Prospect Info: #46 Overall, RD Seamus Casey US-NTDP

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
a great WJC showing for casey as well, and a better outcome than poor lenni got. we might not have had many prospects in the tournament, but they certainly held their own. as always, seamo was a hyper mobile, 200ft option who showcased his elite vision all over the ice. speedy, elusive, agile, pretty much any superlative you can come up with described his skating. big time play catalyst as well, as weve all come to expect. obviously with greatest prospect of all time lane on the team, he wasnt exactly the top playmaking option from the backend, but i thought he was about as involved as he could be finding teammates for dangerous chances and keeping many plays alive at the point using his great awareness and escapability. his combination of seamless entries and well timed activations made him a player sweden had to keep an eye on whenever he was on the ice. just remarkable calmness on the puck at all times. thought he also showcased a stable and impressively physical defensive game, not afraid to tie up guys in front or initiate contact himself along the boards. a modern day do-all defender in spite of his frame. ive definitely grown tired of our boy being undersold as just an offensive defender. now, with all this praise, i dont think this was the best ive seen him play. his puck management was shakier than im used to seeing, both in terms of his pass decisions as well as some sloppy handling, which occasionally got him in trouble. i understand he was ill and think its fine attributing a chunk of these issues to that, but i think its a little disingenuous to blame it all on that. in any case, it was still a largely positive showing, and, as expected, he looks too important to the future of the org to ship out for short term help in net. great day for casey (and us) for winning gold

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Our gold medal boy

Boy Star.jpg

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Seamus Casey, RHD, Michigan (NJD)​

Stats: 6 GP, 0 G, 6 A, 6 PTS, 2 PIM, +8, 7 SOG, 17:08 TOI/GP

I thought Casey had a so-so start to the tournament, but he got better every game and by the end was a critical piece for Team USA in the way they expected him to be. Casey finished with six assists in just six games – the best of which came in the semifinal against Finland during which he played 21-plus minutes.

Casey also made a play that helped set up USA’s first goal in the gold-medal game on a fancy zone entry where he beat a defender and put a puck into space for Rutger McGroarty who started the goal-scoring play. He made a lot of plays in the tournament, but I also thought his defending was solid.

Casey has improved his strength over the last two years, allowing him to be more disruptive in the defensive zone. He also turns pucks up ice quickly, doing so with either his feet or moving pucks up ice with good outlet passes. He can also extend plays at the offensive blue line and picks his spots well of when to jump in the play.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Seamus Casey, RHD, Michigan (NJD)​

Stats: 6 GP, 0 G, 6 A, 6 PTS, 2 PIM, +8, 7 SOG, 17:08 TOI/GP

I thought Casey had a so-so start to the tournament, but he got better every game and by the end was a critical piece for Team USA in the way they expected him to be. Casey finished with six assists in just six games – the best of which came in the semifinal against Finland during which he played 21-plus minutes.

Casey also made a play that helped set up USA’s first goal in the gold-medal game on a fancy zone entry where he beat a defender and put a puck into space for Rutger McGroarty who started the goal-scoring play. He made a lot of plays in the tournament, but I also thought his defending was solid.

Casey has improved his strength over the last two years, allowing him to be more disruptive in the defensive zone. He also turns pucks up ice quickly, doing so with either his feet or moving pucks up ice with good outlet passes. He can also extend plays at the offensive blue line and picks his spots well of when to jump in the play.

Right now it’s hard to say whether Casey or Hutson goes ahead of McDavid in a redraft.

You missed the last part of the article so I added it in for you. No need to thank me.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
If Daws can provide some steady goaltending the need for a trade diminishes
Totally agree. Casey is fantastic and a special player. I’d like to see Daws get some extended run; it lessens the need to pull off a blockbuster if he is good. I really do not want to part with Casey so having an internal solution for our goaltending would be ideal.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
28 points in 20 games, quite impressive from an offensive standpoint. I fear he will be included in a major trade this year but this team needs it.
I doubt he is moved. Fitzgerald isn't throwing our best prospect away for what a goalie ? When the Devils are fully healthy we have a great lineup. It's getting better play from our goaltending and coaching that really is holding them back. At the same time no hugh end goalie is realistically available. Trading Casey for someone like Askarov , Wallstdedt or Wolf is a possibility. Trading Casey for an average NHL goalie is not a smart move though. The Devils plan on trying to contend for a Cup realistically the next 3 to 5 seasons...Casey would be a big part of that contention. Trading for an average goalie is too big of a risk if Casey is the main piece of the deal.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
I doubt he is moved. Fitzgerald isn't throwing our best prospect away for what a goalie ? When the Devils are fully healthy we have a great lineup. It's getting better play from our goaltending and coaching that really is holding them back. At the same time no hugh end goalie is realistically available. Trading Casey for someone like Askarov , Wallstdedt or Wolf is a possibility. Trading Casey for an average NHL goalie is not a smart move though. The Devils plan on trying to contend for a Cup realistically the next 3 to 5 seasons...Casey would be a big part of that contention. Trading for an average goalie is too big of a risk if Casey is the main piece of the deal.
The only way I would begrudgingly even consider dealing Casey is for one of those select names you mentioned. Let’s hope we have something in Daws. He’s flashed for sure. We just need a greater sample size.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Trading away your best prospect as a panic move because your team has been mediocre and injured to hell and might not make the playoffs sure would be a decision.

The reports have already been out there that the teams with goalies have been trying to extort the hell out of the teams looking for goalies.

Then for Dmen you’ve got a guy like Tanev who is great but 34. I’m not trading a guy this good for a 34 year old. Then there’s Hanifin who is good but obviously stupid as a rental and isn’t worth signing long term to this next deal. Chychrun would be the most worthwhile as you get this year and next on a good deal but then would have to sign him to a big deal.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Casey is close to be Quinn Hughes level of prospect. We don't need to trade him.
May be if guys like Gauthier, Sneggerud, Yurov, Kulich, Peterka, Knies etc are available, but they are not. Wallstedt and Askarov are not available too. And most of teams needs in this prospects more than Casey. May be Sabres only could deal someone because they need much more defense.

Last edited:

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
So, is Seamus signing with us at the end of the year or what?

It’s a weird situation. That’d burn a year and then he’d only have 2 years left when he might not even be a regular next year vs maybe an AHL deal to finish this year then signs his ELC in the offseason and has 3 years. Disregarding the logistics and just focusing on if he’d be good enough yet I think he’d already be good enough but he’s an undersized 20 year old so I could definitely see Lindy dragging his feet on wanting to use him this year

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
It’s a weird situation. That’d burn a year and then he’d only have 2 years left when he might not even be a regular next year vs maybe an AHL deal to finish this year then signs his ELC in the offseason and has 3 years. Disregarding the logistics and just focusing on if he’d be good enough yet I think he’d already be good enough but he’s an undersized 20 year old so I could definitely see Lindy dragging his feet on wanting to use him this year
There’s a part of me that’s scared of losing him. He has toes to the org with his family being from NJ and Michigan guys, so it’s not rational at all. But realistically, what do you think happens with him?

Another year at UM and signs after next season?

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad