Prospect Info: #46 Overall, RD Seamus Casey US-NTDP

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I'd like to see him try playing wing when he gets to Utica. Right side is crowded in NJ with Hamilton, Marino and Nemec. He's really talented and has wonderful offensive skill. Might be a quick way to get him to the NHL. Just a thought.

Reactions: MichaelJ

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'd like to see him try playing wing when he gets to Utica. Right side is crowded in NJ with Hamilton, Marino and Nemec. He's really talented and has wonderful offensive skill. Might be a quick way to get him to the NHL. Just a thought.
For a Defenseman, the biggest insult you can throw on him is "maybe would try him on the wing" in my opinion

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
OK, to me it's not an insult. He isn't going to displace one of the three guys ahead of him anytime soon. Does he want to play in Utica or NJ?
Let things play out, maybe he or someone else will play their offside. I haven't been impressed with Bahl at all in his current role. Injuries happen and players get traded.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
Let things play out, maybe he or someone else will play their offside. I haven't been impressed with Bahl at all in his current role. Injuries happen and players get traded.

That’s all fair. I’d just like him to have a chance to make the roster. NJ sent Nemec down when he was much better than Miller for example.

Reactions: Guadana

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Hamilton is productive sure, but he's awful defensively and terribly soft. Come playoff time he's a huge liability.
It’s unlikely that Nemec, Luke, or Casey ever have the actual measurable defensive impact that Hamilton has had in his career, despite the fact that he doesn’t appear to be that good in that area by the eye test.

Reactions: Guadana

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It’s unlikely that Nemec, Luke, or Casey ever have the actual measurable defensive impact that Hamilton has had in his career, despite the fact that he doesn’t appear to be that good in that area by the eye test.
Hamilton isn't even a glaringly bad defender by the eye test. He's slow, and he's not physical, but he looks fine defensively to me. Good stick, covers a ton of area via wingspan, moves the puck out of harms way well.

The "awful" stuff has no basis.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Hamilton protects a lot of ice. He isn't reactive, but his iq and positional vision are very good. Im surprised im defending Hamilton as defenseman but he deserving credits. Of course I like Marino more and would prefer Devils could develop faster defensemen who can make fast decisions on the shirt distance, but its not an easy to ask what is Dougie doing.

Dougie doing.

And its interesting case how Devils will act with Casey, because he is obvious talent, but Marino signed on a cheap deal and he is very important for this team as shutdown defenseman and as pk defenseman. Nemec is untouchable, Hamilton is untouchable and very impactful for the next years.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Hamilton protects a lot of ice. He isn't reactive, but his iq and positional vision are very good. Im surprised im defending Hamilton as defenseman but he deserving credits. Of course I like Marino more and would prefer Devils could develop faster defensemen who can make fast decisions on the shirt distance, but its not an easy to ask what is Dougie doing.

Dougie doing.

And its interesting case how Devils will act with Casey, because he is obvious talent, but Marino signed on a cheap deal and he is very important for this team as shutdown defenseman and as pk defenseman. Nemec is untouchable, Hamilton is untouchable and very impactful for the next years.

Hamilton is also sturdy. He gets hit but guys usually bounce off him.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
2 on 1s and physical battles would be the points of criticism for Dougie bu he avoids those game states more often than the average D.

I actually would love to see Casey up front. Especially if Holtz, Gritsyuk and Filmon all have issues.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Players have done it but almost none of them have stuck there. It's generally a terrible idea IMO.
Ya, it seems that when a guy can maybe play either position, or when a player transitions from one to the other, the success stories all seem to be guys who end up playing D.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Players have done it but almost none of them have stuck there. It's generally a terrible idea IMO.
This is true.

The logjam is a good problem to have, there is still a lot of time before he’s even a consideration, plus we’re seeing NHL rosters go 8D deep all year. The years he overlaps with Hamilton and/or Marino, he could work his way in the way Bahl has. But to me, he’s the sort of talent you make room for, despite his size.

Maybe it’s much ado about nothing and another factor makes the decision clear over the years but I’d hate to part with this player unless it slam dunk addresses goaltending. Anyway, this is years away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad