Post-Game Talk: 9/26 PRESEASON 1 - Blue Jackets 3 BRUINS 2 - F/SO

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Foolishly basing October 12 lineup on tonight's showing, here's what I would be interested to see:

Marchand-Bergeron-Czarnik
DeBrusk-Krejci-Backes
Beleskey-Spooner-Pastrnak
Moore-Nash-Acciari

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Carlo and Zboril - Both came as advertised, the natural talent is clearly evident on both. Different type of players. Zboril looks like he can be a high-end puck-mover in time, maybe a poor-man's Kronwall. Now the bad if you want to call it that...both made the kind of mistakes in their own end in terms of coverage that well you'd expect 19-year olds to make. Zboril made more than Carlo, but even a couple months at the AHL level will help Carlo adjust to the speed of the pro game and work on coachable things like defensive coverage. I know many here are high on the kid but I didn't see anything tonight that screams to me he needs to be rushed to the NHL and start this season in Boston. There's simply no need. But Top 4 D upside is there for both, neither did anything tonight to think otherwise.

O'Gara - the best of the young D from start to finish. Made the least amount of mistakes in his own end coverage wise. Made smart simple plays all night long. He's has the lowest upside of the 3 young D, but he's also the closest to playing in the NHL. He's 23 and it was clear he was the most polished defensively of the 3, as he should be. Claude would of loved his game tonight. I said before he's the most likely of the young D to push Morrow or C.Miller for a spot on this team right now. The fact he looked comfortable playing his off-side can only help his chances. But is he redundant on this team with Kevan and McQuaid still here? Probably starts in Providence.

Debrusk - For the first time I can say I'm happy with this pick. Kid showed poise, defensive acumen, guts, etc. Blown tire in OT aside, you could see he's a smart player, sound positionally and always processing the play. His burst of speed when he drove down his off-wing were actually surprising. If anything safe to say sending him back to the WHL for his overage season makes no sense. He might not break camp in Boston, but he's ready to compete against men in the AHL.

Heinen - I thought got better as the game went on. Was forcing things early. Pace looked to be a bit of an issue early on. That being said, tip-in goal aside, I don't see a guy ready for a Top 9 spot right this minute. Yes it's one game but he looks like he needs a bit of AHL time to get adjusted to the pace of the pro game.

Peter Mueller - Wasn't terrible, wasn't great. Didn't see anything to warrant offering him a contract based on one game.

Czarnik - Was impressed with his speed, and loved his backcheck on the PP when caught the CBJ player and muscled him away from a good scoring chance. You have never seen Spooner make that defensive play, and I don't see the Spooner comparisons to be honest, Czarnik already looks like a more accomplished defensive player, just better awareness defensively, probably stronger too despite his height and weight. Now I don't see where he plays at C on the Bruins right now, but perhaps he can push for a spot on RW. Was pleased with his game tonight, hounds the puck.

Kuraly, Hargrove, and Cave - All had good solid showings tonight. I wouldn't write any of them off long term. Hargrove was probably the biggest surprise for me, I thought he was solid and physical.

Jimmy Hayes - Looks like he's improved his skating, even just a hair. Any little bit helps. But Hayes looked like an All-star up until the 2nd week of November last year, and had one good game the rest of the way, so I've been fooled by Hayes before. He was pretty decent tonight overall.

Riley Nash - Played like a guy with a spot already locked up, and not in a good way. Was slow, ineffective. He's not an NHL center, yes he can take a draw on his strong-side from time to time, but he'll end up playing more wing than C this season. He keeps playing like he did tonight and he'll be the 13th F. Not impressed.

Griffith - Lived up to his tweener label. Good with the puck on his stick, useless without it. He's getting passed by other guys, his time is running out.

Cehlarik - Looked pretty good. Patient, cerebral player. Like Heinen probably needs some AHL time but he has potential.

Randell - Doesn't look like his skating has improved at all. Wasn't impressed tonight, didn't accomplish much of anything.

Morrow - Was just OK, expected him to be more assertive given the level of talent on the ice he was competing against. That being said he didn't make a lot of mistakes. Still on pace to be the 7th D.

Liles - Made some uncharacteristic errors with the puck. He'll need to be better even on the 3rd pair.

Kevan - Looked leaner, played as expected. Nothing to complain about here.

Khudobin - Decent, nothing remarkable.

McIntyre - Looked a bit shaky/unorthodox at first, but at the end of the day didn't allow a goal until the filthy deke by Gagner in the shoot-out.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Like an idiot I trusted the guide on my TV and set the recording to the NHL Network instead of NESN.

Anyone know if NESN does a rebroadcast online or if any other network that might have covered it has a stream of the game?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Foolishly basing October 12 lineup on tonight's showing, here's what I would be interested to see:

Marchand-Bergeron-Czarnik
DeBrusk-Krejci-Backes
Beleskey-Spooner-Pastrnak
Moore-Nash-Acciari

I don't want Riley Nash anywhere near C based on tonight's game. Not an NHL center IMO, just a winger who can take a draw from time to time.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Like an idiot I trusted the guide on my TV and set the recording to the NHL Network instead of NESN.

Anyone know if NESN does a rebroadcast online or if any other network that might have covered it has a stream of the game?

I have Time Warner out here in Maine and the 12-2AM block that normally would be a Bruins at 12 rewind during the regular season is instead Paid Programming. I went ahead for the next day and I didn't see a rebroadcast listed for Tuesday.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Those who made an impression on me:

Defense:

Zboril. Good puck control and ability to control the play.

Offense:

Czarnik. Like everyone else, it was easy to appreciate his speed and willingness to go into trouble areas. If he didn't make the club on this effort, he should have established some confidence for the future.

DeBrusk: Ditto

Some I thought would make a better impression:

O'Gara: Didn't stand out. Expected more physically from him.

Celharik: From his recent stints in the Buffalo Tournament, I expected more.

Mueller: Was hardly noticed given expectations from his early reputation.

Last edited:

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Have to wonder if Vatrano going down opens the door for Debrusk or Czarnik to make the team

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I have Time Warner out here in Maine and the 12-2AM block that normally would be a Bruins at 12 rewind during the regular season is instead Paid Programming. I went ahead for the next day and I didn't see a rebroadcast listed for Tuesday.

Thanks, I'm not seeing it either. Sigh.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Sat by the glass behind net so was able to get a feel for how the players reacted to the pace of the game

Heinen- played most of the first half at a conscious level which is not good. He made what I believed to be uncharacteristic passes and was running around a bit more so early on. As the game proceeded a long better overall play did as well for Heinen. I expect after 4 or so games we start seeing a guy pushing for a spot.

DeBrusk- pretty fearless and hands are plus; pace was a bit fast for him at times but a stint in the AHL should work wonders as he gets acclimated. The AHL could be a great place for his development- he shows positives in a lot of areas. He gets stronger and more experienced he will push hard for a spot

Carlo- I personally would like to see him go to the AHL but he's got hypnotic size and good skills. He sure looks like a second pair RH defenseman on a good playoff team for a decade. With McAvoy & Carlo on the right side top two pairings Boston looks real strong

He could be in time a nice guy to pair with Krug as Carlo has good speed and a wide defensive radius

OGara - good skater strong positionally should play this year. He seemed fine with the pace but can't go wrong with some AHL time. He was very good at getting to lose pucks in net front scrums. OGara should see time in Boston at some point - also quick at moving the puck and accurately

Zboril- was expecting Gudas or Robo cop and he leaned on the finesse side of the scale. Obvious skills but young and green and if he can stay on the narrow has top pairing skills but he's another camp from a more serious look

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Carlo and Zboril - Both came as advertised, the natural talent is clearly evident on both. Different type of players. Zboril looks like he can be a high-end puck-mover in time, maybe a poor-man's Kronwall. Now the bad if you want to call it that...both made the kind of mistakes in their own end in terms of coverage that well you'd expect 19-year olds to make. Zboril made more than Carlo, but even a couple months at the AHL level will help Carlo adjust to the speed of the pro game and work on coachable things like defensive coverage. I know many here are high on the kid but I didn't see anything tonight that screams to me he needs to be rushed to the NHL and start this season in Boston. There's simply no need. But Top 4 D upside is there for both, neither did anything tonight to think otherwise.

O'Gara - the best of the young D from start to finish. Made the least amount of mistakes in his own end coverage wise. Made smart simple plays all night long. He's has the lowest upside of the 3 young D, but he's also the closest to playing in the NHL. He's 23 and it was clear he was the most polished defensively of the 3, as he should be. Claude would of loved his game tonight. I said before he's the most likely of the young D to push Morrow or C.Miller for a spot on this team right now. The fact he looked comfortable playing his off-side can only help his chances. But is he redundant on this team with Kevan and McQuaid still here? Probably starts in Providence.

Debrusk - For the first time I can say I'm happy with this pick. Kid showed poise, defensive acumen, guts, etc. Blown tire in OT aside, you could see he's a smart player, sound positionally and always processing the play. His burst of speed when he drove down his off-wing were actually surprising. If anything safe to say sending him back to the WHL for his overage season makes no sense. He might not break camp in Boston, but he's ready to compete against men in the AHL.

Heinen - I thought got better as the game went on. Was forcing things early. Pace looked to be a bit of an issue early on. That being said, tip-in goal aside, I don't see a guy ready for a Top 9 spot right this minute. Yes it's one game but he looks like he needs a bit of AHL time to get adjusted to the pace of the pro game.

Peter Mueller - Wasn't terrible, wasn't great. Didn't see anything to warrant offering him a contract based on one game.

Czarnik - Was impressed with his speed, and loved his backcheck on the PP when caught the CBJ player and muscled him away from a good scoring chance. You have never seen Spooner make that defensive play, and I don't see the Spooner comparisons to be honest, Czarnik already looks like a more accomplished defensive player, just better awareness defensively, probably stronger too despite his height and weight. Now I don't see where he plays at C on the Bruins right now, but perhaps he can push for a spot on RW. Was pleased with his game tonight, hounds the puck.

Kuraly, Hargrove, and Cave - All had good solid showings tonight. I wouldn't write any of them off long term. Hargrove was probably the biggest surprise for me, I thought he was solid and physical.

Jimmy Hayes - Looks like he's improved his skating, even just a hair. Any little bit helps. But Hayes looked like an All-star up until the 2nd week of November last year, and had one good game the rest of the way, so I've been fooled by Hayes before. He was pretty decent tonight overall.

Riley Nash - Played like a guy with a spot already locked up, and not in a good way. Was slow, ineffective. He's not an NHL center, yes he can take a draw on his strong-side from time to time, but he'll end up playing more wing than C this season. He keeps playing like he did tonight and he'll be the 13th F. Not impressed.

Griffith - Lived up to his tweener label. Good with the puck on his stick, useless without it. He's getting passed by other guys, his time is running out.

Cehlarik - Looked pretty good. Patient, cerebral player. Like Heinen probably needs some AHL time but he has potential.

Randell - Doesn't look like his skating has improved at all. Wasn't impressed tonight, didn't accomplish much of anything.

Morrow - Was just OK, expected him to be more assertive given the level of talent on the ice he was competing against. That being said he didn't make a lot of mistakes. Still on pace to be the 7th D.

Liles - Made some uncharacteristic errors with the puck. He'll need to be better even on the 3rd pair.

Kevan - Looked leaner, played as expected. Nothing to complain about here.

Khudobin - Decent, nothing remarkable.

McIntyre - Looked a bit shaky/unorthodox at first, but at the end of the day didn't allow a goal until the filthy deke by Gagner in the shoot-out.
I agree with most of this.

Carlo was shakey in the first period so Liles did a lot of covering for him. Liles has incredible speed skating backwards to get back into position. It surprised me a lot.

I think Nash was playing with the wrong guys. That line just looked odd to me.

Agree that O'Gara was the best D tonight overall. I loved his physical game.

Joe Morrow played very well in the 3rd. It's between his ears at this point.

Colby Cave played a lot bigger than he is. Impressed and rooting for him to get a long look.

Czarnik looks better this year than he did last year. I think he makes the team.

Kuraly was my surprise of the night. The speed and fearlessness of his game was a treat to watch. He was doing the little things at both ends of the ice tonight.

Griffith was underwhelming along with Mueller.

I thought Hayes and DeBrusk developed some chemistry as the game went on. Jimmy is definitely more confident so far and his skating has improved.

I'm glad others have noticed that Miller has leaned out. It makes him faster IMO.

I'm looking forward to Wednesday night to see who gets another look

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I got to see an Avalanche/Wild game from ice level last year and at the time the Bruins were rumored to be after Jonas Brodin so I keyed on him all night and what I saw from O'Gara tonight reminded me so much of Brodin. Good size & positioning and great first pass but won't wow you with skating or skill.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I agree with most of this.

Carlo was shakey in the first period so Liles did a lot of covering for him. Liles has incredible speed skating backwards to get back into position. It surprised me a lot.

I think Nash was playing with the wrong guys. That line just looked odd to me.

Agree that O'Gara was the best D tonight overall. I loved his physical game.

Joe Morrow played very well in the 3rd. It's between his ears at this point.

Colby Cave played a lot bigger than he is. Impressed and rooting for him to get a long look.

Czarnik looks better this year than he did last year. I think he makes the team.

Kuraly was my surprise of the night. The speed and fearlessness of his game was a treat to watch. He was doing the little things at both ends of the ice tonight.

Griffith was underwhelming along with Mueller.

I thought Hayes and DeBrusk developed some chemistry as the game went on. Jimmy is definitely more confident so far and his skating has improved.

I'm glad others have noticed that Miller has leaned out. It makes him faster IMO.

I'm looking forward to Wednesday night to see who gets another look

Not saying he's going to the be the guy for this spot, but especially with Vatrano out (he was my guy for the Bergy line) I hope they give Czarnik a look on the RW of the Bergeron-Marchand line for a game during pre-season.

If I had to choose one young F to make the team and play in the top 9 based off one pre-season game (which isn't much to base it on I admit), it would be Czarnik.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
The highlights:

1) I thought Mueller showed some flashes of the player he was drafted to be. Thought he tailed off towards the end of the game, but if his conditioning is good enough and his injuries are behind him he could be a really good pick up.

2) Carlo is awfully smooth for a big man, he made one move carrying the puck through the neutral zone that I wasn't expecting him to be able to pull off. Very impressed.

3) I officially have a man crush on Czarnik. I thought he was the best player on the ice, nothing to not like about his game. If he can adapt to the wing, I could very much see him making this roster.

The lowlights:

1) Would have liked to see Randell or Killer push back a bit, BJ's were taking some liberties and there was some opportunities to stand up for your crew that weren't taken.

2) Riley Nash - was looking forward to seeing him play, but he looked pretty ineffective out there. Early but it was a disappointing performance

3) If there were ever a chance for Seth Griffith to step up its now, and I thought he was absolutely abysmal tonight. Careless with the puck, clueless in the D-zone and just all around a poor showing.

The "meh"lights:

1) Was hoping to see a few more flashes from Heinen, did some good things but didn't wow at all.

2) Was nice to see Jimmy Hayes pot one. Thought he did pretty well tonight but then again as pretty much the lone Vet up front, he should have.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Not saying he's going to the be the guy for this spot, but especially with Vatrano out (he was my guy for the Bergy line) I hope they give Czarnik a look on the RW of the Bergeron-Marchand line for a game during pre-season.

If I had to choose one young F to make the team and play in the top 9 based off one pre-season game (which isn't much to base it on I admit), it would be Czarnik.

My thing with Czarnik is that he came into camp this year better than he did last year which was refreshing since we haven see this opinion the last few years. He was the last cut in camp last year and it looks like he took that to heart and is ready to seize the spot left open by Vatrano.

Aside from Frankie, Czarnik's main competition is Colby Cave.

Both deserve long looks.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Kuraly can burn man ... not sure he can do anything else very well, but man can the kid skate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad