Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread - Linus traded to Sens

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
don`t have a massive issue with this deal

Get a backup to Sway who will be playing behind a team which should offer him quality shelter especially with Leach coming back to coach the D and/or he becomes part of a package prior to the deadline?

Snag a late 1st that maybe they flip

4th liner with size, solid on the dot, physicality

Save 2 mill

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Really hope it was phase 1 of a multiphase trade plan.
Is he going to go all out to get Jeff Skinner before Buffalo does something rash and buys him out?
god forbid Swayman get hurt...........................
This is exactly like saying, "God forbid McAvoy gets hurt; let's get Gudbranson to cover that."
30% of this board hated when Sweenius gave Linus 5M a few years back. The posts are still there. Let's see how they evaluated Korpi...
Wasn't that when Tuukka was still in the plans, possibly coming back around Christmas, which would leave them with 3 goalies?
It's strange. When the Bruins have bad players on bad contracts they pay through the nose to get rid of them. When they have good players on fair contracts they get pennies or have to take on trash to make a deal.
The Spooner trade is exhibit A. Throw fast but kinda shitty player about to get more money than he's worth into a trade for salary ballast, team you trade him to pumps up his value in a month and a half, then they trade him for Strome - a decent center, which the Bruins were totally never going to need with all the greybeards.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Biggest questions now:

What does the Swayman contract look like?

Bussi or DiPietro for a mid/late pick?

Korpisalo as part of another trade?

E.Lindholm and a top 6 wing or another LD?

We could somehow go into this offseason with 22 million in space and end up a worse team.

You should also add we could somehow be better because no one knows. People on this board, myself included, are shitty prophets. If we were in Old Testament Israel, we ALL would have been stoned to death by now for our failed predictions :laugh:

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Totally, but if the market was nothing because Ullmark didn't want to re-sign without checking the vibes first (which is understandable from his POV)... I mean... what are you gonna do? I hate the return, but it's not like Sweeney is a dumb dumb. Doing this bad deal was better than doing nothing.

Well, if they can indeed fix or move Korpisalo, and they wouldn't have made the trade without thinking they could do one of those things.
Move him for a 2025 2nd or 3rd? At least you gain the 5m in cap space. What you absolutely DON’T do is take on a cap dump for 4 more years. If Sweeney were to shop Korpisalo today it would cost him at minimum the 25th overall to jettison him.

No matter how many ways this is being spun, the logic behind it makes no sense. & no it’s not ruining summers but it’s an a crap way to kick off what was supposed to be a fun bruins offseason. I’m now nervous about what Sweeney will do this summer. Heinen is the next shoe to drop. How much will he sign him for? I like the player but not at 3m

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
If Korpisalo isn't moved I am positive that he will have a solid year. He will benefit from the Bruins team defense and of course Bob Essensa.
So, here's my concern...

2022-23 Boston Bruins
xGF: 178.14
xGA: 156.34
xGF%: 53.26%
GF: 199
GA: 114
GF%: 63.6%

2023-24 Boston Bruins
xGF: 166.65
xGA: 166.65
xGF%: 50%
GF: 174
GA: 135
GF%: 56.3%

For two seasons now, the Bruins have outperformed their expected goal numbers. A lot of that is skill - guys like Pastrnak help you score more goals than you're expected to, and guys like Swayman and Ullmark make sure that other teams don't score as much as they're expected to.

This current Bruins team is very average defensively. In 2022-23, they were 3rd in the league in xGA -- this past season they dropped to 14th. And they've now gone out and replaced a guy who regularly rates as an above-average shot-stopper with one that regularly rates as a (far?) below average shot-stopper.

If Korpisalo rebounds to the point where he's an average goalie instead of below average, you're probably still looking at an extra 10-15 goals allowed per season vs. Linus Ullmark. On a goal differential basis, that'll put you in fringe playoff team territory. They're going to have to make that up offensively, and I'm not sure it'll be that easy when you factor in losing DeBrusk's 20 goals.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
But why take on the risk? For a 25th overall?

Why shouldn’t Ottawa have had to deal with figuring out how to move his money off the books via buyout? They found a way to move him, they dumped him on Sweeney.

If he signs Heinen for 3m I’m going to need to invest in a new phone & tv

This is the part I don’t understand. Bruins took on all the risk in this situation.

They didn’t get an everyday player or cap relief. Instead they got the 25th pick which is a coin toss for a 100 games played player, a fringe 4th liner and a reclamation project goalie with 4 years term.

Last edited:

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
GAH I knew someone was going to say exactly this and I was pre-mad.

If he didn't move him for anything that would be bad.

Moving him for a terrible package is also bad.

It's not "damned if you do, damned if you don't." It's damned if you do something bad.

He could have traded Ullmark for something good/at least fair! Then he wouldn't be damned!
:laugh: Sorry Mike.

I’m totally grasping at straws here trying to see any positive- I hate the deal. I really do.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
7th overall, pinto, Chychrun & Greig for Ullmark. I think most of us got a little carried away. Realistically, who out of the few teams not on his list was going to give more for a goalie that lost his starting job and has lots of questions marks in the playoffs? Guy played great in the regular season in Boston’s system. Would you give up more to take that chance that it will translate to your system while committing to what’s likely a long term $7 million per contract even if he decides to stay? Especially after your last long term goalie contract blew up in your face. Staios would be a fool to give more under these circumstances lol Sweeney did ok, 1st rd pick, perfect 4th liner he was looking for anyway, backup goalie who might be traded at the trade deadline after rehabbing his numbers, and cap space. Win win situation imo.
Well a voice of reason. Great post

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
He immediately becomes our toughest guy and will step in to defend teammates against the toughest guys in the sport unlike our 2nd toughest guy Trent Frederick who only fights when he feels that he has been personally wronged. He may not fare well against the top heavyweights but at least he shows up. He is also a decent skater, hits like a truck, wins FO's and is responsible defensively, I like this player. A 4th line of Kastelic, Beecher and Lauko should be fun to watch.
There has to be a replacement for lauko, go sign Lamborg from the panthers

Beyonder

May 20, 2024
What consensus that they spent too much on goalies last year? I don't remember hearing anyone say that at all. The concern was always what Sway's deal looked like with a $5m Linus. Last season they spent under $10m on goaltending, which is not out of norm in the league with teams who have a top-tier starter (and some that don't but pay for one lol). At worst, they come in just over that this season with a cap increase, and a cap that looks to be on the rise for the next few years as well.
Not what I said. I mean the thinking was that they would need to diversify the spending to fill other holes. Not that they spent "too much." Rather, that they would be well served to spread the money around, especially with Swayman's contract going up. A #1 center and a replacement for DeBrusk will cost a lot. At the moment, it doesn't look like they came out of the Ullmark trade with additional money to spend (considering Korpisola, Kastelic, and Swayman's raise, though you do also probably subtract Maroon's cost with Kastelic as the replacement).

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
don`t have a massive issue with this deal

Get a backup to Sway who will be playing behind a team which should offer him quality shelter especially with Leach coming back to coach the D and/or he becomes part of a package prior to the deadline?

Snag a late 1st that maybe they flip

4th liner with size, solid on the dot, physicality

Save 2 mill
Sweeney was probably thinking about a vet backup anyway, probably not a $3 million backup, but for a 1st rounder & a 4th liner he was also looking for, might as well take on an extra $1.5-2 million for this season.

Reactions: ODAAT

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Biggest questions now:

What does the Swayman contract look like?

Bussi or DiPietro for a mid/late pick?

Korpisalo as part of another trade?

E.Lindholm and a top 6 wing or another LD?

We could somehow go into this offseason with 22 million in space and end up a worse team.
I think Swayze signs for 6-7 M a year?
That would place him in the top 6 goalie salaries.

If I was Bussi / DiPietro I am not a happy camper, shows the Bruins have no faith in one of them playing on the team next year.

I hope Korpisalo is being moved to another team, maybe Detroit or Colorado for 10 cents on the dollar?

I think we get outbid by someone like Chicago or Utah for EL and settle for Stephenson or Monahan.

We should improve next year, Posty is a year older and can hopefully play a full season, Lohrei will play 82 games which improves our dee.
If we can add to the offense and get some scoring wingers and a decent center, we will be fine.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
You say Ullmark was a Vezina winning goalie and they should have got more (despite all the obstacles). But you also say they should have traded him last year, when he was coming off the Vezina winning season. Talk about Monday morning quarterbacking. Didn't know Swayman was the answer for sure then either.
No Monday morning QB here at all, im sure you can look back and see many post by not only me but others thinking then was the time to trade Ullmark. Ive been a fan of Swayman since his Maine days and it didn't take a rocket scientist, let alone a shrewd GM to see he was a number one in waiting after last season. not to mention the contract issues, Sweeney did a very poor job of damage control and getting the best return for Ullmarks value.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
If Korpisalo isn't moved I am positive that he will have a solid year. He will benefit from the Bruins team defense and of course Bob Essensa.
He better because not sure Swayman can play 60 games then a playoff run

Reactions: Tbaybruin

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I think there's more people who like this deal for the Bruins who are non Bruins fans, which is a surprise to me since I think it's like an 90/10 split here for it not being good for our team.

I don't like the deal currently but it could work out if Korp can rebound as a decent backup, Kast becomes a fan favorite and the 25th OA is a good prospect.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Florida had no need for a 2nd goalie

Edmonton got to game 7 with a mid Stu Skinner making 2.6

Dallas had no need for a 2nd goalie

NYR had no need for a 2nd goalie

I just hate taking on the 3x4 for Korpisalo. I don't think Don had to make this trade last night and accept that part of the deal.
Florida needed two goalies last year or they wouldn’t have made the playoffs and might not have won the cup this year because of that.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
The more I think about it the worse it gets. As time goes on the more it seems like the players constantly bail out a management team that while has some strengths in drafting recently and signing some home grown players to good contracts ,overall has no real clue or plan on what to do in terms of getting this core to become a cup contender with a real identity.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Totally, but if the market was nothing because Ullmark didn't want to re-sign without checking the vibes first (which is understandable from his POV)... I mean... what are you gonna do? I hate the return, but it's not like Sweeney is a dumb dumb. Doing this bad deal was better than doing nothing.

No, doing something bad is worse than doing nothing at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad