Prospect Info: 47OA: Brady Cleveland

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I have no issues with taking guys like Kasper or Danielson. Danielson in particular I think has a better offensive game than most give him credit for.

Even if we need more scoring on the wing.. I mean over the last month we have seen us trade for DeBrincat and a guy like Tarasenko be available for pretty cheap in free agency.

I have not had much of an issue at all with what Yzerman and Draper have done in the first, I am just not a fan of their strategy/philosophy with the picks in rounds 2-7 for the most part. With the amount of draft capital we have had I think we should have been taking a lot more big swings with those picks.
Honestly, we have so many defensemen in the organization that we could afford to target someone in this mold, especially after taking ASP in the first. The opportunity cost discussion needs to focus on the forwards we passed on, not the defensemen. For the sake of full disclosure, the forwards I personally wanted probably weren't "high upside, swing for the fences" prospects either.

Oddly enough, if you took NDN where you took Cleveland and vice versa, no one would be complaining about him.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Even defensive defenseman have to be able to retrieve and move picks and give you something in the offensive zone.
The first part yes, the second part less so imo. Obviously like anyone who wants to make the NHL he needs to be able to make some passes and move the puck with in order to survive at all, but look at Brooks Orpik. 1000+ NHL games, 18 goals total. In Washington he went 2 seasons without a goal and was part of a cup winning team.

Reactions: Murmansk16A

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The first part yes, the second part less so imo. Obviously like anyone who wants to make the NHL he needs to be able to make some passes and move the puck with in order to survive at all, but look at Brooks Orpik. 1000+ NHL games, 18 goals total. In Washington he went 2 seasons without a goal and was part of a cup winning team.

He was quite capable of carrying the puck though. During the Cup run the opponents heavily keyed in on Djoos and hit him every chance possible, especially LVGK. Orpik had to baby sit him, which meant he wound up with the puck. (Remember how soft Djoos was?)

3rd pair D don't need to be able to shoot, but they need to be able to carry the puck well enough that they don't treat the puck like a hot potato. The same people who hated Ericsson for pitchforking the puck every time are now wanting a kid with no puck skills?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Yeah the problem with someone that is just a big body in today's game is that essentially its a power play for the other team. They know now there are only 4 threats and they just need to keep their head up. If someone is going to be just a big body hitter they better be a dang good skater and at least be able to touch the puck or its a handicap for the 4 other players.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I generally agree with your point, but think you may be taking it too far. Every defensemen needs to be able to pass the puck to a certain degree. This doesn't mean 40ft stretch passes on demand, but they do need to know where pressure is coming from and how to move the puck safely and do so on time. I say that I agree with you because this is what keeps the vast, vast majority of NHL defensemen in the league. The average NHL defensemen is not nearly as impactful with the puck as we make them out to be.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Not that I think Brady Cleveland is going to be Brett Pesce, but let's not act like you need to score double digit goals every year as a defensive prospect to be an effective NHL player.

E: I wouldn't have went this route but they obviously think he can develop something and has traits that can't be taught.

Last edited:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'm sure this has been said:
Reminder that Erik Cernak was drafted around this spot in the draft.

Edit: forgot that he wasn't drafted by Tampa

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Reminder that no matter how low you think you're getting with scoring from defensive defensemen there is still a massive gulf between 36 points over two junior level seasons and 5 points over two junior level seasons.

Osgood had 1G 4A his draft year. Cleveland had 0G and 3A his draft year.

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I'm sure this has been said:
Reminder that Erik Cernak was drafted around this spot in the draft.

Edit: forgot that he wasn't drafted by Tampa

Cernak had double the production, in less games, while playing in a men’s league.

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
Reminder that there's not some baseline that all defensive players play exactly equal at defensively and the only tie breaker is their offense. It is also possible that he could have 0 offensive ability whatsoever and yet be better defensively than every NHL comparable y'all try to list off.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Reminder that there's not some baseline that all defensive players play exactly equal at defensively and the only tie breaker is their offense. It is also possible that he could have 0 offensive ability whatsoever and yet be better defensively than every NHL comparable y'all try to list off.

if he was THAT good defensively you'd think he would get invited to tournaments or his Coaches would play him in the Playoffs :laugh:

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
if he was THAT good defensively you'd think he would get invited to tournaments or his Coaches would play him in the Playoffs :laugh:
...I'd love to see some proof that either of these things is actually true.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
here's the Team USA roster for the currently ongoing World Junior Summer Showcase tournament, no Cleveland to be seen even though there's 16 Defensemen on the list including numerous teammates of his that were drafted well after he was:

here's the boxscores for the Playoff games I was talking about:

Reactions: norrisnick

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Dude, watch his shift by shift video. He can hit and take penalties. That's all it shows.

U of W has 6 returning defensemen, we'll see if he even gets any ice time. College hockey isn't very physical, he'll have to show D skills in order to get into any games.

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
here's the Team USA roster for the currently ongoing World Junior Summer Showcase tournament, no Cleveland to be seen even though there's 16 Defensemen on the list including numerous teammates of his that were drafted well after he was:

There's also a handful of other guys from the USNTDP team that aren't there. Are they nursing injuries? Collegiate obligations? Personal skills coaches? Flat out not invited?

No Gabe Perrault, no Will Smith, no Ryan Leonard, no Oliver Moore, no Trey Augustine, no Cole Eiserman.....

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
There's also a handful of other guys from the USNTDP team that aren't there. Are they nursing injuries? Collegiate obligations? Personal skills coaches? Flat out not invited?
Probably not invited because there are USHL players that are better. There are a few college kids on the roster as well. Makes it pretty tough for a 7D NTDP player to make the roster.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I'm not convinced that everyone has to be an offensive guy at lower levels if that's not what you're looking for them to become at the NHL level.

I've watched a couple of videos of him + dev camp. Looks to me like a guy that moves pretty well, has solid defensive fundamentals, takes the body every possible time, and never tries to do anything special with the puck except moving it to someone else.
The problem is, if a guy is playing against other teens, and doesn't have the vision, creativity, skating or handle to do somehting other than "move it to someone else" then he's going to be in big trouble against a higher level of competition when he has to problem solve. Without escapability skills he's just a turnover waiting to happen.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

No Gabe Perrault, no Will Smith, no Ryan Leonard, no Oliver Moore, no Trey Augustine, no Cole Eiserman.....
Moore, Perreault, Eiserman, Augustine, and Leonard are all participating in the Summer Showcase.

Have no clue what you guys are talking about as far as “NTDP Playoffs”.

Last edited:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
The internet has the answer for most everything. Just have to look.

As much as you want you can't predict the future. It's probably a shit pick, most everyone thinks so, but thinking it's shit and hoping it isn't doesn't hurt.
You're trying to convince people who are hoping the shitty pick isn't shitty that it has no hope of being not shit. Who cares, is there really anyone here that thinks this is a good pick and arguing that it was? I don't see it.

Edit: also, I hate that the title of this thread has had his name wrong forever.

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
As much as you want you can't predict the future. It's probably a shit pick, most everyone thinks so, but thinking it's shit and hoping it isn't doesn't hurt.
You're trying to convince people who are hoping the shitty pick isn't shitty that it has no hope of being not shit. Who cares, is there really anyone here that thinks this is a good pick and arguing that it was? I don't see it.

Edit: also, I hate that the title of this thread has had his name wrong forever.
Hope. By all means. Just try not to convince yourself that it's some megabrain pick because of said hope. Brady is a defenseman at the major junior level of hockey with the offensive output of a goalie. It is what it is. Am I rooting against him? Absolutely not. It's just stupidly rare for players to move up in tiers of hockey and also improve on their overall roles. And he would have to improve his role to even become an every day 3rd pairing defenseman. Guys that end up on the 3rd pairings in the NHL typically are at least 2nd pairing or higher guys in the minors or juniors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad