Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread - Linus traded to Sens

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Florida had no need for a 2nd goalie

Edmonton got to game 7 with a mid Stu Skinner making 2.6

Dallas had no need for a 2nd goalie

NYR had no need for a 2nd goalie

I just hate taking on the 3x4 for Korpisalo. I don't think Don had to make this trade last night and accept that part of the deal.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
Ottawa fans have to be pumped.

You can manage, finagle, and do Mr. Stretchy on this deal from Boston’s perspective and at best come up with an ugly ugly shade of lipstick on a pig.

From Ottawa’s perspective? This is a slam dunk win. Superb trade for them.
Usually you don’t get the best player while unloading a terrible contract for nothing. Donnie definitely mucked up any cap freedom they were due to get. Completely unacceptable from all angles.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
I'm the Don the godfather. Gives you a hint. Big fan here. This was a good move now let's focus on that draft. Exciting times. I'm looking at all the names that luchanko kid looks very interesting .
Good move my f***ing ass. With all due respect your takes really are clueless sometimes. No way you can put a positive spin on taking on Korpisalo.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Respectively disagree, I like the draft pick and Kastelic, hate how Sweeney pissed away valuable cap space in taking back no glove Korpisalo.
I just went to read about him July 23 when signed

5/20

Consensus was year to much value about 3 M from HF posters who watch: 3/9 or 4/12

Consensus is athletic goalie pretty good

Fast Forward today

Bruins get

4/12 and he stinks lol

I’m in the Ottawa team D sucked

If he stays I’m bullish on Jay Leach making the D better and FA signings reduce high danger areas

Reactions: CDJ

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Calling Kastelic a "perfect 4th liner" is a take. He's big, decent at faceoffs, and willing to get punched in the head. Which are all admirable qualities, but he's JAG.

He immediately becomes our toughest guy and will step in to defend teammates against the toughest guys in the sport unlike our 2nd toughest guy Trent Frederick who only fights when he feels that he has been personally wronged. He may not fare well against the top heavyweights but at least he shows up. He is also a decent skater, hits like a truck, wins FO's and is responsible defensively, I like this player. A 4th line of Kastelic, Beecher and Lauko should be fun to watch.

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
I don’t think you understand what the point being made is.

If you do, send me $5k US I’ll send you a $50 scratch off. It’s a good deal since people have won millions off of those before.

You’ll be up so much money

Proof is literally on this page
Where did you see someone say the pick was going to turn into a difference making player lol?

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I doesn’t have depth but first 40 everyone I read & listen to says strong

They are at 25 so I’ve got 5-10 guys I want there and me, Eric, and Lou already all over

I’m jacked for it
Forget where I read it but I remember hearing that after the top 10-12 there's 20-25 guys who could go in any order.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I wonder if the plan with Korpisalo is to have him compete with Bussi in camp. If Bussi wins the job, Korpisalo is waived and if (when) unclaimed goes to Prov for the year and we buyout next summer instead of this one.

I seem to be in the minority but I don't think this is a bad trade. We were always going to be getting a vet to go up against Bussi for the #2 job, Korp just isn't the one anyone wanted. We still added a first + added some serious toughness which is always at the top of this board's wishlist.

It's a bummer the trade wasn't an absolute home run getting us a top 10 pick or Chychryn + the 25th but those returns were always a pipe dream. Ottawa knew they were likely the only landing spot for Ullmark and used that in the negotiation. Sweeney really wanted a first, either to trade or to add a prospect, and was willing to take a gamble on Korpisalo to get it.

This is better than letting the player walk for nothing, which is what we normally do with our UFAs. I van't remember the last time we actually sold a guy on an expiring deal.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I think people are putting way too much stock into his performance playing for a crappy OTT team. No one seems to want to look at the season before where he posted a 2.87 GAA / .914 SV% and the 11th best goals saved above expected while splitting time between CBJ and LAK.

If Korpisalo can come in and put up around a 2.50 GAA / .915 SV% then guess what....he'll be what Ullmark was this year. Ullmark posted a 2.57 GAA / .915 SV% this past season. If you look at Ullmark's first season he posted a 2.45 GAA / .917 SV% for the Bruins. Between those two seasons was a one of the best season we've ever seen in NHL history and Ullmark posted the 3rd highest SV% in NHL history among goalies with at least 40gp.

And IF that happens, that will be good. Perhaps it will. But we also have to be fair and consider that perhaps it won’t.

However, what is real and cannot be massaged into a different reality, is a not insignificant Cap Hit for FOUR more years. I hope they’re is a plan, because taking on $3M per for four years for a gamble like that is questionable. Better off keeping Linus for the year, and trying again at TDL.

Reactions: RiverbottomChuck

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He immediately becomes our toughest guy and will step in to defend teammates against the toughest guys in the sport unlike our 2nd toughest guy Trent Frederick who only fights when he feels that he has been personally wronged. He may not fare well against the top heavyweights but at least he shows up. He is also a decent skater, hits like a truck, wins FO's and is responsible defensively, I like this player. A 4th line of Kastelic, Beecher and Lauko should be fun to watch.
Revisionist history on Frederic, you’re just mad he doesn’t jump guys. He one punched the guy who hit Bergeron up high, he’s stuck up for teammates in the past

He should not be our designated tough guy though and I’m glad we acquired Kastelic to take on the dirty work

Reactions: BBruins

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I appreciate what you are trying to do here, really I do. But even without the rumor hype, this is a poor deal for Boston. The entire goal for moving Ullmark in the first place was cap room to be used at 1c or to replace DeBrusk and get back into the first round. What we got was moving our best goaltender since Rask to a division rival for a playoff spot next season for 2 million in cap room, a boat anchor, and a 4th liner. Keeping Linus until the TDL and trying again OR at worst as an own rental next year would have pissed off the fans less and guaranteed a better record.

As of right now, is Boston a better team after this trade than before? No, they are not.
Is Ottawa? Yes, they are.

A lot of water has flowed through this thread since this, and others have said how I feel about it probably better than I can. I see the typical overreacting, mostly by those who were really hoping for a better return, but some defending it to the hilt. I lean toward thinking it isn't terrible, but yeah, not what I was hoping would happen. There may be more to come, and I hope there is, but if we end up with Korpi as Sway's backup at $3m, then that is fine. I don't think he's as terrible as some here have it. Then we got a 1st rounder back, and $2m in cap space, and Kastelic, whose short money was going to be used on someone like him anyway, and he has some potential to be a good player for us.

Linus held a lot of the cards, and if Sweeney had not moved him because he didn't like the deals on offer, the same people who are over the top raging about this would have been out of their minds that the Bruins were at ~$13m cap hit for goaltending: there went our money for a top 6 foward of some type.

Play with CapFriendly while you still can, and you'll see that the Bruins can add Lindholm or some other center, and a wing if JDB walks, and have enough left for a 3rd pair D man. Or any combination of those things. It just doesn't seem as tragically terrible as the vibe in here is leaning towards.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Forget where I read it but I remember hearing that after the top 10-12 there's 20-25 guys who could go in any order.
It’s 13 consensus top guys but then I see 2 or 3 players supposedly in there going 15-25

Me and Lou separately came to same guy lol

Reactions: CDJ

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
This trade is going to make reading this board so much more difficult. Not that I disagree with the negative takes. It’s just that they are so deflating. I just have no motivation to read on. I see this one having a lifespan that is short of 2015 but longer then Backes, Beleskey or the Ritchie brothers.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
And IF that happens, that will be good. Perhaps it will. But we also have to be fair and consider that perhaps it won’t.

However, what is real and cannot be massaged into a different reality, is a not insignificant Cap Hit for FOUR more years. I hope they’re is a plan, because taking on $3M per for four years for a gamble like that is questionable. Better off keeping Linus for the year, and trying again at TDL.
This is where I’m at. Korp doesn’t seem to fit in with the goalie plans they have been building towards for 3-4 seasons now. The plans have been going better than perfect in terms of Ullmark and Sway being fantastic and Bussi and Dipietro looking good. What changed that they felt the need to bring in the worst goalie in the league last year signed for multiple seasons?

Reactions: Number8

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
L
July 2021 doesn't make you feel better?

That day we signed:

Mike Reilly (bought out)
Nick Foligno (put us over cap for 4.5mil penalty)
Derek Forbort (playoff stud)
Linus Ullmark (traded for Korpisalo)

#Sweenius
135 point season at least cancels out one of these mistakes (probably Forbort?)

Reactions: Tbaybruin

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
I just went to read about him July 23 when signed

5/20

Consensus was year to much value about 3 M from HF posters who watch: 3/9 or 4/12

Consensus is athletic goalie pretty good

Fast Forward today

Bruins get

4/12 and he stinks lol

I’m in the Ottawa team D sucked

If he stays I’m bullish on Jay Leach making the D better and FA signings reduce high danger areas

I don't care if he actually plays really well in Boston ( doubtful), the backup goalie needed to be someone cheap, that would have given Sweeney an extra 2 million to spend on roster construction. Zero reason to spend 3 mil a year on a backup when GC Essensa turned guys like Chad Johnson, AK, Svedberg into very capable backups at a much more affordable cost.

Reactions: trenton1

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
I laugh at myself for thinking that Donny Overpay would ever actually use the cap space in a meaningful way. Why bring in a guy like Scott Wedgewood for $1 million for a year or two in this supposed 'goalie haven' as a backup (or even Bussi, who you've been grooming for the job for a few years) when you can just trade for a guy thats signed for FOUR MORE YEARS at $3 million that nobody wants?

It's moves like this that will keep this team always on the cusp and never getting over. Sure, they'll be great defensively and have all world goaltending, but when they constantly blow opportunities to improve this team in the spots they need to, Donny Deep Pockets will just throw his extra monopoly money on a position he doesn't need to. Would sure be nice to have an extra two million bucks come free agency, when you're deciding between adding a potential impact forward like Toffoli/Marchessault/Bertuzzi/Teravainen on a short term and instead only have the money to pay for Dakota Joshua and Mike Amadio. Moves like this automatically put them out of the range of guys that can actually be difference makers. Sure am glad that I just watched Jeremy Swayman backstop this team to an amazing two round performance and then watch the GM waste $3 million for the next 4 years on a backup. :facepalm:

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Maybe Korpisalo is being used to drive down the Swayman tag just a little. ("Well, we have an NHL goalie who once made 85 saves in a game" LOL). Sweeney can't resist.

I do think there may be a deal to be had with Philly involving Korpisalo. For whatever reason, I feel like Philly would consider it since they are doing a lot of shopping of veteran contracts and Hart is likely out of the picture for good.

Reactions: SPV

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I honestly dont get the hate for the Ullmark trade. He had to go, the cap space is too valuable for a team with fatal holes in the lineup. Getting a 1st back for a rental goalie is good value. And if they need more space, Korpisalo is easy to move with or without double retention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad