Prospect Info: #46 Overall, RD Seamus Casey US-NTDP

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Just set up Snuggerud from the right point to the left circle for a wide open net on the PP but Snuggerud fans on it. Seems like he might be over the sickness lol

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
With Hutson also in the game it's winner take all in the redraft WJC medals be damned.
Watching this tournament, I'd have to say (and I've said this before) the USA defenseman with the best NHL career will likely not be Hutson, but Casey. I'd also have to include Chesley in the conversation because, although he clearly doesn't wow you like the other two, his game is extremely suited to today's NHL and his bomb of a shot will get him on the scoreboard. And then we cannot forget 2024-eligible Zeev Buium, who is capable of elite offensive dynamism, as well.

I'd have to rank Casey at the top of this list right now, just based on the fact that he's the only one of Casey/Hutson/Buium who has figured out how to consistently impact the game offensively without sacrificing a surprisingly rock-solid defensive game. He's got a bit of Rafalski to his game, and that's no small compliment. I'd also say -- and don't tell this to any Montreal fans because I'm not really in the mood to fend off death threats -- that Casey's passing ability is elite, and higher-end than either Hutson or Buium. The kid's vision is simply extraordinary -- his ability to read the play without the puck -- is absolutely surgical. His positioning, especially in the offensive zone, is nothing short of magnificent and his ability to think three moves ahead has him often threading highlight-reel passes when a Hutson or Buium do not think so far ahead, preferring to just put their heads down and try to stickhandle around the opposition.

Again, I'm leaving Chesley out of this convo because he's an entirely different sort of player.If I was to compare Chesley to an ex-Devil, it would likely be Sheldon Souray, for those old enough to remember a player once traded for Vladimir Malakov. But that's the type of player every team would want, especially with a right-shot.

I'd say Hutson and Buium have the ability to outscore Casey, but that's merely stylistic because it's not based on talent -- as I said, Casey is the best passer and smartest with the puck of the 3 -- but rather on style. Casey simply doesn't cheat or take unnecessary chances to create offense like the other 2.

We have to give Buium's defensive lapses a bit of a pass of course, because he's about 2 years younger than the other 3. He is absolutely worth considering top 15 in the 2024 NHL Draft. His learning curve in the next two seasons will go a long way to determining whether he's going to be a 60+ point D you hope plays average D or something much more valuable, which would be a 50-point guy who plays solid in all three zones. This is about what I think we'll see from Hutson, who's inability to win puck battles or defend down low will likely see him getting closely-monitored minutes throughout his NHL career.

What I need to repeat about Hutson is that this is not a mental weakness as it is with some NHL offensive-defensemen (we're looking at you, Tony DeAngelo). Hutson's effort and hustle in all three zones is terrific, and he's an excellent young player by all means. He's just a guy with elite offensive ability who you hope grades out as close to average in other aspects of the game.

So, I'm ranking Casey as the top USA defense prospect based on elite stick handling, elite edges, even-more-elite passing, and a very good all around game.

I'm going to end this with even more superlatives, saying Casey right now, in my mind (now that Hughes and Nemec are in the NHL) is the Devils #1 amateur prospect. Hell, I'll take it one step further and say Casey is in the top 3 already-drafted defense prospects for the entire WJC tourney, along with (in no order) Reinbacher and Mateychuk. The kid is really special.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
He's got a bit of Rafalski to his game, and that's no small compliment. I'd also say -- and don't tell this to any Montreal fans because I'm not really in the mood to fend off death threats -- that Casey's passing ability is elite, and higher-end than either Hutson or Buium.

Soooo... how much is it worth to you for us to not link this post in the Montreal forums? :naughty:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Watching this tournament, I'd have to say (and I've said this before) the USA defenseman with the best NHL career will likely not be Hutson, but Casey. I'd also have to include Chesley in the conversation because, although he clearly doesn't wow you like the other two, his game is extremely suited to today's NHL and his bomb of a shot will get him on the scoreboard. And then we cannot forget 2024-eligible Zeev Buium, who is capable of elite offensive dynamism, as well.

I'd have to rank Casey at the top of this list right now, just based on the fact that he's the only one of Casey/Hutson/Buium who has figured out how to consistently impact the game offensively without sacrificing a surprisingly rock-solid defensive game. He's got a bit of Rafalski to his game, and that's no small compliment. I'd also say -- and don't tell this to any Montreal fans because I'm not really in the mood to fend off death threats -- that Casey's passing ability is elite, and higher-end than either Hutson or Buium. The kid's vision is simply extraordinary -- his ability to read the play without the puck -- is absolutely surgical. His positioning, especially in the offensive zone, is nothing short of magnificent and his ability to think three moves ahead has him often threading highlight-reel passes when a Hutson or Buium do not think so far ahead, preferring to just put their heads down and try to stickhandle around the opposition.

Again, I'm leaving Chesley out of this convo because he's an entirely different sort of player.If I was to compare Chesley to an ex-Devil, it would likely be Sheldon Souray, for those old enough to remember a player once traded for Vladimir Malakov. But that's the type of player every team would want, especially with a right-shot.

I'd say Hutson and Buium have the ability to outscore Casey, but that's merely stylistic because it's not based on talent -- as I said, Casey is the best passer and smartest with the puck of the 3 -- but rather on style. Casey simply doesn't cheat or take unnecessary chances to create offense like the other 2.

We have to give Buium's defensive lapses a bit of a pass of course, because he's about 2 years younger than the other 3. He is absolutely worth considering top 15 in the 2024 NHL Draft. His learning curve in the next two seasons will go a long way to determining whether he's going to be a 60+ point D you hope plays average D or something much more valuable, which would be a 50-point guy who plays solid in all three zones. This is about what I think we'll see from Hutson, who's inability to win puck battles or defend down low will likely see him getting closely-monitored minutes throughout his NHL career.

What I need to repeat about Hutson is that this is not a mental weakness as it is with some NHL offensive-defensemen (we're looking at you, Tony DeAngelo). Hutson's effort and hustle in all three zones is terrific, and he's an excellent young player by all means. He's just a guy with elite offensive ability who you hope grades out as close to average in other aspects of the game.

So, I'm ranking Casey as the top USA defense prospect based on elite stick handling, elite edges, even-more-elite passing, and a very good all around game.

I'm going to end this with even more superlatives, saying Casey right now, in my mind (now that Hughes and Nemec are in the NHL) is the Devils #1 amateur prospect. Hell, I'll take it one step further and say Casey is in the top 3 already-drafted defense prospects for the entire WJC tourney, along with (in no order) Reinbacher and Mateychuk. The kid is really special.

Always great to hear from you. Happy New Year and I’m hopeful all is well on your end.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
I’d GRUDGINGLY do it for a proven, consistent, top goalie. That’s it.

Ya Saros for sure, although it would hurt me emotionally. Gibson? GTFO.
I’d say the hell with it and get Askarov if they’ll move him. Roll the dice and if he hits, that’s the keeper to grow with the team. Possibly not realistic but whatever.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
If he wasn’t going to end up in Philly then California was the next best spot so at least he’s with SJ

I'm sure the Flyers didn't even want him. As soon as he got in one little fight his mom would've sent in a trade request.

At least there's a lot of fun nicknames they can have for him I'd be pissed if it was something boring like Willy or Smithy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad