Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread - Linus traded to Sens

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Biggest questions now:

What does the Swayman contract look like?

Bussi or DiPietro for a mid/late pick?

Korpisalo as part of another trade?

E.Lindholm and a top 6 wing or another LD?

We could somehow go into this offseason with 22 million in space and end up a worse team.

Reactions: RiverbottomChuck

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I just went to read about him July 23 when signed

5/20

Consensus was year to much value about 3 M from HF posters who watch: 3/9 or 4/12

Consensus is athletic goalie pretty good

Fast Forward today

Bruins get

4/12 and he stinks lol

I’m in the Ottawa team D sucked

If he stays I’m bullish on Jay Leach making the D better and FA signings reduce high danger areas
Korpy was the second worse goalie as far as starters are concerned according to Money Puck last year in goals saved above expected.

I hope we have a plan to either waive him or he gets off to a great start and some other teams need a goalie so we can flip him for something.

Kastelic is a 4th liner, that cannot skate, or find the back of the net, is a dime a dozen.
We have Beecher who I really like as a 4th line center that did a good job last year.

The first round pick is a crap shoot, but at least we can watch and follow the draft now.
If we can get one of the following I will be happy.
Cole Beaudoin - C Barrie Colts
Emil Hemming - RW Finland

Beaudoin is a freak athlete, scored great results at the combine and can play in all 3 zones. He needs work on his skating, which can be improved.

Hemming may have the best shot in the draft and looked great when playing against other players his age scoring 32 goals in 55 tournament games during his career.
He has one full year under his belt playing with men in the top Finnish league.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Long time absentee poster here, but this trade and this management are a joke.

Sweeney just got bent over by a rookie GM. Not a good look.

"We'll just keep our great tandem if we don't get what we want" - Sweeney posturing

IS THIS what we wanted? A late 1st + cap dump + 4th liner? The whole point to move Ullmark was to free up his cap hit. If the goal is to move Korpisalo; then why didn't we just make Ottawa deal with it? They don't do it unless we take a multi-season bad contract? Tell them to pound sand; Sweeney is the tenured GM here. Ullmark held the cards, Sweeney was allowed to fold at any point, but just played a bad hand anyways. Well I guess I have no choice but to take this bad contract no one wants.

Ullmark for a 1st and Kastalic, not great, but certainly could live with. Hey we'd have 5M cap space to do what we need to.

BUT Taking on Korpisalo (even retained slightly) is a downright joke. How much has Sweeney paid over the years to dump a crap contract? Feels like every other season we had to pay something to dump a contract.

In a vacuum this slightly overpaid guys aren't that bad; but when you end up with a bottom half of the roster that'd overpaid; we don't have money to invest in the top half; Sweeney's bread and butter has been actually finding guys in the bargain bin and getting them to produce. BUT completely offsets it with overpaying portions of his roster; then usually overpaying another team to take this contracts before they even end.

While everyone clamoring, "But Essensa can turn him around and make him good again!"; yes but you don't sink 3M for multiple years into something like that. How about Bussi? If Essensa is so great, why don't they trust he can turn him into something? Or at the very least grab a cost controlled vet doesn't change a single bit of their off-season strategy. All taking Korpisalo does is give them 2-3M less to work with; and while everyone's like "Well we can buy him out, or bury him, find someone to trade him"; why? Make Ottawa do that. Sweeney just stuck with his pants down again, and looks like an absolute novice when it comes to trading roster players.

Every season, Bruins fans sit here and justify a questionable move, waiting for the other shoe to drop. And then it never does. I see plenty of half-glass full people out here, but Sweeney has done this song and dance before; and while he has had relative success, falling short because of the little things year in and year out, starts the off-season with more of the same.

I used to be ok with just waiting to see what Sweeney has up his sleeves; but let's be honest, it's usually nothing or his plan C or D.

Anyways, I'm out again. Hello to all I've chatted with over the years. Hope you are all well.
Great post. Sums up my feelings. I could accept 25th + JAG. Take the 5m and make it useful. It has cost Sweeney the equivalent of the 25th overall to dump contracts on opposing teams. So essentially he traded Ullmark for a 4th line JAG. This trade blows

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Seems like the Markstrom return was better? Hm
Could be a few reasons for that, but the biggest is probably his contract has two years left to run versus one and it seems that Linus is not in the extending mood right now.

EDIT: Fast moving thread, Wally beat me to it LOL

Anyway, there is no consoling some of you, but I do hope you don't let this trade ruin your day or week.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
At the end of the day not one single person that post on this board have any clue about conversations that may or may have been had in regards to the final decision that prompted this trade.

No one.

What impact did the 1M bonus have on the deal? Would that have had or does this have any impact on anything?

Reactions: Shoebottom88

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Could be a few reasons for that, but the biggest is probably his contract has two years left to run versus one and it seems that Linus is not in the extending mood right now.
I don't know, I could swear EF said not only are the Sens on Ullmarks OKs list but an extension doesn't sound too far off.

Ace0813

Bleed Black & Gold
Aug 28, 2008
New Hampshire
At the end of the day not one single person that post on this board have any clue about conversations that may or may have been had in regards to the final decision that prompted this trade.

No one.

What impact did the 1M bonus have on the deal? Would that have had or does this have any impact on anything?
1M didn't have anything to do with it, but the potential of Linus adding OTT to his list on July 1 had everything to do with it, according to Friedman.

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

Beyonder

May 20, 2024
Finally someone agrees with me. I've been getting roasted here taking this stance.
To me the issue is, do they need to pay that much for a backup? To that backup? Given the (expensive) needs they have at other positions, I would have been inclined to go with Bussi or at least a one-year $1M type that will be available in free agency.

If Swayman gets more than a $2M raise, they will be paying more $ next season to the goalie position than they did last season, while the consensus seemed to be that they need to spread the money around on other needs. And it's hard to argue that what they're getting for more money is as good as what they got last season for less.

It must be said again that what the roster looks like today is not what it will look like in 14 days, so best not to run too hard with today's reactions. But it's something I'll be watching.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I don't know, I could swear EF said not only is Ullmark on the Sens list but an extension doesn't sound too far off.

I did hear that too, but for now it isn't happening, and I imagine Linus wants to see what things are like there for himself and his family before committing long-term. He is in the driver's seat on his career at the moment, at least as much as any player who isn't a superstar can be.

Reactions: The don godfather

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

No one.

I dislike Jacobs for many reasons.

But even I don’t believe he’d force a bad trade to save $1M.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
1M didn't have anything to do with it, but the potential of Linus adding OTT to his list on July 1 had everything to do with it, according to Friedman.
Would that have cut into the Bruins cap space if he was still here after the first?

I dislike Jacobs for many reasons.

But even I don’t believe he’d force a bad trade to save $1M.
Cap space not the paying part of it.

Jacobs are far from being cheap these days to make these decisions base on saving cash

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
not if there's a buyout, or sticking Korpi in the AHL for 1.5M cap hit
But why take on the risk? For a 25th overall?

Why shouldn’t Ottawa have had to deal with figuring out how to move his money off the books via buyout? They found a way to move him, they dumped him on Sweeney.

If he signs Heinen for 3m I’m going to need to invest in a new phone & tv

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
If they keep Korpisalo they have to wave Bussi, wow what a screwup to add to this mess

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Thinking about it more- I still hate it.

However, a thought did cross my mind. IF Sweeney kept Ullmark (we would not have known about this deal and who was involved at all), people would’ve wanted his head for not getting a trade done.

Damned if ya do, damned if ya don’t… but damn man.

GAH I knew someone was going to say exactly this and I was pre-mad.

If he didn't move him for anything that would be bad.

Moving him for a terrible package is also bad.

It's not "damned if you do, damned if you don't." It's damned if you do something bad.

He could have traded Ullmark for something good/at least fair! Then he wouldn't be damned!

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Korpy was the second worse goalie as far as starters are concerned according to Money Puck last year in goals saved above expected.

I hope we have a plan to either waive him or he gets off to a great start and some other teams need a goalie so we can flip him for something.

Kastelic is a 4th liner, that cannot skate, or find the back of the net, is a dime a dozen.
We have Beecher who I really like as a 4th line center that did a good job last year.

The first round pick is a crap shoot, but at least we can watch and follow the draft now.
If we can get one of the following I will be happy.
Cole Beaudoin - C Barrie Colts
Emil Hemming - RW Finland

Beaudoin is a freak athlete, scored great results at the combine and can play in all 3 zones. He needs work on his skating, which can be improved.

Hemming may have the best shot in the draft and looked great when playing against other players his age scoring 32 goals in 55 tournament games during his career.
He has one full year under his belt playing with men in the top Finnish league.

GSAA is a really sketchy stat. Just looking at shot location and type without an understanding of if there is structure in front of the goalie or if its chaos out there can lead to some making goalies on good defensive teams look better and goalies on bad defensive teams look worse. Its *better* that just looking at save % and GAA, but its still sketch.

Reactions: CDJ

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
1719330002328.png

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Watching Kastelic in some of his fights reminds me of Greer, he is game but the results are not always good.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Free agency and the draft hasn’t even started yet and we’re already doomed according to the majority of the board People really aren’t happy unless they are complaining.

I’ll wait and see what happens before the preseason. Until then I’ll just enjoy the nice summer weather

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
GAH I knew someone was going to say exactly this and I was pre-mad.

If he didn't move him for anything that would be bad.

Moving him for a terrible package is also bad.

It's not "damned if you do, damned if you don't." It's damned if you do something bad.

He could have traded Ullmark for something good/at least fair! Then he wouldn't be damned!

Totally, but if the market was nothing because Ullmark didn't want to re-sign without checking the vibes first (which is understandable from his POV)... I mean... what are you gonna do? I hate the return, but it's not like Sweeney is a dumb dumb. Doing this bad deal was better than doing nothing.

Well, if they can indeed fix or move Korpisalo, and they wouldn't have made the trade without thinking they could do one of those things.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If Swayman gets more than a $2M raise, they will be paying more $ next season to the goalie position than they did last season, while the consensus seemed to be that they need to spread the money around on other needs. And it's hard to argue that what they're getting for more money is as good as what they got last season for less.

What consensus that they spent too much on goalies last year? I don't remember hearing anyone say that at all. The concern was always what Sway's deal looked like with a $5m Linus. Last season they spent under $10m on goaltending, which is not out of norm in the league with teams who have a top-tier starter (and some that don't but pay for one lol). At worst, they come in just over that this season with a cap increase, and a cap that looks to be on the rise for the next few years as well.

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
Any gm, never mind a rookie GM trying to make a name, taking Ullmark is taking a huge risk. You have to commit to $7? Million over 5? Years probably. And then you have to send assets the other way just to take that chance. Yes, a vezina winner. Who followed that up with a less than stellar playoff series and lost his #1 tag the following season Staios & Sweeney know each other well, I’m pretty sure this was the best Sweeney could get. Bottom line is, goalie are an unpredictable commodity. I can think of many goalies who were traded for, given huge contracts, and proceeded to underwhelm biggly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad