Prospect Info: 47OA: Brady Cleveland

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Moore, Perreault, Eiserman, and Augustine are all participating and actually played today.

At least try to look into this stuff before you comment on it…

USA is icing 2 teams, as they always do.

Leonard is participating as well, he’s on Team Blue.

I'm pretty sure he was referring to the NTDP playoff games which doesn't include those players, not the Summer Showcase. I didn't comment because I have no idea how NTDP playoffs work.

Hope. By all means. Just try not to convince yourself that it's some megabrain pick because of said hope. Brady is a defenseman at the major junior level of hockey with the offensive output of a goalie. It is what it is. Am I rooting against him? Absolutely not. It's just stupidly rare for players to move up in tiers of hockey and also improve on their overall roles. And he would have to improve his role to even become an every day 3rd pairing defenseman. Guys that end up on the 3rd pairings in the NHL typically are at least 2nd pairing or higher guys in the minors or juniors.
Agree, it's the same as Cholo or Zadina. Nobody is hoping that a prospect is going to fail. It's an assessment of the prospect, and also the scouts.

I'd love to see this kid turn into the next Chara, but I'm pretty sure I have a better chance of winning Mega Millions tonight.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm pretty sure he was referring to the NTDP playoff games which doesn't include those players, not the Summer Showcase. I didn't comment because I have no idea how NTDP playoffs work.

Agree, it's the same as Cholo or Zadina. Nobody is hoping that a prospect is going to fail. It's an assessment of the prospect, and also the scouts.

I'd love to see this kid turn into the next Chara, but I'm pretty sure I have a better chance of winning Mega Millions tonight.
Missed the full conversation because they’re on my ignore list. I’ll let them carry on.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Missed the full conversation because they’re on my ignore list. I’ll let them carry on.
I figured there was a misunderstanding there, no big deal. Was just letting you know the context.

This whole thread is about people who see no hockey skills vs people who have blind faith in the Wings scouts. It's summer. We're all just waiting for Shitty Kitty to fill the litter box with pucks.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Hope. By all means. Just try not to convince yourself that it's some megabrain pick because of said hope. Brady is a defenseman at the major junior level of hockey with the offensive output of a goalie. It is what it is. Am I rooting against him? Absolutely not. It's just stupidly rare for players to move up in tiers of hockey and also improve on their overall roles. And he would have to improve his role to even become an every day 3rd pairing defenseman. Guys that end up on the 3rd pairings in the NHL typically are at least 2nd pairing or higher guys in the minors or juniors.
No one is doing that.

Me bringing up Cernak isn't me saying "look guys this guy is just another Erik Cernak" - it's to point out that there's a possibility for a player that doesn't put up very many points to have a big role on a team.
It's not to say he's the next Erik Cernak or that he could produce the 10-20 points Cernak can. (also my brain jumped to Cernak because I thought Yzerman drafted him and quickly realized he hadn't)

I think it's a shit pick but I won't be on here every day telling everyone else why it's shitty or try to convince anyone to go to Draper's house and slap him around. I'm going to hope there's something there and expect nothing.

I've been happy with plenty of draft picks that turned out to be really shitty players.

Last edited:
Reactions: RabidBadger

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
Tough guys who can play are a hard commodity to come by also. Wait until he comes in and kicks the crap out of Tom Wilson. Then everyone will live him

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Speak for yourself. I was on that train hype from day one.
The question was "when was the last time this board hated a pick this much?", and that pick was hated a whole lot.

I hadn't even looked him up predraft, but was accepting the pick quickly. It's not like with Kasper, who I wanted for the entire season.

As for Cleveland, I can't really be bothered to be disappointed. He's big and as a lot of big guys go, he might be a late developer. Maybe he turns into Ericsson 2.0, not even decent on the first pairing like he was used, but great on third.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
This whole thread is about people who see no hockey skills vs people who have blind faith in the Wings scouts. It's summer. We're all just waiting for Shitty Kitty to fill the litter box with pucks.
That's an interesting take. I haven't really seen anyone saying they love the pick and anyone who doesn't is an alarmist idiot. For me the whole thread is people flaming the pick vs people saying "let's see what happens". If you have evidence of this blind faith, by all means prove me wrong.

Personally I'm not a fan of the pick. I am intrigued to know what scouting saw in him and to see how Hastings can develop him in Madison. Chances are he won't amount to anything...like most draft picks chosen in that range.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I was once no fan of the Carter Mazur pick. Stupid reach too high!

Now I'm a Carter Mazur fan.

No one would be full of madness in here, if Dower-Nilsson is picked at 2nd round and Cleveland at 3rd. I just wonder where do you guys find that energy to beat that same dead horse day after day.

Reactions: saska sault

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The problem is, if a guy is playing against other teens, and doesn't have the vision, creativity, skating or handle to do somehting other than "move it to someone else" then he's going to be in big trouble against a higher level of competition when he has to problem solve. Without escapability skills he's just a turnover waiting to happen.
Sure, to some extent. A 6'5 monster whose job is to play a simple defensive job needs a lot less creativity and vision than a 5'10 PMD whose job is to facilitate offense though. Sometimes it's enough for a guy to be the Marc Methot to an Erik Karlsson.

This whole thread is about people who see no hockey skills vs people who have blind faith in the Wings scouts.
People constantly bringing up scoring numbers to judge a just-drafted defensive-defenseman don't exactly indicate expert analysis based on on-ice play.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
People constantly bringing up scoring numbers to judge a just-drafted defensive-defenseman don't exactly indicate expert analysis based on on-ice play.
Most of the people supporting this pick also thought Cholo was going to be an NHLer, some even first pair D, so I don't think it's worth an argument, lol. I watched the shift by shift video. I was not impressed.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Most of the people supporting this pick also thought Cholo was going to be an NHLer, some even first pair D, so I don't think it's worth an argument, lol. I watched the shift by shift video. I was not impressed.
Most of the people hating on this pick also have been wrong on something at some point in their life. Except you of course.

Reactions: Astyanax and newfy

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Sure, to some extent. A 6'5 monster whose job is to play a simple defensive job needs a lot less creativity and vision than a 5'10 PMD whose job is to facilitate offense though. Sometimes it's enough for a guy to be the Marc Methot to an Erik Karlsson.

Probably because people keep naming names and bringing up defensive defensemen that were exponentially better moving the puck in juniors.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Probably because people keep naming names and bringing up defensive defensemen that were exponentially better moving the puck in juniors.
I pretty strongly question how many people here were watching Brook Orpik move the puck as a 17-18 year old in USHS-Prep back in 1998 and followed his puck moving ability through a couple of times being passed over in the draft, through his 3 NCAA seasons, where he averaged less than 1 goal per season, enough to confidently state that he was a significantly better puck mover.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I pretty strongly question how many people here were watching Brook Orpik move the puck as a 17-18 year old in USHS-Prep back in 1998 and followed his puck moving ability through a couple of times being passed over in the draft, through his 3 NCAA seasons, where he averaged less than 1 goal per season, enough to confidently state that he was a significantly better puck mover.
When people refer to moving the puck they aren't typically referring to shots on goal.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
In 4 years this will be even funnier than the Cholowski threads, lol. He's gonna do 4 years in college and sign somewhere else anyways, even if he does improve. The Wings should be stacked on D by then.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
In 4 years this will be even funnier than the Cholowski threads, lol. He's gonna do 4 years in college and sign somewhere else anyways, even if he does improve. The Wings should be stacked on D by then.
How so? Who is A) saying this is a great pick? And, B) saying with certainty he will be playing in the NHL? If that's been said it's from someone on my ignore list.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
How so? Who is A) saying this is a great pick? And, B) saying with certainty he will be playing in the NHL? If that's been said it's from someone on my ignore list.
The few Cholo fans trying to make this out like it's not a complete garbage pick.

Brady is going to need 4 years in college, then he's UFA. It's not really even worth discussing. If he becomes Orpik V2.0, it'll be with a different team. Then we'll really hate him, because he does know how to hit and likes to do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad