Prospect Info: 47OA: Brady Cleveland

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Cleveland only had one more point than 16yo Nick Kempf on the USNTDP this past season. Kempf is a goalie...

It's one thing to look at stats, but another to watch him play. He treats the puck like a hot potato, and looks like he's playing in a beer league when he touches the puck. (Obviously a lot more physical than a beer leaguer, but his puck skills are somewhere around B league.)

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
"Yeah, he got a guy who can be found in literally every free agency period, and is years away from hitting a middle pairing ceiling."

"A guy projected to be middle pairing? Those are routinely found in the 2nd round."

"I'm mad because you don't go wild card at #__. You can do that at #__ or #__."

"Everyone could be wrong, but, he was consensus ___________. He could be amazing in 10 years. But, its much more likely he won't be. At #__ that's not the profile of a player you want. If Detroit picked him at #__, that would be different."

" 'don't draft on the consensus' is an asinine thing to say. He's a guy I was thinking that I'd like trading up to __th overall if he was available. At #__ overall, its, in my mind, way too much of a gamble, especially when Detroit lacks top talent."

"I hope you're right, but, unless he really over achieves this will be considered a bad pick in retrospect."

"Detroit needed an elite player, and they picked a guy who is probably the least likely of any player in the ________ selections to be an elite player. I could be wrong, but, unless he really overachieves, this could be seen as a very poor selection in years to come."

Now, were these quotes I pulled from this thread, or quotes I pulled from Shaman when we drafted the best player on our team?

You have scouts to watch and evaluate players. You draft based on that. Not what Craig Button says or how Andreas Lilja's career turned out

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
"Yeah, he got a guy who can be found in literally every free agency period, and is years away from hitting a middle pairing ceiling."

"A guy projected to be middle pairing? Those are routinely found in the 2nd round."

"I'm mad because you don't go wild card at #__. You can do that at #__ or #__."

"Everyone could be wrong, but, he was consensus ___________. He could be amazing in 10 years. But, its much more likely he won't be. At #__ that's not the profile of a player you want. If Detroit picked him at #__, that would be different."

" 'don't draft on the consensus' is an asinine thing to say. He's a guy I was thinking that I'd like trading up to __th overall if he was available. At #__ overall, its, in my mind, way too much of a gamble, especially when Detroit lacks top talent."

"I hope you're right, but, unless he really over achieves this will be considered a bad pick in retrospect."

"Detroit needed an elite player, and they picked a guy who is probably the least likely of any player in the ________ selections to be an elite player. I could be wrong, but, unless he really overachieves, this could be seen as a very poor selection in years to come."

Now, were these quotes I pulled from this thread, or quotes I pulled from Shaman when we drafted the best player on our team?

You have scouts to watch and evaluate players. You draft based on that. Not what Craig Button says or how Andreas Lilja's career turned out

I'll take "Shit Shaman said about Larkin." for $200, Alex.

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
And to quote one of the people here that is currently in the discussion against drafting Cleveland in the second round

"Buddy, the rankings you are looking at don’t mean shit.

These GM’s have a good idea where guys are going to go."

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Just think about it logically, do you think the Red Wings drafted this guy thinking the absolute best he could possibly if all the stars align is a number 6 defenseman, or do you think they just have a different opinion of him than you do?
This is a very, very difficult concept for posters to grasp around here.

Reactions: lee13907

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Just think about it logically. What sense does it make to draft a guy, in the 2nd round no less, with bottom pairing upside? That's the kind of player you can pick up near league minimum every off-season.
Name some of these guys? 6'5, physical, actual legit 3rd pairing guys?

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
Just think about it logically. What sense does it make to draft a guy, in the 2nd round no less, with bottom pairing upside? That's the kind of player you can pick up near league minimum every off-season.

Name some of these guys? 6'5, physical, actual legit 3rd pairing guys?
If I may jump in here, why draft a small offensive minded defenseman with high upside, when that kind of player you can pick up near league minimum every off-season.

We could've got all of Gostisbehere, Merkley, Bear, Stetcher, DeAngelo this off season. All those "Quinn Hughes" types of players

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
I still don’t understand why people are mentioning his lack of goal scoring in this thread. It’s like some people have never actually watched footage of his gameplay.

He was most definitely not drafted for his goal scoring ability. He is an old school, rough, gritty player who willingly searches to make big hits on the ice. He’s exactly what this team has been lacking for ages.

Do I think he should have been drafted so high up in the 2nd round? Maybe he was chosen a few rounds too early, but only time will tell.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
As someone who wasn't happy with the pick, I'm starting to shift from pessimism to optimism. We literally just drafted the guy haha.

I'm intrigued that he labels himself as the #6 PK guy and knows his role. Maybe he's that kind of guy 7 years post draft where you look back at his NTDP/College/AHL and think "underwhelming big d-man" and then makes your roster and is stable, solid and cost effective. Then you realize you don't complain too much about him. Maybe his flaws in regards to puck management actually develop and he finds a niche being that kind of player he says he is, but in the NHL.

Maybe he becomes a Logan Stanley-lite (and let me just say that I'm glad we drafted that kind of guy at #47 rather than #18 like where Stanley went). Who knows?

People seem to be excited about NDN but maybe he's just another quick/flashy non-NHL regular Swede like Jonathan Dahlen. Those players sure get a lot of the benefit of the doubt. I'm guilty of doing it too.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
going to be hilarious to come back to this thread 5-8 years from now after Cleveland not only made the starting team for a few seasons, but found out how to shoot effectively.

Reminds me of happy gilmour lmao.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
If Yzerman and Co. took him that high, I totally trust that they see his potential being higher than that of a 3rd pairing 'shut down' guy.
Well, then somebody needs to clue Brady himself in as that's what he sees himself as.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Filter them however you like:

I would actually love to see your list of guys that fit the profile instead of posting a list of everyone and copping out.

Who on there is 6'3+, mean and can play a regular shift? Hell, even count forwards while youre at it. Theyre rare and its way easier to grab a small puck mover than someone with that profile

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Tinordi fits the bill, 6'6" 7D that likes to hit.
More of an AHLer than an NHLer though. The point I was making is that an actual regular NHL 3rd pairing guy who brings size and physicality is a pretty highly valued commmodity.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If I may jump in here, why draft a small offensive minded defenseman with high upside, when that kind of player you can pick up near league minimum every off-season.

We could've got all of Gostisbehere, Merkley, Bear, Stetcher, DeAngelo this off season. All those "Quinn Hughes" types of players

Ghost makes $4.125M and has trade value (3rd round last season). That's well above league min.

Stetcher is not high upside just small, and DeAngelo has personality issues. Merkley is an AHLer and Bear is average at best offensively. I think Bear's in the same situation as Suter, where he asked for too much and now can;t find a team

More of an AHLer than an NHLer though. The point I was making is that an actual regular NHL 3rd pairing guy who brings size and physicality is a pretty highly valued commmodity.
Why are we all the sudden assuming Cleveland is an NHLer? He'll be lucky to get as many games as Tinordi. It'd take a miracle considering he looks like a B league beer leaguer with the puck. Just watch that shift by shift video someone posted earlier.

MacDermid also fits the bill at 6'5", and he plays a little more often but doesn't hit as much.\

There's really not that much demand for big guys that can check with no puck skills. Guys like McIlrath wind up playing in the AHL, not NHL.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
If Yzerman and Co. took him that high, I totally trust that they see his potential being higher than that of a 3rd pairing 'shut down' guy.

Why? Teams draft players to fill roles, not just shoot for superstars in the late rounds. I know on HFBoards every pick needs to be seen as "unlimited potential" to be considered a great pick, but that's just not the reality of teams at the NHL draft.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Why are we all the sudden assuming Cleveland is an NHLer? He'll be lucky to get as many games as Tinordi. It'd take a miracle considering he looks like a B league beer leaguer with the puck. Just watch that shift by shift video someone posted earlier.
I think you're mistaking what the argument is. Norrisnick was saying why even draft a guy with a 3rd pairing ceiling - I'm pointing out that even a 3rd pairing player can be quite valuable. There's no assumption that he will reach his ceiling, just like we can't assume someone we could have drafted instead of him will become an NHLer.

If he had decent puck skills he would have been drafted higher, so it's really just a question if he can improve that at all. He's a gamble.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think you're mistaking what the argument is. Norrisnick was saying why even draft a guy with a 3rd pairing ceiling - I'm pointing out that even a 3rd pairing player can be quite valuable. There's no assumption that he will reach his ceiling, just like we can't assume someone we could have drafted instead of him will become an NHLer.

If he had decent puck skills he would have been drafted higher, so it's really just a question if he can improve that at all. He's a gamble.
Every draft pick is a gamble, it's just that the probability with someone like Cleveland is much lower. It's like betting on Arizona to win the Cup. He has by far the worst puck skills of any skater I've ever seen picked in the 2nd round. I not even sure I can think of a goalie that was worse.

Anyways, McDermid played more games than Tinordi if that floats your boat.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
As the prospect pool deepens, it becomes necessary to take some specific role players to fill obvious voids. Maybe he was taken early, but sometimes overpaying initially is cheaper in the long run.

He is the type of player that garner a large following if he makes the team.

Reactions: Spitfire11

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Sooner or later we were going to have to draft a tough guy to protect the other guys. He’s tough, 6:05, can skate, and play defense. That sounds alright to me. Did we draft him too soon, maybe. Perhaps one other team was ready to take him and we wanted him.
What if he is Big Buff2.0

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad