Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
There were a number of issues besides being tough enough but Cassidy and Sweeney made this team much, much to soft. Sweeney apparently has figured it out. It is one part of the puzzle but a part that has been missing for too long and you need to win in the playoffs.

I think this team right now does better in the playoffs (with Swayman) but I know that Lysell and Geekie are not the answer for 2RW. They can use more scoring. I also will say that if they had any toughness, grit, balls in 2019 they had another Cup waiting for them, instead they let a much less talented team physically dominate them and St. Louis has a Cup that should have been Boston's.
Oh you reminded me of 2019 again. Time to drink the pepto. What a missed chance.

Reactions: DoubleBack

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
No, No, No.
I'm not 100% happy with McAvoy, but I'd be 0% happy with Marner. He has done nothing in the playoffs, he's timid, and does nothing if he isn't scoring.
You and I clearly don’t agree on what “nothing” means.

1723831333501.png

Attachments

• 0B621C2F-C0BA-48AF-B59E-478936C78F19.png
    0B621C2F-C0BA-48AF-B59E-478936C78F19.png
    244.4 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: 22Brad Park

The Andrew Peeke Fan

Feb 26, 2020
Why would you have a player who has put back-to-back 20 goal season's, had 116 points the last two years, and career wise as just increased his numbers every year. Come on Andrew, I support your Andrew Peeke stand, but I cannot support this.
Primarily because I love distributing top-end O-zone puck skill throughout the lineup, and also because I think he'd be better suited to the matchups he'd ultimately end up getting; even further, when you do something like that, sometimes it'll force a team to matchup in a way that they might not find optimal. They can't just leave that guy be.

The Andrew Peeke Fan

Feb 26, 2020
I think he's a better winger
When he's deployed in the particular way he has been over the last season and a half or so, I agree. I think he'd be an exceptional 3C, I also think the coach can play a particular line more often, if the context of a game calls for it. Maybe that sort of 3rd line plays more minutes in some games than other teams' might. It happens

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023
It's possible that the team has missed toughness and other things too.

For 3 years after they won the Cup, they still had all of:
Chara
S. Thornton
McQuaid
Lucic
Seidenberg
Boychuk
Campbell

In some of those year they also (on top of those 5) had:
Iginla
Kevan Miller
Ference

Yet they didn't win a Cup in those years. So clearly you ascribing any shortcomings on 1 single facet of the game, is incredibly oversimplifying things.

You can like toughness and admit that there were years they didn't have good enough depth scoring, or their goaltending let them down or there were injuries, or the other team was just better.
Those three years after the cup were Chiarellis teams. Sweeney took over May 20, 2015 and started removing all non passive players. The result: zero cups. He will have one this year thanks to the added snarl. Book it.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Crunched numbers

118 points

Stanley Cup

No weaknesses

Let’s Go!!!!!!
2nd ary scoring ? Marchand looses another step, Lindholm the center replaces DeBrusk. Will they score more than last year, and if so signficantly ? Sure, Goaltending and D will be lights out, but concerned for scoring. To me, every year the 3rd and 4th line just seem to bring so little to the offense. Not expecting big numbers but expecting more. Hopefully you are correct, and I'm off on the 3rd & 4th lines.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
2nd ary scoring ? Marchand looses another step, Lindholm the center replaces DeBrusk. Will they score more than last year, and if so signficantly ? Sure, Goaltending and D will be lights out, but concerned for scoring. To me, every year the 3rd and 4th line just seem to bring so little to the offense. Not expecting big numbers but expecting more. Hopefully you are correct, and I'm off on the 3rd & 4th lines.
My 2 cents:

Offensively, we will be slightly worse than last year. (...and we were 13th in the League).
Goaltending, we will be worse than last year. (Korpisalo vs Ullmark? come on.....)
Defense, we will be slightly better than last year (...and we were 5th in the League).

This team is good enough to win the Atlantic Divsion. Nowhere near good enough to win the Cup, unless we gain some significant scoring depth. Any prolonged injuries to any of our top 6 wingers, and we are royally f***ed.

Sure, we'll knock the shit out of some teams, but at the end of the day its about pucks in net.

Last edited:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Curious to hear who people think the new net front guy on the PP should be?

Last year it was a combo of JDB and JVR. The year before Bertuzzi was great at it. Typically the Bruins like the NF guy to be a lefty so he can make plays on his forehand (from down low) to the bumper and Pasta for 1timers.

If they stick with a lefty the options are... Zacha, Frederic, Jones, Beecher... or they could move Marchand into the role and put someone else on the elbow.

Thoughts?

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY

Last year it was a combo of JDB and JVR. The year before Bertuzzi was great at it. Typically the Bruins like the NF guy to be a lefty so he can make plays on his forehand (from down low) to the bumper and Pasta for 1timers.

If they stick with a lefty the options are... Zacha, Frederic, Jones, Beecher... or they could move Marchand into the role and put someone else on the elbow.

Thoughts?
I vote Frederic. Big stature and he's scored some nice goals off quick passes/bounces closer to the net.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Thoughts?
Brazeau ,Zadorov, Coyle.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Primarily because I love distributing top-end O-zone puck skill throughout the lineup, and also because I think he'd be better suited to the matchups he'd ultimately end up getting; even further, when you do something like that, sometimes it'll force a team to matchup in a way that they might not find optimal. They can't just leave that guy be.
I think you are over thinking this, you are one those analytics guys not that there is anything wrong with that BUT !..............Does your analytics suggest who will be his replacement and play with Pasta.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Thoughts?
I like Coyle there.

Reactions: Blowfish

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I like Coyle there.
I really wanted him as the net front guy last year when Zacha was the bumper but, assuming Lindholm is the bumper this year, they would lose options if they use a righty there now.

A lefty can drop off the crease to Marchand's side of the net and one-touch passes to Lindholm and Pasta for one-timers. Those plays don't work if you flip to a RH shots because your bumper is also a righty. So there's no one-time option off a low pass. A righty down low also sets up Marchand to be the big threat on the back side which doesn't really work either since he's not great at one-timing the puck.

Here's an example of Washington running that play...

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010

Thoughts?
If they stick with a left hand shot I would go with Frederic but I think I would look more at Brazeau. It's where he scores most of his goals,is enormous and has good hands in tight. His skating won't be a negative playing a 10-12 foot game around the net.

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023
If they stick with a left hand shot I would go with Frederic but I think I would look more at Brazeau. It's where he scores most of his goals,is enormous and has good hands in tight. His skating won't be a negative playing a 10-12 foot game around the net.
Maybe he can be a poor man’s Dave Andreychuk?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad