PGT: 9/25 Europe vs Sweden - Europe stuns Sweden in OT and advances to final

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
World Cup of fiasco. Kicked in. I could get a ticket for 5 dollars. Sleepy tourny. But wtf allowing that goal. !!!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Karlsson has been on the ice for exactly ONE goal against in 10 international games, and it was in 3 on 3 OT.

But ya lets put him on he bench because he can't be trusted to defend a 1 goal lead against Team Rest of Europe.

Don't bother. Too many folks have swallowed the media koolaid about Karlsson. No matter how good he is, someone will bring up the 'bad defense' from 5 years ago to justify hating him.

Personally, I liked all of Sweden's defense. Erik was the best of the bunch, but I'd gladly take any of those kids on my team.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Deflection*

Good goal.
[MOD] His foot went away from the goalie. Who kicks behind them, lol.

He MAY have directed the puck by angling his foot or he may have just been moving his foot away from the post.

Either way his skate wasn't moving towards the net. Good goal.

Remember, redirections are fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Amazing that all the players from half a dozen different countries could come together like this. Congratulations .

I am especially happy for Marian Hossa.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
It wasn't a kick. Checking the overhead slow motion shot, he doesn't change the foot until after he hit the puck with it.

this. People need to learn the NHL rules on this. They changed it prior to last season or something. Unless you kick the puck like you kick a soccer ball its gonna be a good goal. They changed it so it would be much easier for the refs to be consistent and make the same call every time. Pretty much every goal scored with the skate in the NHL last season was ruled a good goal. You need to obviously kick it with the skate for it to be overruled.

EP40 AKA Lil Wayne

May 9, 2013
Will all the Swedish, Russian, Finland, and Czech fans now cheer for their continent? A shame that we will not see a Swedish-Canada final.

No, I did not really like the tournament to begin with and has only watched highlight reels due to not having the channels. Normally I would cheer for any team playing Canada but this time the game does not feel important.

If team europe would win, it means nothing because its an all star team, so canada has not been beaten by another country. If team canada wins, it means nothing cause its not a true all star team of europeans, so it does not prove anything. So... I cheer for Kopitar to have a good game :laugh:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Somebody said it right. (paraphrasing)

This is the Cinderella story that nobody cares about.

May 22, 2016
Finland
this. People need to learn the NHL rules on this. They changed it prior to last season or something. Unless you kick the puck like you kick a soccer ball its gonna be a good goal. They changed it so it would be much easier for the refs to be consistent and make the same call every time. Pretty much every goal scored with the skate in the NHL last season was ruled a good goal. You need to obviously kick it with the skate for it to be overruled.
This is the same in the IIHF. People should know this.

BonAppleTea

May 16, 2013
Amazing that all the players from half a dozen different countries could come together like this. Congratulations .

I am especially happy for Marian Hossa.

Doubt and hate from everywhere surely helped them get together. Way more satisfying to win if everyone calls you worthless

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I like Karlsson and Lundquist. And I don't think I've said a negative thing about Karlsson in this thread.

Hank had a brutal game. Forget that he "led them" here, when they were in the game he completely **** the bed. Three gimme stops and he couldn't make them. That's not being overly critical - that's watching a game and calling it fair.

niljano

May 11, 2011
What a historic finals this will be between Canada and Europe, so much history between these two countries :sarcasm:.

World cup are a joke.
Next world cup i hope they start a slashing/fighting team, put them in canadas group.
After that they maybe stop this faketournament.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Does not feel real. We lost to a team that should not exist. In a normal World-Cup with no made up teams, we would had reach final.

And this team eu is very boring to watch, the finals will be a sleeping pill.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Sweden showed zero passion, which was the reason I went to bed in the second intermission.

I am a hockey fanatic, but this tournament never peaked my interest - and looking at the lacadasical play from Sweden in 3 out of 4 games, they probably felt the same.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I hate to say it, but this tourny peaked in the pre-tourny games. Man that was some great hockey.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Hedman looked really bad against Team NA - some of that was probably back to back and a result of Komarov's low bridge the game before. Looked good against Russia and Finland though.

And I wasn't saying he looked fantastic today. Could have played those goals better - but certainly not to blame for them. Hank is supposed to be one of the best goaltenders in the world and all three goals were the type that you would yell at your back-up for letting in.
Well Hedman is supposed to be one of the best defenders in the world (I think you could argue he might be the best tbh). Do you think Sweden's defense played well this tournament? I don't.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Somebody said it right. (paraphrasing)

This is the Cinderella story that nobody cares about.
Very true. Nobody cares.
Well Hedman is supposed to be one of the best defenders in the world.
That was before Komarov gave him a cheap shot and a charley horse, playing half injured through the rest of the games. Before the cheap shot, he was excellent.

This tournament reached the fiasco it deserved though. I was against the Mickey Mouse format from the get go. It's kind of hilarious the finals will be best out of three were nobody cares about the result. :laugh:

bDtKarlsson

Feb 21, 2014
Lundqvist is better when he faces constant pressure. Europe mostly generated slump chances and breakaways, doesn't suit him unfortunently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad