last night but it is great to see the competition in Camp this year.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I saw nothing great and nothing awful. No real standouts on either team really. I thought Khudobin looked good and should be an ok backup for Rask. If we don't get some vet help for top line D I'm still thinking this will not be a playoff year but of course it's only the first preseason game so l'm trying to be positive.

This is you being positive? You must be a blast at parties ;):laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad