Prospect Info: #46 Overall, RD Seamus Casey US-NTDP

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Decided to take a look at the best 20 and under Dman seasons in the NCAA over the past 20 years. Familiar face topping the list. Smith-Luke must be such a good pair. I mean they're 1st and 4th on this list

Screenshot 2023-10-28 at 8.47.32 PM.png

Last edited:

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
If Casey is going to be a strong NHL defenseman (top 4 caliber) then don’t reset some of his learning, progress, and instincts by making him learn to be a winger. Instead be happy with the surprise riches you’ve found.

If he can’t make the NHL as a capable defenseman, then sure, try him at forward but if he can’t make it on defense then he probably won’t be able to make it as a forward either.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I'm starting to have this creeping thought in my mind that this kid won't sign with us lol. I know it isn't rational or based in reality, I know his family has ties to the team, it's just that I really want him in the org. and I'm anxious lol.

Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I'm starting to have this creeping thought in my mind that this kid won't sign with us lol. I know it isn't rational or based in reality, I know his family has ties to the team, it's just that I really want him in the org. and I'm anxious lol.
Imagine growing up a Devils fan and then refusing to sign with them :laugh: Man, these past 10 or so years have done you damage.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Gonna cost him a lot of money if he stays for two more years.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I'm still shocked at so many things. How this guy went from very highly anticipated prospect to dropping to 2nd round, and also the amount of progression he's suddenly shown. Maybe being drafted by the devils really motivated him, who knows?

I was completely floored this guy was available and was drafted by us when I saw it.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Of all the things to be negative about, for someone who is never negative....lol
I mean, I just had a crippling feeling, I know it's not rational AT ALL and I'm not arguing for reasons why he won't sign. I just sometimes get uneasy with NCAA prospects. It's not based on anything and I know Casey will most likely sign. I'm not really thinking about being negative about this, I'm still very optimistic about him coming here, it's just that I like him very much as a prospect lol.

It's uncharacteristic of me I know lol, not saying he won't sign at all, it's more of a "I really hope he does sign". More of a fear than a statement if you will.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
I mean, I just had a crippling feeling, I know it's not rational AT ALL and I'm not arguing for reasons why he won't sign. I just sometimes get uneasy with NCAA prospects. It's not based on anything and I know Casey will most likely sign. I'm not really thinking about being negative about this, I'm still very optimistic about him coming here, it's just that I like him very much as a prospect lol.

It's uncharacteristic of me I know lol, not saying he won't sign at all, it's more of a "I really hope he does sign". More of a fear than a statement if you will.
Are you being held hostage?! What’s happened to the real @Devs3cups

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
I'm still shocked at so many things. How this guy went from very highly anticipated prospect to dropping to 2nd round, and also the amount of progression he's suddenly shown. Maybe being drafted by the devils really motivated him, who knows?

I was completely floored this guy was available and was drafted by us when I saw it.
obv when talking nhl gm's size/strength are gonna weigh heavily here, and for as immaculate of a skater as he is, i wouldnt say he looked the part of a speedster that often in his DY. but i think even beyond how the draft went, a lot of people undervalued him in their rankings because they were mischaracterizing him as a purely offensive defender. people saw a tiny, shifty D and immediately diverted to offensively leaning, and worse than that a lot of them penalized him for his point totals not jumping off the page (compared to hutson's for example) when so much of that was attributed to opportunity, or lack thereof. so while hes continuing to improve offensively i wouldnt go so far as to say hes unlocking some new level we didnt know about, i think hes just getting a better chance to leverage it now. and even further, he makes so many subtle, smart/controlled plays that i think could slip under the radar for the more casual scouters and kinda go underappreciated. anecdotally i would say most people who looked past the numbers/strict OFD characterization, and past the lack of strength/power that were likely to get a bit more built up down the road, had him ranked as a 1st round talent

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
obv when talking nhl gm's size/strength are gonna weigh heavily here, and for as immaculate of a skater as he is, i wouldnt say he looked the part of a speedster that often in his DY. but i think even beyond how the draft went, a lot of people undervalued him in their rankings because they were mischaracterizing him as a purely offensive defender. people saw a tiny, shifty D and immediately diverted to offensively leaning, and worse than that a lot of them penalized him for his point totals not jumping off the page (compared to hutson's for example) when so much of that was attributed to opportunity, or lack thereof. so while hes continuing to improve offensively i wouldnt go so far as to say hes unlocking some new level we didnt know about, i think hes just getting a better chance to leverage it now. and even further, he makes so many subtle, smart/controlled plays that i think could slip under the radar for the more casual scouters and kinda go underappreciated. anecdotally i would say most people who looked past the numbers/strict OFD characterization, and past the lack of strength/power that were likely to get a bit more built up down the road, had him ranked as a 1st round talent

A lot of these things I mentioned before. I'm not surprised he dropped (because prospects like him drop literally all the time), but to the 2nd round was surprising to me. The offensive explosion is surprising to me as well. I haven't followed NCAA too closely over the years so idk what the trend is regarding point pacing and how it averages out over time. For example, in the NHL, players are on like 200 point pace at start of season but no one actually hits that. Is it like that in NCAA too? He's currently on 1.75 ppg as sophomore dman. That's insanity.

Before he was on draft radar, this kid was an offensive dynamo. That's probably where that reputation came from about him being all offense and also why his stock dropped because he wasn't "producing" like people expected. Saying he hasn't unlocked some new level we didn't know about, is just using hindsight.

Reactions: My3Sons

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Imagine growing up a Devils fan and then refusing to sign with them :laugh: Man, these past 10 or so years have done you damage.
we had other bad experiences with prospects who are devils fans. there's the one who never turned into something useful.

@My3Sons : what was his name?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
we had other bad experiences with prospects who are devils fans. there's the one who never turned into something useful.

@My3Sons : what was his name?

A prospect that grew up a Devils fan who refused to sign with the team coming out of college? I’m not sure. Van Ryne comes to mind but he wasn’t a Devils fan.

Ad

Ad

Ad