Prospect Info: #46 Overall, RD Seamus Casey US-NTDP

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Hamilton protects a lot of ice. He isn't reactive, but his iq and positional vision are very good. Im surprised im defending Hamilton as defenseman but he deserving credits. Of course I like Marino more and would prefer Devils could develop faster defensemen who can make fast decisions on the shirt distance, but its not an easy to ask what is Dougie doing.

Dougie doing.

And its interesting case how Devils will act with Casey, because he is obvious talent, but Marino signed on a cheap deal and he is very important for this team as shutdown defenseman and as pk defenseman. Nemec is untouchable, Hamilton is untouchable and very impactful for the next years.

Not to hijack a thread about Seamus, but since several other's have commented about Dougie relative to Casey's future.

Contract aside, if history is any indication Hamilton has had a shelf life of three years with each time for which he's played to this point. This is his third season with the Devils.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Not to hijack a thread about Seamus, but since several other's have commented about Dougie relative to Casey's future.

Contract aside, if history is any indication Hamilton has had a shelf life of three years with each time for which he's played to this point. This is his third season with the Devils.
At this moment, circumstances have changed. Dougie has grown older, he is signed to an expensive multi-year contract, while his importance to the Devils at the moment is difficult to overestimate.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Hamilton isn't even a glaringly bad defender by the eye test. He's slow, and he's not physical, but he looks fine defensively to me. Good stick, covers a ton of area via wingspan, moves the puck out of harms way well.

The "awful" stuff has no basis.
he is a traffic cone in transition. once in his own zone he is fine. but in transition he is awful as he isn't mobile enough.

Reactions: My3Sons

devilsfan950003

Jul 3, 2023
He’s also signed for five more years with a lot of NMC and trade protection. He’s going to block Casey for a while.

Hamilton isn't even a glaringly bad defender by the eye test. He's slow, and he's not physical, but he looks fine defensively to me. Good stick, covers a ton of area via wingspan, moves the puck out of harms way well.

The "awful" stuff has no basis.
Karlsson is awful defensively.

Reactions: My3Sons

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Watched Michigan at UMass and Casey seem to have some difficulty with the more physical players from UMass. He's a fun player to watch and I really like him but I do have my doubts about him being able to handle NHL forwards.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Watched Michigan at UMass and Casey seem to have some difficulty with the more physical players from UMass. He's a fun player to watch and I really like him but I do have my doubts about him being able to handle NHL forwards.
That was a main question from the beginning. Its okay if he will need some time. He will not have experience of puck battles against stronger players until he will start to play against them regularly.
We have Dougie, Marino and Simon, if he will take some time, even 3 more years in ahl/minor role in nhl, it will not hurt him or Devils.

Reactions: JimEIV and My3Sons

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
How Lane Hutson is doing? Still million times better than Casey?
Watched Boston latest game, if he is better than Seamus, we should not wait something good from Casey.
What negatives did you notice from Hutson’s game? The few Habs fans I know keep raving about him!

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
What negatives did you notice from Hutson’s game? The few Habs fans I know keep raving about him!
Am I noticed something good?
okay, to be honest, he doesnt look like a good defenseman, and I don’t like some attributes of his skating for a player of his size. He isn’t good on the short distances without the puck in d zone - it’s a huge issue for a small player.

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Only 19, as others mentioned didn't handle a physical game all that well. The question will become, can he get stronger without losing speed better at the college level or the AHL?

I feel like plenty of people were his size and smaller and quite successful in the NHL. His talent is obvious so I am less concerned than someone with more general ability.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I feel like plenty of people were his size and smaller and quite successful in the NHL. His talent is obvious so I am less concerned than someone with more general ability.
Michigan lists him as 5’10” and 178, which is still small but not egregiously so.

casey’s hockeydb page listed him as 5’9” and 162 so hopefully the Devils luck out and he’s still growing.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

It also helps that he's not a liability defensively. His size will present some issues but he's a good defender

Michigan lists him as 5’10” and 178, which is still small but not egregiously so.

casey’s hockeydb page listed him as 5’9” and 162 so hopefully the Devils luck out and he’s still growing.

IIRC at dev camp they said he was 5'10 180 so the Michigan one seems right

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

It also helps that he's not a liability defensively. His size will present some issues but he's a good defender

IIRC at dev camp they said he was 5'10 180 so the Michigan one seems right

Casey was 5’9.5” and 173 at the 2022 NHL Draft Combine so the Hockeydb stats are pretty outdated.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
The size concerns are overblown imo, he’s not 5’4” he’s 5’10”. There’s plenty of diminutive offense-first defenders who’ve carved out very successful NHL careers.

Casey is a serious talent, at this point I’d view someone like Torey Krug as the absolute floor for him in the NHL.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Hockey Reference has Jack at 5'11 - 175

Quinn at 5'10 - 180

Elite has Casey at 5'9 - 161

When Jack and Quinn have 15/20 pounds on you...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad