Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread - Linus traded to Sens

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Ok to those of you freaking out, I submit Cam Talbot to you.

Talbot on the Sens:

2.93, .898%, "worst contract ever"

Talbot one year later on the Kings:

2.48, .913%, 27 wins

As a 36 year old....
So this is actually pretty interesting because even after that awful year Talbot had with Ottawa, he still ended up getting a 2 million dollar deal with the Kings (including performance bonuses)

Obviously being up there in age it was going to be a one year deal.

I wonder if retaining another 25% on Korpi, which gets him down to nearly 2 million starts becoming attractive to some teams...?

Reactions: Mad-Marcus and CDJ

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I wonder if the right move is keeping Korpisalo this year and try to rebound his value a bit before moving him. If he has a good season for us, 3m for him becomes attractive for other teams and gets us more that a late round pick maybe.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Did Sweeney ever really say he was trading Linus for cap space?
I am not a Sweeney fan, I just want to know where all that narrative came from?.
Not sure it matters.

You trade for value, cap space, or both.

Not sure, at this point, this trade puts a check in any of those three boxes.

Reactions: JOKER 192

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I still refuse to believe Korpi is part of the plan. We have Bussi who requires waivers. Waiting for the buyout.
They will battle for the backup spot and waive Korpisalo if Bussi beats him out. If they waive Bussi, he's getting claimed. I wonder if Korpisalo beats Bussi out if the Bruins will carry three goalies.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
This pick in a weak draft will apparently be franchise altering....can't. wait.
Well its going to be a player we would not be getting if we didn't trade Linus ?

I haven't seen any posts suggesting it will be franchise altering

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I think people are putting way to much stock into his performance playing for a crappy OTT team. No one seems to want to look at the season before where he posted a 2.87 GAA / .914 SV% and the 11th best goals saved above expected while splitting time between CBJ and LAK.

If Korpisalo can come in and put up around a 2.50 GAA / .915 SV% then guess what....he'll be what Ullmark was this year. Ullmark posted a 2.57 GAA / .915 SV% this past season. If you look at Ullmark's first season he posted a 2.45 GAA / .917 SV% for the Bruins. Between those two seasons was a one of the best season we've ever seen in NHL history and Ullmark posted the 3rd highest SV% in NHL history among goalies with at least 40gp.
This is what I think the Bruins are thinking. I think Sweeney thinks he still has the best goalie tandem in the NHL AND he got a 1st round pick AND he got another $2m in cap space to spend on July 1st. I think he's doing the Tropic Thunder dance right now.

Personally, I agree with the mob here that he should have gotten something to take on Korpisalo's contract, a 2nd or 3rd at least. But maybe he knows something we don't, like maybe the days of paying high prices to unload contracts is over now that the cap is going up. Last year nobody would have claimed a guy off waivers making real money. Last week we saw it happen twice.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
This is my take. I totally agree with @PlayMakers take on this vis a vis the two deals (extension vs. no extension).

But like you, if the non extension deal was average at best, why the rush?

I do hope there are some ancillary pieces to fall. If not, this one is rough.
I'm hoping he moves Bussi for a decent pick. Then the urgency of Korpi makes a bit more sense. You can't deal Bussi if you don't have a #2 in place. You also go into the draft with two picks in the first 3 rounds, which would be good. We need to re-stock that cupboard.

Reactions: Number8

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
So this is actually pretty interesting because even after that awful year Talbot had with Ottawa, he still ended up getting a 2 million dollar deal with the Kings (including performance bonuses)

Obviously being up there in age it was going to be a one year deal.

I wonder if retaining another 25% on Korpi, which gets him down to nearly 2 million starts becoming attractive to some teams...?

Yup this is the right way to think on it. People have recency bias and I get it. But all goalies get shelled in Ottawa.

People need to take a breath and see how it plays out now.

Reactions: CellyHard

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Whynot let him play and see he becomes a solid asset. Believe in korpi! We gave Danton a chance and he popped nearly 20. JVR had a 40 points. Geekie had a career year. Donny knows what's he doing. He sees something.

If Korpisalo turns into Hasek, the deal as made at the time is still a shit deal.

It’s a bad sign where to justify the trade you need to be rooting for your pieces to turn it around

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
If Korpisalo turns into Hasek, the deal as made at the time is still a shit deal.

It’s a bad sign where to justify the trade you need to be rooting for your pieces to turn it around
Korpi isnt that bad he played for a crappy team. Watch linus numbers take a hit there. With bruins solid management I expect korpi to be a solid backup. Let's see gonzo.

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
I'm curious about the Bussi situation. They just signed him, and then they grabbed a #2 goalie. Everyone here seems to think Bussi won't clear waivers, but maybe once training camp winds down it won't be difficult to do?

I also like the idea PM said - maybe Bussi is a more valuable asset with his contract, and they ship him at the draft for a decent 2nd round pick?

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Korpi isnt that bad he played for a crappy team. Watch linus numbers take a hit there. With bruins solid management I expect korpi to be a solid backup. Let's see gonzo.

That doesn’t change what the values were at the time of the trade.

If you trade Poitras today for a 5th, and the 5th ends up being another Kaprizov, was that a good trade at the time it was made?

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
They will battle for the backup spot and waive Korpisalo if Bussi beats him out. If they waive Bussi, he's getting claimed. I wonder if Korpisalo beats Bussi out if the Bruins will carry three goalies.
So Bussi if he is up in Boston for training camp and preseason games can’t be sent down without clearing waivers?

Reactions: barriers

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Okay, for the sake of what's left of my sanity I'm going to chill and realize that it is what it is and see how the next few weeks go. I've taken some shots at Sweeney, rightfully or wrongfully so. Going to reserve full judgement until
this all plays out.
Well what a great post. Great voice of reason

Reactions: The don godfather

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
That doesn’t change what the values were at the time of the trade.

If you trade Poitras today for a 5th, and the 5th ends up being another Kaprizov, was that a good trade at the time it was made?
Getting a 1st and kastelic with a retained korpi for a guy who probably leaves after a year in Ottawa. I'm doing handstands gonzo. Donny is the man.

Reactions: goldenblack

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
This is what I think the Bruins are thinking. I think Sweeney thinks he still has the best goalie tandem in the NHL AND he got a 1st round pick AND he got another $2m in cap space to spend on July 1st. I think he's doing the Tropic Thunder dance right now.

Personally, I agree with the mob here that he should have gotten something to take on Korpisalo's contract, a 2nd or 3rd at least. But maybe he knows something we don't, like maybe the days of paying high prices to unload contracts is over now that the cap is going up. Last year nobody would have claimed a guy off waivers making real money. Last week we saw it happen twice.

Understatement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad