Prospect Info: #46 Overall, RD Seamus Casey US-NTDP

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Casey vs Lenni battling for the top prospect spot

WWE-7.jpeg

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Dmen aren’t one and dones in the NCAA. It especially would never be a guy like Casey who was a mid 2nd round pick and still hasn’t played the 1D role in the NCAA. Hanifin’s the only guy I can think of who was a one and done. Everyone else is 2 at a minimum.
idrk a whole lot about prospects so i was just curious!

i hope he has a good attitude about it; doesnt get too cocky or too bored and keeps working on areas of need

Reactions: Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
train with traffic cone.

Casey looks awesome. Cant wait until he will play in AHL or NHL. It would be interesting to see how he can play center role. Just for fun. May be its much easier path for him in Devils organisation. But everytime when we think about translating the player from defenseman to forward, it will never comes true absolutely most of the times.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
why didnt he go to the AHL?

isnt the Comets' defense stinky?

Most non-blue chip NCAA guys are going to stick around for 2-3 years. From a life perspective, it's probably a lot more fun to be big man on campus than to ride the buses in the AHL as a teenager. Casey was set to inherit a lot more responsibility for Michigan and it's also his last WJC eligible year. Hypothetically he could have been released to go play if he had been in the AHL, but probably a little cleaner since there isn't a big overlap with the WJC and the NCAA schedule.

Michigan made the Frozen Four last year but were knocked in the semifinals. So there might be a degree of unfinished business for Casey. Initially Logan Cooley was going to return for his sophomore year but eventually the allure of an NHL paycheck was enough for him to give up another crack at a national title / WJC gold.

Usually you don't see guys leave early to play in the AHL. Alex Turcotte is a bit of a cautionary tale as he turned pro after his freshman year without any assurances that he'd make the Kings NHL roster. Since he signed at 19, his contract slid. Whereas his former NTDP teammates like Cole Caufield and Matt Boldy went back to college to complete their sophomore years. It's a quirk in the CBA, but since Caufield/Boldy signed as 20 year olds, they were able to burn the first year of their ELC immediately. Caufield/Boldy cashed in as RFAs this past summer while Turcotte still has one more ELC year even though he turned pro a full year earlier than them.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
idrk a whole lot about prospects so i was just curious!

i hope he has a good attitude about it; doesnt get too cocky or too bored and keeps working on areas of need
Listening to the kid speak he sounds like the biggest hockey nerd. I don’t have worries about him slacking off and he probably knows what he needs to work on more than anyone

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Do we think Casey is done after this year?

Probably depends on how much fun he's having in college. If it were me, I'd probably take a year of college over a year in the AHL.

I'm sure the team will push for him to sign after this season. Fitz might have to offer to burn the first year like we did with Joey Anderson in 2018 (and Steve Santini before that). Since Casey would have to sign a 3 year ELC if he signed spring 2024 or spring 2025, there might be some financial incentive to get a head start on the first contract.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Most non-blue chip NCAA guys are going to stick around for 2-3 years. From a life perspective, it's probably a lot more fun to be big man on campus than to ride the buses in the AHL as a teenager. Casey was set to inherit a lot more responsibility for Michigan and it's also his last WJC eligible year. Hypothetically he could have been released to go play if he had been in the AHL, but probably a little cleaner since there isn't a big overlap with the WJC and the NCAA schedule.

Michigan made the Frozen Four last year but were knocked in the semifinals. So there might be a degree of unfinished business for Casey. Initially Logan Cooley was going to return for his sophomore year but eventually the allure of an NHL paycheck was enough for him to give up another crack at a national title / WJC gold.

Usually you don't see guys leave early to play in the AHL. Alex Turcotte is a bit of a cautionary tale as he turned pro after his freshman year without any assurances that he'd make the Kings NHL roster. Since he signed at 19, his contract slid. Whereas his former NTDP teammates like Cole Caufield and Matt Boldy went back to college to complete their sophomore years. It's a quirk in the CBA, but since Caufield/Boldy signed as 20 year olds, they were able to burn the first year of their ELC immediately. Caufield/Boldy cashed in as RFAs this past summer while Turcotte still has one more ELC year even though he turned pro a full year earlier than them.

Non blue chip? Non blue chip? Haven’t you been following the Hameenaho thread? At this point Casey and Hameenaho are so blue chip they are azul or cobalt. Both would go ahead of anyone but Hutson in any redraft of any year. Get with the program.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
If the Devils defense ends up being as stacked as we currently think I'd have no problem trying out Casey as a hybrid player that can play forward or defense. I'd imagine versatility was a big reason why Fitz added Brendan Smith to the team and it would be a great way to get Casey an NHL spot early in his career until a more permanent spot opens up on the defense.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
If we give him 2023-24 in NCAA and then assign him to the AHL for 24-25, our situation in the NHL going into the summer of 2025 will look like:

Dougie Hamilton (33) - 3 years remaining @ 9M AAV
John Marino (28) - 2 years remaining @ 4.4M AAV
Jonas Siegenthaler (28) - 3 year remaining @ 3.4M AAV
Luke Hughes (22) - RFA
Kevin Bahl (25) - RFA
Simon Nemec (21) - 1 year remaining @ ELC

I think it's a good idea to start grooming Casey for NHL action sooner rather than later. We have no idea what Dougie may or may not look like as he progresses through his 30s. It might be in our best interest to dump him (or Marino for that matter) if the aging curve hits them particularly hard or a major injury comes up.

Honestly though that outlook is sexy as hell and it took a lot of mental gymnastics to find something wrong with it. Good lord we're spoiled these days.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
If we give him 2023-24 in NCAA and then assign him to the AHL for 24-25, our situation in the NHL going into the summer of 2025 will look like:

Dougie Hamilton (33) - 3 years remaining @ 9M AAV
John Marino (28) - 2 years remaining @ 4.4M AAV
Jonas Siegenthaler (28) - 3 year remaining @ 3.4M AAV
Luke Hughes (22) - RFA
Kevin Bahl (25) - RFA
Simon Nemec (21) - 1 year remaining @ ELC

I think it's a good idea to start grooming Casey for NHL action sooner rather than later. We have no idea what Dougie may or may not look like as he progresses through his 30s. It might be in our best interest to dump him (or Marino for that matter) if the aging curve hits them particularly hard or a major injury comes up.

Honestly though that outlook is sexy as hell and it took a lot of mental gymnastics to find something wrong with it. Good lord we're spoiled these days.
Dumping Hamilton makes the most sense, we'll probably be needing the cap space to sign Luke and the roster spot to give to Casey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad