Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread - Linus traded to Sens

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm curious about the Bussi situation. They just signed him, and then they grabbed a #2 goalie. Everyone here seems to think Bussi won't clear waivers, but maybe once training camp winds down it won't be difficult to do?

I also like the idea PM said - maybe Bussi is a more valuable asset with his contract, and they ship him at the draft for a decent 2nd round pick?

They have 3.5 months before nhl cutdowns. I honestly have no idea what they think of Bussi, or whether he will clear waivers. I think there are reasons to think he wouldn't clear waivers. But he is a 26 year old goalie with no NHL experience. yes he has been very good at the AHL level, but he did just sign a 2 way contract. And is a UFA at the end f the year. If he were to play 30 good games at the NHL level, he could jump substantially in price at the end of the year (whether here or somewhere else).

It is possible he gets moved at the draft. It is possible Korpisalo gets moved, and it is possible all 3 are still with the Organization on Halloween.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
So Bussi if he is up in Boston for training camp and preseason games can’t be sent down without clearing waivers?
Someone please correct me, but I believe Bussi is no longer waiver exempt. He either makes the NHL team or has the potential of getting claimed off waivers if the Bruins waive him to send him to the AHL.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Only if we hold onto it. FWIW, Pasta was drafted 25th in a weaker draft.
25th OA picks since 2010 (feel free to use some other time frame)

2010 - C-Quinton Howden - 97gp 17pts
2011 - D-Stuart Percy - 12gp 3pts
2012 - D-Jordan Schmaltz - 42gp 5pts
2013 - R-Michael Mccarron - 228gp 48pts
2014 - Pasta!
2015 - C-Jack Roslovic - 445gp 221pts
2016 - L - Riley Tufte - 18gp 3 pts
2017 - C - Ryan Poehling - 215gp 64pts
2018 - L - Dominik Bokk - 0gp 0 pts
2019 - C - Connor McMichael 155gp 51pts
2020 - D - Justin Barron - 94gp 30pts
2021 - D - Corson Ceulemans - 0gp 0pts
2022 - D - Sam Rinzel 0/0
2023 - C - Otto Stenberg 0/0

i'm not going to bank on that pick amounting to much

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Getting a 1st and kastelic with a retained korpi for a guy who probably leaves after a year in Ottawa. I'm doing handstands gonzo. Donny is the man.

Whatever you’re doing, Staios is doing tenfold after pulling one over on Donny.

Staios dumped a contract he didn’t want, a 1st he didn’t need (that he would have had to use to dump korpisalo anyway), and a 4th liner.

He got a vezina winner who may re-sign, he may flip with retainment at the deadline for more assets than he gave up, or walks next offseason.

Worst case Ullmark walks and Staios still got a year of really good goaltending all for the price of dumping an anchor contract.

If Donny is doing handstands, I don’t want to know what Steve is doing. Probably the Thornton 4 goal celebration

JHockey14

Mar 7, 2008
CT
I cannot get over anyone trying to defend this.

We ALL want Korpisalo do well if he is a Bruin.

But that does not change the fact that this will always be a horrible trade that the Bruins epically lost. It's all about asset management.

The bruins had an asset. a Vezina winning asset.
They traded that for a negative asset in Korpisalo which should have been packaged with a late first to shed the contract and a fourth liner. Is that smart business? Is that how you build a team?

So separate if Korpisalo finds his game, if he turns into a Vezina candidate, if he gets a shutout. We're all pulling for the Bruins to succeed. Doesn't change the fact they should have gotten more (or in this case less is more. There would have been a lot less outrage if it was just 25OA and Kastelic, further highlighting the negative value in Korpisalo and the disparity in value with this trade)

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
someone come forward with dirt on sweeney so he’s forced to resign. 10 years with these results is far too long and nothings going to change for the old boys club.

Reactions: Mad Dr Pepper

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Sweeney didn’t want to have to cancel the draft day party that he ensured both to management and the fanbase.

Ullmark not signing long term almost threw a wrench in it and he got nervous and pulled the trigger to keep the first for the draft day party.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
The whole Ullmark thing "Ottawa or bust" is nonsense if he isn't signing an extension. If he is betting on himself New Jersey or Colordao or LA would have been so much better for him to showcase his talents. I find it hard to believe he wouldn't go to these places but hey, let’s go to the team picking 7ov, they are cup contenders, I should be able to maximize my future earnings there. Just more pro management spin garbage. Wouldn't be shocked to see an extension soon, to make this return look even worse
Agree completely. If he waived for a “prove it year” why the hell not waive for a “prove it year” somewhere where he can actually win in that prove it year?

If Sweeney doesn’t have a gentleman’s agreement with Ottawa in the case of Ullmark signing with SENS before he hits UFA……… well, I just don’t know what to say. My head will explode.

capecodder

Jan 16, 2020
this just keeps getting better and better lmao. At least we got a pretty good fourth liner

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
They have 3.5 months before nhl cutdowns. I honestly have no idea what they think of Bussi, or whether he will clear waivers. I think there are reasons to think he wouldn't clear waivers. But he is a 26 year old goalie with no NHL experience. yes he has been very good at the AHL level, but he did just sign a 2 way contract. And is a UFA at the end f the year. If he were to play 30 good games at the NHL level, he could jump substantially in price at the end of the year (whether here or somewhere else).

It is possible he gets moved at the draft. It is possible Korpisalo gets moved, and it is possible all 3 are still with the Organization on Halloween.
I agree with this. I don't think it's as clear cut as some others think that he's guaranteed to get claimed. Especially during those cut down deadlines when the waiver wire is pretty loaded. I'm not very confident a team is going to claim an unproven AHL rental goalie.

I'm also a tad curious if this is exactly why DS didn't try and purchase any of Bussi's UFA years. It could also have been Bussi's preference, but it does make me curious.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Everyone knew Ullmark was going to be moved. That puts Sweeney at a disadvantage from the start.

Originally it was speculated the Bruins couldn't get a first-round pick for him. Then the rumors started (not coming from Boston). Chychrun, Pinto, 7th pick overall. Expectation raised.

Now reality. Sweeney foes, as usual, up in arms. No idea if there was any alternative, or what else may be in store.

I'm happy they got a first- round pick. They need to get young players from the draft going forward. Looking forward to seeing Kastelic play. I'm pretty confident the Bruins will ice a better team this season than last.

I have faith in this management team.
Everyone also new the 35 year-old Markstrom was as well and I have to say Conroy and the Flames got a better return, despite rumors that Jersey was the only team where he would go. Sweeney caused his own disadvantage by having poor asset management and waiting to long to move Ullmark , he should of sent him packing a year ago when he had a couple of years left on his contract, not with one that was expiring. He basically put his own handcuffs on.

I'm also happy they got back in the first round and I'm looking forward in seeing what Kastelic will bring, if he manages to crack the line-up on a regular basis, and how Korpi will look as a Bruin, but this doesn't overshadow Sweeney inability to trade an asset at his highest value, and his inability to acquire more from a team who was essentially making a cap dump. It doesn't seem too long ago when Sweeney was trading away first round picks to shed a bad cap hit. Last night he took on a bad Cap hit and got that first round pick but he traded a Vezina winning goalie in doing so and ultimately only gained very little cap space in return.

The bottom line imo is sweeney didn't get the most out of an asset and helped a divisional rival shed a bad contract by trading them a Vezina winning goalie. Terrible asset Management by Sweeney no matter if this trade comes out as a fair deal down the road or a lopsided one, he failed in not gaining the greatest value for a player by not knowing when to deal him away.

Reactions: Bodit9

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
7th overall, pinto, Chychrun & Greig for Ullmark. I think most of us got a little carried away. Realistically, who out of the few teams not on his list was going to give more for a goalie that lost his starting job and has lots of questions marks in the playoffs? Guy played great in the regular season in Boston’s system. Would you give up more to take that chance that it will translate to your system while committing to what’s likely a long term $7 million per contract even if he decides to stay? Especially after your last long term goalie contract blew up in your face. Staios would be a fool to give more under these circumstances lol Sweeney did ok, 1st rd pick, perfect 4th liner he was looking for anyway, backup goalie who might be traded at the trade deadline after rehabbing his numbers, and cap space. Win win situation imo.

Reactions: Dr Hook

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Whynot let him play and see he becomes a solid asset. Believe in korpi! We gave Danton a chance and he popped nearly 20. JVR had a 40 points. Geekie had a career year. Donny knows what's he doing. He sees something.

By any chance Don are you related to GM Sweeney ? You seem to almost love him like a family member, unconditional love.

Reactions: The don godfather

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
25th OA picks since 2010 (feel free to use some other time frame)

2010 - C-Quinton Howden - 97gp 17pts
2011 - D-Stuart Percy - 12gp 3pts
2012 - D-Jordan Schmaltz - 42gp 5pts
2013 - R-Michael Mccarron - 228gp 48pts
2014 - Pasta!
2015 - C-Jack Roslovic - 445gp 221pts
2016 - L - Riley Tufte - 18gp 3 pts
2017 - C - Ryan Poehling - 215gp 64pts
2018 - L - Dominik Bokk - 0gp 0 pts
2019 - C - Connor McMichael 155gp 51pts
2020 - D - Justin Barron - 94gp 30pts
2021 - D - Corson Ceulemans - 0gp 0pts
2022 - D - Sam Rinzel 0/0
2023 - C - Otto Stenberg 0/0

i'm not going to bank on that pick amounting to much
and how many player drafted in the 2nd round by the B's HAVE panned out. Low 1st to mid 2nd in weak drafts are all the same.
Actually anything(excluding the clusterfutz of 2015) after the top 10 is a wing and a prayer.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Everyone also new the 35 year-old Markstrom was as well and I have to say Conroy and the Flames got a better return, despite rumors that Jersey was the only team where he would go. Sweeney caused his own disadvantage by having poor asset management and waiting to long to move Ullmark , he should of sent him packing a year ago when he had a couple of years left on his contract, not with one that was expiring. He basically put his own handcuffs on.

I'm also happy they got back in the first round and I'm looking forward in seeing what Kastelic will bring, if he manages to crack the line-up on a regular basis, and how Korpi will look as a Bruin, but this doesn't overshadow Sweeney inability to trade an asset at his highest value, and his inability to acquire more from a team who was essentially making a cap dump. It doesn't seem too long ago when Sweeney was trading away first round picks to shed a bad cap hit. Last night he took on a bad Cap hit and got that first round pick but he traded a Vezina winning goalie in doing so and ultimately only gained very little cap space in return.

The bottom line imo is sweeney didn't get the most out of an asset and helped a divisional rival shed a bad contract by trading them a Vezina winning goalie. Terrible asset Management by Sweeney no matter if this trade comes out as a fair deal down the road or a lopsided one, he failed in not gaining the greatest value for a player by not knowing when to deal him away.

You say Ullmark was a Vezina winning goalie and they should have got more (despite all the obstacles). But you also say they should have traded him last year, when he was coming off the Vezina winning season. Talk about Monday morning quarterbacking. Didn't know Swayman was the answer for sure then either.

Reactions: Tbaybruin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad