Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread - Linus traded to Sens

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Ullmark was going to be the backup this season. Not a bad return for a backup.

Besides, after they tried to trade him to LA and he squashed it, it wasn't feasible to bring him back.
Valuing Ullmark as a backup is an extremely impressive effort at making a justification argument.

I have an Aston Martin that is the talk of the city. Let’s say “last years’ best car in the territory”. Kind of like a recent Vezina winning NHL goalie if you think about it.

Anyway, I suddenly realize a car I picked up a the end of an auction a few years back is actually a McLaren and is now my new favorite car.

Does that justify me selling off my Aston Martin for pennies on the dollar? After all, it’s my backup car.

Come on man.

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
What changed that they felt the need to bring in the worst goalie in the league last year signed for multiple seasons?

I don't think that anything changed. Dorion simply demanded that Korpisalo must go the other way in the deal and Sweeney caved.

Weird situation all around. Their best bet now is to either buy him out or cap dump to a third team. We know that Sweeney loves to spend his 2nd and 3rd round picks on those just about every other year.

Reactions: RiverbottomChuck

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't care if he actually plays really well in Boston ( doubtful), the backup goalie needed to be someone cheap, that would have given Sweeney an extra 2 million to spend on roster construction. Zero reason to spend 3 mil a year on a backup when GC Essensa turned guys like Chad Johnson, AK, Svedberg into very capable backups at a much more affordable cost.

Svedberg was never a capable trusted back-up. Julien would never play him. Gustavsson wasn't trusted by the coaching staff either.

Ever since those near-misses in 2015 and 2016 this front office placed valued on back-up goaltending.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Valuing Ullmark as a backup is an extremely impressive effort at making a justification argument.

I have an Aston Martin that is the talk of the city. Let’s say “last years’ best car in the territory”. Kind of like a recent Vezina winning NHL goalie if you think about it.

Anyway, I suddenly realize a car I picked up a the end of an auction a few years back is actually a McLaren and is now my new favorite car.

Does that justify me selling off my Aston Martin for pennies on the dollar? After all, it’s my backup car.

Come on man.

You make some really bad analogies.

Reactions: BBruins

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
B
I don't think that anything changed. Dorion simply demanded that Korpisalo must go the other way in the deal and Sweeney caved.

Weird situation all around. Their best bet now is to either buy him out or cap dump to a third team. We know that Sweeney loves to spend his 2nd and 3rd round picks on those just about every other year.
not sure why anyone is listening to Dorion since he’s not with the Senators any more but I guess Sweeney was intimidated by their former GM?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
not that long ago, a first for almost any goalie was gonna be a decent deal.

Let's see if thats where we actually wind up....

We just traded away the second best goalie on our team, who is 31 in a few weeks....
People acting like we just traded Sway to Toronto.

I have zero grievances about trading Ullmark away.

Hell I would have preferred the 1st + kestalic move on its own.

It’s taking on Korpisalos contract is the issue. 4 years at $3m for a guy ottawa had been failing to find a home for. Now he’s our problem and we didn’t get an everyday player or much cap relief in the deal.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Long time absentee poster here, but this trade and this management are a joke.

Sweeney just got bent over by a rookie GM. Not a good look.

"We'll just keep our great tandem if we don't get what we want" - Sweeney posturing

IS THIS what we wanted? A late 1st + cap dump + 4th liner? The whole point to move Ullmark was to free up his cap hit. If the goal is to move Korpisalo; then why didn't we just make Ottawa deal with it? They don't do it unless we take a multi-season bad contract? Tell them to pound sand; Sweeney is the tenured GM here. Ullmark held the cards, Sweeney was allowed to fold at any point, but just played a bad hand anyways. Well I guess I have no choice but to take this bad contract no one wants.

Ullmark for a 1st and Kastalic, not great, but certainly could live with. Hey we'd have 5M cap space to do what we need to.

BUT Taking on Korpisalo (even retained slightly) is a downright joke. How much has Sweeney paid over the years to dump a crap contract? Feels like every other season we had to pay something to dump a contract.

In a vacuum this slightly overpaid guys aren't that bad; but when you end up with a bottom half of the roster that'd overpaid; we don't have money to invest in the top half; Sweeney's bread and butter has been actually finding guys in the bargain bin and getting them to produce. BUT completely offsets it with overpaying portions of his roster; then usually overpaying another team to take this contracts before they even end.

While everyone clamoring, "But Essensa can turn him around and make him good again!"; yes but you don't sink 3M for multiple years into something like that. How about Bussi? If Essensa is so great, why don't they trust he can turn him into something? Or at the very least grab a cost controlled vet doesn't change a single bit of their off-season strategy. All taking Korpisalo does is give them 2-3M less to work with; and while everyone's like "Well we can buy him out, or bury him, find someone to trade him"; why? Make Ottawa do that. Sweeney just stuck with his pants down again, and looks like an absolute novice when it comes to trading roster players.

Every season, Bruins fans sit here and justify a questionable move, waiting for the other shoe to drop. And then it never does. I see plenty of half-glass full people out here, but Sweeney has done this song and dance before; and while he has had relative success, falling short because of the little things year in and year out, starts the off-season with more of the same.

I used to be ok with just waiting to see what Sweeney has up his sleeves; but let's be honest, it's usually nothing or his plan C or D.

Anyways, I'm out again. Hello to all I've chatted with over the years. Hope you are all well.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
People acting like Korpi is definitely ours at 3M for definitely 4 years, are probably a little detached from reality right now.

Let's see what cap space it cost us. This trade isn't even 24h old yet.
There's another team out there that wants to take on Korpisalo? Is Chiarelli a GM somewhere?

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I have zero grievances about trading Ullmark away.

Hell I would have preferred the 1st + kestalic move on its own.

It’s taking on Korpisalos contract is the issue. 4 years at $3m for a guy ottawa had been failing to find a home for. Now he’s our problem and we didn’t get an everyday player or much cap relief in the deal.
this is where I'm at. They need all the cap space they can get, to land a legitimate high end player.

Reactions: Bodit9 and trenton1

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
People acting like Korpi is definitely ours at 3M for definitely 4 years, are probably a little detached from reality right now.

Let's see what cap space it cost us. This trade isn't even 24h old yet.
I mean if Korp was so wanted right now they would have already flipped him. I just don’t see much of a market for a bad number 1 goalie or expensive backup.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Svedberg was never a capable trusted back-up. Julien would never play him. Gustavsson wasn't trusted by the coaching staff either.

Ever since those near-misses in 2015 and 2016 this front office placed valued on back-up goaltending.

Yep- this is right on. Since then it's been good with Dobby 2.0, Halak, Swayman, Ullmark, now, apparently ,Korpi. Korpi we don't know about yet, except that he's been at least good enough to be a starter choice for other teams which should make for a solid backup. Or he gets flipped and the Bruins feel good enough about Bussi for him to get the job.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Bussi has been good in Providence, maybe under goalie Bob and with this defense he could be legit backup for a fraction of the price -since Swayman is going to get a big raise..

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
If Korpisalo isn't moved I am positive that he will have a solid year. He will benefit from the Bruins team defense and of course Bob Essensa.
this is where im at - let him cook under goalie bob for a year and net us a 3rd next offseason.

no one is gonna be happy after the next 3 months - either we spend to the cap or dont. And maybe they'll get the players you want or they won't, the one thing im sure of it is that everyone will cry about sweeney and boston will be the #1 or #2 seed again....which somehow wont be good enough for half the posters in here.

KOZ37

May 17, 2010

Come on man.
How many miles? What color is it? Is the CarFax clean? 😋

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010

Those goalies always looked shaky as you know what, but they got the job done and they were cheap. Korpisalo didn't come anywhere close to getting the job done last year and is anything but cheap for a backup.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Every season, Bruins fans sit here and justify a questionable move, waiting for the other shoe to drop. And then it never does. I see plenty of half-glass full people out here, but Sweeney has done this song and dance before; and while he has had relative success, falling short because of the little things year in and year out, starts the off-season with more of the same.

Hey buddy, hope you are doing well, and good to see you posting. But we should add here that every season, fans sit here and shit on everything Don does expecting the worst. There are plenty of threads to look at that show the Sweeney hate is just as silly as the bend over backwards to praise him stuff.

Reactions: Sevendust
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad