Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com please DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I get it, but I think Broberg's playoff success is a bit misleading. It was basically a lot of luck in a short sample size. The guy has talent, but I don't think he has the iq to be a top 4 guy. If you look deeper at his playoff numbers there's another story. Yes, he had 2 goals and an assist but...

1. He took 6 shots. He's not going to shoot 33%. His shot rates were the 2nd lowest of all EDM D, with only Vincent Desharnais shooting less often.
  2. His 1 assist in the playoffs was a secondary assist on the pp.
  3. He had 7 giveaways and 1 takeaway. His giveaways per 60 was the worst of all EDM D.
  4. He had less than a hit a game, with every other D on the team ranging from 3 hits to 6 hits a game... he was .76 hits per game.
  5. He took 12 hits a game. More than any other D.
  6. The team was vastly out shot with him on the ice. His 43% SF% was worst on the team,
  7. His GF% was actually best on the team. But I'd argue that's a lot of luck. Being out shots 57 to 43 but out scoring 8 to 2 is crazy luck. Maybe it was his team was getting really good shots with him on the ice.. Nope. His xGF% was 40%, 2nd worst of the D. Again just really lucky.
  8. More on the luck... the other teams had more scoring chances with him on the ice. His SCF% was 38%... worst of the D.
  9. He was 2nd worst on the team with High Danger Chances Against and worst with High Dangers For %.
  10. His numbers were raised due to just an absurd save percentage. With him on the ice the goalies stopped 97% of shots faced at 5 on 5. With him off it was more like 88%. You can say that's because his defense was so elite the goalies only had easy shots with him there. But the High Danger Numbers and the pure shot volume numbers don't make that seem to be true.
He's a big, physically talented guy who can skate. I'm not denying that. It totally could be that he's turned a corner and those 10 games may mean he's ready for more. But the 12 games he played in the season, he had similarly bad underlying numbers... but just not as much shooting luck or goals against luck.

EDM would be crazy to match the offer. Though I do think they'll match on Holloway.
Edm has Savoie now so they might not match on Holloway but who knows..Friedman thinks they will though. .I think Broberg has potential to be very good myself and obviously Army does to putting in that offer sheet.Oilers made him play his offside to and we saw Bruins struggle before doing that...Good work on those stats though for sure much appreciated.Oilers are losing somebody they can't keep them all and no way anyone taking Cody Ceci without a 1st attached and Oilers 1st not till 2026 .They can use Kane's LTIR but he will be back eventually.Again somebody is going.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
i want a cup but would like to see a tougher all around team.

still wondering if the bring in a PTO player.
Got a feeling it will be Yamamoto. Not thrilled by the idea. Still some big, tough D out there who could compete with Wotherspoon for 7th D.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
The D is all set for now, RW, goal scorer, should be a priority, hopefully someone on the roster will take that RW opening.
Make no mistake I love the D but I would like to see a Josh Brown type of D push Wotherspoon for the 7th spot and I like Wotherspoon a lot. I think they have to use PTO's to drive competition as they have so few prospects ready to play in the NHL. I don't consider Brazeau and Poitras prospects at this point but regulars, so that leaves them with Kuntar and Lysell who can push for jobs in camp.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Who?

I don't see people asking for 23 enforcers on the team. I see people who want this team to be tougher to play against and to be able to ramp up a physical brand of hockey in April and beyond. I'm not seeing anyone who wants 14 Nic Deslauriers and the rest Matt Rempes.

Also, what a weird "I TOLD YOU SO" thing to root for just to take a dump on the "toughness crowd" - Especially after saying you like what they've added.
Relax, it was not a serious post lol, but there's a lot of space in between wanting 14 rempes (which isn't close to what I said) and the group of posters saying we lost because of toughness every postseason even when our depth scoring and 5 on 5 play has been the main culprit most of these past few years.

As I said, I like their offseason and the beef they added, I think it will help, but wouldn't be surprised if depth sinks them again

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Make no mistake I love the D but I would like to see a Josh Brown type of D push Wotherspoon for the 7th spot and I like Wotherspoon a lot. I think they have to use PTO's to drive competition as they have so few prospects ready to play in the NHL. I don't consider Brazeau and Poitras prospects at this point but regulars, so that leaves them with Kuntar and Lysell who can push for jobs in camp.
I think you mean pushing Peeke to 7th D, Wotherspoon is already considered 7th D. All four forwards should no be considered regulars, they need to win jobs at camp, and this should be a competitive camp for all.

Reactions: Zillah and Gordoff

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
I think you mean pushing Peeke to 7th D, Wotherspoon is already considered 7th D. All four forwards should no be considered regulars, they need to win jobs at camp, and this should be a competitive camp for all.
Brazeau I will give you but I think you have to consider Poitras at least as the 3C, at minimum being his job to lose. No I meant Wotherspoon, I love the top 6 D and that includes Peeke. Get somebody who plays a similar style to Wotherspoon to push him for the 7th spot. They are not sitting a 2.75m cap hit unless somebody has an unbelievable camp.

Reactions: Gordoff and HustleB

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Brazeau I will give you but I think you have to consider Poitras at least as the 3C, at minimum being his job to lose. No I meant Wotherspoon, I love the top 6 D and that includes Peeke. Get somebody who plays a similar style to Wotherspoon to push him for the 7th spot. They are not sitting a 2.75m cap hit unless somebody has an unbelievable camp.
My bad, I missed read what you wrote on 7th D.

Reactions: Fenian24

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023
Losing a stiff like the totally useless Gryz and adding Zadorov was probably enough to put us over the top last year. It was unfortunate that he wasn’t added at the TDL. Better late that never. 24-25 cup win will be great.

Jvr might end up with the team again. Just a hunch. Let's see.
I hope not. I just can’t take the endless ceremonies honoring him every other game like he played for us for 20 years. Hard pass on him!

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023
I laughed because I assumed it was a joke.

I can't imagine thinking that the only thing stopping 10 Cups in a row was Mark Kastelic and Max Jones. If you were serious.... well, let's just say I disagree.
I said toughness was what prevented us from winning. Not Kastelic and Jones. Lack of toughness has plagued this team since Sweeney took over as GM. We will win this year because he was clearly forced to add the necessary toughness that 80% of this forum hates.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
It’s really such a great move by St. Louis.
Losing a stiff like the totally useless Gryz and adding Zadorov was probably enough to put us over the top last year. It was unfortunate that he wasn’t added at the TDL. Better late that never. 24-25 cup win will be great.

I hope not. I just can’t take the endless ceremonies honoring him every other game like he played for us for 20 years. Hard pass on him!
Historians will look back on the Bruins season of 23-24 as the Season of Ceremonies of James Van Riemsdyk, First of his Name.

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
Losing a stiff like the totally useless Gryz and adding Zadorov was probably enough to put us over the top last year.
Thats not a very nice thing to say. Any player who gives an organization the bulk of their prime years should always be recognized with dignity. It takes a team and he played a role with courage. Good luck Matt.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I said toughness was what prevented us from winning. Not Kastelic and Jones. Lack of toughness has plagued this team since Sweeney took over as GM. We will win this year because he was clearly forced to add the necessary toughness that 80% of this forum hates.
I doubt that anyone who became a Bruins fan hates toughness, it's literally what drew most of us to the team in the first place.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Thats not a very nice thing to say. Any player who gives an organization the bulk of their prime years should always be recognized with dignity. It takes a team and he played a role with courage. Good luck Matt.
I agree, Gryz was not a guy that was an ahole , he actually, dam good hockey player, his problem was his physical make up. Gryz was a slacker and he was not then I wouldn't care. Lets be honest you and I, would only sniff the NHL is if we buy a ticket.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Gotta love it man

"This pro athlete is useless" - posted from my couch with cheeto crumbs on my fingertips

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
It's possible that the team has missed toughness and other things too.

For 3 years after they won the Cup, they still had all of:
Chara
S. Thornton
McQuaid
Lucic
Seidenberg
Boychuk
Campbell

In some of those year they also (on top of those 5) had:
Iginla
Kevan Miller
Ference

Yet they didn't win a Cup in those years. So clearly you ascribing any shortcomings on 1 single facet of the game, is incredibly oversimplifying things.

You can like toughness and admit that there were years they didn't have good enough depth scoring, or their goaltending let them down or there were injuries, or the other team was just better.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
You can like toughness and admit that there were years they didn't have good enough depth scoring, or their goaltending let them down or there were injuries, or the other team was just better.
There were a number of issues besides being tough enough but Cassidy and Sweeney made this team much, much to soft. Sweeney apparently has figured it out. It is one part of the puzzle but a part that has been missing for too long and you need to win in the playoffs.

I think this team right now does better in the playoffs (with Swayman) but I know that Lysell and Geekie are not the answer for 2RW. They can use more scoring. I also will say that if they had any toughness, grit, balls in 2019 they had another Cup waiting for them, instead they let a much less talented team physically dominate them and St. Louis has a Cup that should have been Boston's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad