Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread - Linus traded to Sens

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
so if sway gets 8 and the back up at 11 that 11 million tied up for 4 years
Maybe. Or Sway takes $7 and Korpi gets flipped at the trade deadline for a 2nd. Or Korpi gets 25% retained again and dealt for something. Who knows how this works out?

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
1M didn't have anything to do with it, but the potential of Linus adding OTT to his list on July 1 had everything to do with it, according to Friedman.
Yeah this is kind of confusing right now.

EF made it sound like Ottawa was potentially not on Ullmark's No Trade list.

Haggerty on Ottawa radio this morning said he was on the No Trade and Ullmark waived.

Garrioch is also saying Ullmark waived but I usually side with what Friedman is saying over Garrioch since Garrioch is a hack.

Guess we'll probably get the full details soon

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
:laugh: Sorry Mike.

I’m totally grasping at straws here trying to see any positive- I hate the deal. I really do.

LOL we've been forged by the heat of many bad deals. We shall overcome. If not we'll all eventually die anyway. One or the other.

Not defending this deal whatsoever - but are you saying you would rather have let Ullmark leave via UFA than get any of those pieces they got?

I quite literally said exactly that last night, yes.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Not what I said. I mean the thinking was that they would need to diversify the spending to fill other holes. Not that they spent "too much." Rather, that they would be well served to spread the money around, especially with Swayman's contract going up. A #1 center and a replacement for DeBrusk will cost a lot. At the moment, it doesn't look like they came out of the Ullmark trade with additional money to spend (considering Korpisola, Kastelic, and Swayman's raise, though you do also probably subtract Maroon's cost with Kastelic as the replacement).

Ive always thought that had to do with Swayman's raise, not what was being spent on them at the time. Either way, the Bruins are not going to roll with a cheap, untested $1m backup, as they have never done that since Sweeney's early days as @BruinDust pointed out. They had Halak as their most expensive backup at $2,75m (and I don't recall any complaints about his wages) which is a higher cap pct. hit than Korpi will be. They are still going to be at a reasonable cap hit for goaltending if they keep Korpi- the extra $500k to $1m they save versus signing a vet for the same role isn't going to make a huge difference to what the team can do.

Reactions: BruinDust

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
Not defending this deal whatsoever - but are you saying you would rather have let Ullmark leave via UFA than get any of those pieces they got?
If being saddled with Korp for 4 years as a backup even if he rebounds than yes. No reason to spend that much on a backup when you have home grown options that are significantly cheaper. Waiting out 1 year is better than 4.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Yeah people are acting like getting a 1 for a Vezina caliber goalie is some sort of great moment when a shit goalie just went for what will be a better 1...oh and plus a good young defensman...oh and not taking on one of the worst contracts in the league.
I don’t understand how anyone can feel anything but hatred for this deal. Remove Korpisalo and id be underwhelmed. Add in an awful cap dump that helps a divisional rival further and this is infuriating.
FWIW, I generally think Don Sweeney takes too much crap and his shortcomings are often overstated, and he doesn't get enough credit for what he does well.

This is the first move he's made in a long time where I just have no idea what the Bruins are thinking.
His last deadline was good. Outside of that I have little positive to say about him. Signing Ullmark was also a good move. Trading him for this package is inexcusable.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Were you the one saying Ullmark's contract killed them this playoff run?

Yes having 5 million on the bench negatively impacted their ability to ice a competitive 1-18.

Don't see the connection you are lazily trying to make here.

I'm still waiting for my check, the cheap bastard.

Your money went to Korpisalo unfortunately.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
GAH I knew someone was going to say exactly this and I was pre-mad.

If he didn't move him for anything that would be bad.

Moving him for a terrible package is also bad.

It's not "damned if you do, damned if you don't." It's damned if you do something bad.

He could have traded Ullmark for something good/at least fair! Then he wouldn't be damned!
I'll speak for myself here:

If Don had not pulled the trigger and told the media "We could not agree on an extension for the pieces involved and it unfortunately fell through" I'd be fine with that, no ill will. I don't blame Linus for not wanting to sign away the rest of his career for Ottawa. He had a right and the contract ability to determine where he wanted to go. Maybe Don will think twice next time he tosses around NTC/NMCs. I don't blame Linus for this for one millisecond. I also would not have blamed Don for nixing the deal over Linus not wanting an extension. This thread would be disappointment for a day and then back to the debate about where he could/would be moved and for what. Instead, we have this thread as it is now, and just so.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
In terms of what they did get, and again I agree it's disappointing, but they did get assets that can help.

They need good young players and should get one at 25.

We've talked about adding some 4th line pop and tossed out names like Duhaime. Kastellic works hard, hits hard and fights anyone, and he costs 50%-60% less than a UFA doing the same job.

Beecher - Kastellic - Brazeu = speed, size,

Korpisalo is a tough pill to swallow. You have to hope the Bruins see something others don't. That his numbers are a result of bad teams or a simple correction GoalieBob can fix. I could totally see a scenario where Korpisalo comes here and suddenly becomes a .920% goalie playing 30 games a year for Boston and the Bruins end up with the best goalie combo in the league again. BUT even if all those maybe's work out in our favor, Sweeney still should have gotten a pick for all the risk involved with that contract.

Last potential 'positive' if it can be called that is that I would expect there is another (smaller) shoe to fall in terms of Bussi. He won't make it through waivers so maybe there's another Vladar type deal coming where the Bruins get another pick for Bussi.
your last potential positive is not a positive at all. Maybe they plan to start Korpisalo in the AHL and hope a team claims him on his way through but not using the cheap internal option we had in place is a huge mistake.

The only saving grace for this team would be to some how turn him into an asset but even if that were the case the return as we've seen is going to be garbage anyway. They can only hope he creates value to us as an expensive back up.

a fourth line tough guy is not the asset we needed in trading a vezina goalie to a division rival

we also can't understate how much this helps the Sens and their cap issues.

There better hit a homerun with the pick

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad