News Article: Sam Reinhart on Anthony Stolarz: “has a good chance to be that goalie for that organization that they’ve needed"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

Sam Reinhart, who won a Cup last year with the Florida Panthers, believes the Leafs have someone capable of becoming a legitimate No. 1 goalie — and it’s not necessarily the one with the bigger cap hit as of 2025-26. While Joseph Woll might have the inside track to the starter’s position, Reinhart said free agent pickup Anthony Stolarz “has a good chance to be that goalie for that organization that they’ve needed.”

The 30-year-old, who signed a two-year deal with the Leafs worth $2.5 million per year, has so far been a career backup. But last year was a sort of breakout season for the second-round pick of the Philadelphia Flyers. For one, he won a championship. And he did it while posting a 2.03 goals-against average and .925 save percentage that were among the NHL's best — albeit in just 27 games.

“He was unbelievable,” Reinhart said of Stolarz during the NHL/NHLPA Player Media Tour on Monday. “One, his personality off the ice is top-notch. It’s something that anyone would want in their room … So I’m excited to see (that happen) for him as a person.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Don’t want to hype up Stolarz too much but it is conceivable that this guy has quality number one upside. Was keeping tabs on Gibson for a couple of years as a possible Leaf guy and Stolarz often looked very strong in Anaheim. Looks like he continued the good work in Florida. Just remember him with a massive frame and played with a lot of technical control and athletic explosiveness.

This video shows him in a few scramble mode scenarios:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I'm pretty high on Stolarz as well, I think he can give us 35-40 starts of positive value goaltending

To me, goaltending has never been the issue. I mean, if we can get a goalie to outperform his contract (especially in the playoffs) that would be a bonus. Otherwise, it is what it is. You can’t expect these guys to perform like a Vasi. The team upfront will have to cover for the goalie.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Nice to have someone from a divisional rival go to bat for a former teammate. The play of Stolarz as a Leaf will soon enough speak for itself.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I'm saying it is suspect two enemy combatants are talking up two Leafs signees.

If what they're saying is honest, Leafs should be thrilled and those 2 alone would make the off-season a huge win.
I mean, they're ex-teammates that won a cup together last year.

It's much more realistic that they're pumping them up because they're friends than pumping them up to troll the Leafs fanbase...

Same way William Nylander has been praising his brother. When you're close to somebody, you're more likely to be biased and possibily overrate their abilities (especially to the media).

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I mean, they're ex-teammates that won a cup together last year.

It's much more realistic that they're pumping them up because they're friends than pumping them up to troll the Leafs fanbase...

Same way William Nylander has been praising his brother. When you're close to somebody, you're more likely to be biased and possibily overrate their abilities (especially to the media).

So to paraphrase, more or less meaningless.

Reactions: Community

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
So to paraphrase, more or less meaningless.
Yep. It's not trolling the Leafs, but we should take it with a grain of salt.

Same way that if you were a reference for a recent ex-coworker on a job application and you slightly oversold their abilities, it'd likely be because they're your friend and not because you want to troll the hiring organization.

There could be some truth there, but it could just be an oversell. We'll find out soon enough!

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yep. It's not trolling the Leafs, but we should take it with a grain of salt.

Same way that if you were a reference for a recent ex-coworker on a job application and you slightly oversold their abilities, it'd likely be because they're your friend and not because you want to troll the hiring organization.

"He worked in a different domain. Always pleasant and punctual, and contributed during team meetings."

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
There is no question though, Stolarz was excellent for the Panthers last year. Lead the league in a number of goaltending categories. If he just repeats his season from last year, that would be a big positive for us.

Reinhart really just spoke the truth... Stolarz was great for the Panthers, and if he's a good dude in the room, that's good too. I don't think it's about pumping an ex-teammate in this case, because what he said is true.

How it works out for us... stay tuned.

If we can get 40 ish games out of Woll, at the quality when he's been healthy, 25-30 games out of Stolarz, which is close to what he played last year, at the quality he was... and the rest of 12-17 games out of Murray/Hildeby, I think we will be in fine shape goaltending wise.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad