PGT: 9/25 Europe vs Sweden - Europe stuns Sweden in OT and advances to final

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
The only "bad" play they made this game, though, was the one save that Hank (kinda) made when they got beat on the breakaway.

The goals? **** they were on the ice for them, but Hank can't seem to make a routine save and somehow they get **** for it.

thats not true at all. They have struggled defensivly almost every game. Bad tournament from both of them. OEL aswell has looked pretty poor...

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
Powers that be won't like this match-up one bit. Don't know what ESPN would have paid to cover this event, but betcha' they'd like their money back. US audience will consist of maybe a couple of Kopitar fans from LA. Gonna be one damn boring final.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
What a historic finals this will be between Canada and Europe, so much history between these two countries :sarcasm:.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If Karlsson had left his man open like Hedman did there we wouldn't stop hearing about it until Christmas.

This coach was absolutely horrid. Even the refs making all calls that favoured Sweden couldn't win them the game.

That happens with offensive Dmen. They get way too much blame when missing a guy in coverage yet it's ignored when non offensive Dmen do the same thing.

Did I hear right that Halak is 9-0 against Lundquist in the last 9 games?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I doubt canada is gonna really care in the final anyways, they are going against a gimmick team, they know they are 10x more talented, It's not even going to be remotely close.

Uno Bench

Swedish citizen
Mar 7, 2012
Now to make it a REAL Team Europe, they should bring on Ovechkin, Malkin, Bäckström, Hedman, Karlsson, Barkov etc. on the rooster for the games against Canada, should make for some fun hockey

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Who's to say that Markstrom wouldn't have saved their butts also? He probably would have also saved the routine shots that Lundqvist missed.

That's really the logic you use?

What's with the goalie blaming? No credit to team Europe for playing a good game?

Btw, that was 100% a kick. I can't believe they let that stand.

Kritaren

Sep 17, 2016
Will all the Swedish, Russian, Finland, and Czech fans now cheer for their continent? A shame that we will not see a Swedish-Canada final.

I don't think they will cheer for anyone. Wont probably even watch this joke of a final.

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
Doesnt matter if the skates are moving, you can redirect the puck with the skates even while moving.

There has to be a distinct kicking motion. You can score with the skate while moving forward as long as your motion is not a kicking one. Tatar had a forward momentum and was turning his body from front-skating to back-skating, the puck deflected of his skate as he was mid-way of this motion.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Embarrassing Tournament by the Swedes, Russia and especially the USA.

Doesn't appear that Canada will be in danger of being overtaken anytime soon.

Sensin5

Jan 27, 2013
Karlsson has been on the ice for exactly ONE goal against in 10 international games, and it was in 3 on 3 OT.

But ya lets put him on he bench because he can't be trusted to defend a 1 goal lead against Team Rest of Europe.

So much this, but this is not the place for facts.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
On one hand, good for Europe. A couple upsets along the way are always kind of fun. On the other, this is probably the worst possible outcome for the tourney. Canada will absolutely devastate Europe in every aspect of the game. It's going to be the most lacklustre final ever.

Furthermore, as impressive as Europe's feat is, it's entirely circumstantial. Team NA dominated them in two pre-tournament games, and were clearly the better team, and yet they got sent home because of some bad bounces and tie breakers. I'm not a huge fan of the gimmicks either way, but as a hockey fan, Canada-NA would have been a FAR more exciting final.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
thats not true at all. They have struggled defensivly almost every game. Bad tournament from both of them. OEL aswell has looked pretty poor...

Hedman looked really bad against Team NA - some of that was probably back to back and a result of Komarov's low bridge the game before. Looked good against Russia and Finland though.

And I wasn't saying he looked fantastic today. Could have played those goals better - but certainly not to blame for them. Hank is supposed to be one of the best goaltenders in the world and all three goals were the type that you would yell at your back-up for letting in.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
North America vs Canada tho would have been some amazing hockey, what could have been :(

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
What does the NHL rule book say about kicks? To me its clearly looks like a kick. The skate have forward momentum towards the goal and directs the puck into the goal.

Distinct kicking motion.

He had momentum towards the goal because that's the direction he was skating. Good goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad