Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread - Linus traded to Sens

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Some folks talking up Korpisalo as being better in some other years pre-Ottawa. Well, let's look at his saves above average (GSAA) figures. Pretty handy and informative stat, removes at least part of the variable of playing behind a bad team.

These were his league rankings in this regard amongst all goalies per year in the last six seasons:

2023-24: 97th
2022-23: 14th
2021-22: 118th
2020-21: 95th
2019-20: 34th
2018-19: 79th

One pretty good season, one average one, four awful. Let's not beat about the bush. The guy does have some talent, his best is solid. But he's been downright bad far more often than he's been good. The Bruins are taking a pretty sizeable gamble that they can get at least serviceable performances out of him in our system. Perhaps it will pay off. But it's going to take a lot of work.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
We’ll find out 48 hours after the final when the buyout window begins.
So if they were to keep Korpi and Busi starts in Providence they wouldn’t even be able to call him up?
We have a pick to flip for an established player is that's what direction we go in.
It's not a great draft, this year..

We have a pick to flip for an established player is that's what direction we go in.
It's not a great draft, this year.
Why would a team give away an established player for a 25th pick in a week draft,unless they had an ugly contract they wanted to unload maybe.

ylekot

Still evaluating..
Feb 2, 2010
Paxton Massachusetts
There has to be another shoe that drops. There has to be a plan. The minimal cap savings of doing this trade as constituted and standing pat and waiting for TDL, or running with the tandem for another year just doesn't make much sense.

Reactions: Bodit9

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I was writing a thoughtful response then the terrible ads and mandatory Ad refresh on this site stopped it.

God, this AD site with some Hockey info
Do the $12 annual sponsorship. Not one ad.

It rivals the kind of value Ottawa got from us in this trade. Extremely difficult to beat. A bite the other guy’s hand off kind of deal.

Reactions: Coach Parker

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
If the player you are spending that $3M in unplayable, it damn well is.

I’m not saying Korpisalo is unplayable in the future, but right now he’s a liability.

If you have the chance to buy something special at an outrageous deal, but can’t because you don’t have the cash??? I don’t care if you are short by 10 cents or $10M, if you’ve spent money poorly then that is called an opportunity cost and it most damn well is a liability.

Yeah but didnt you know that the cap will rise in the next years? Let's sign Daniel Sprong to a 6 year x 4 years contract as with the rising cap it doesnt really matter. Am I doing this right? 🤔

Reactions: Number8

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
So if they were to keep Korpi and Busi starts in Providence they wouldn’t even be able to call him up?

Why would a team give away an established player for a 25th pick in a week draft,unless they had an ugly contract they wanted to unload maybe.
It all depends on it just a part of an expanded deal. 1 for 1, no.
If any of you follow my history of posts, while we may not agree, I'm not naive.

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Ullmark’s kind of taking a risk without the extension in Ottawa if he has a crap season playing behind that Ottawa defense,do teams look at him as just being as good as his D.

Reactions: Mad-Marcus

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
It's not a great draft, this year.
Can keep trading first round picks regardless of the quality.

Bruins have been drafting well, my guess is they have a player in mind

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
This wasn’t a Taylor Hall situation but we got worse than the Taylor Hall return.
Missed point, the player with a limitation in movement always brings a lesser return.
Also Hall wasn't a great as hindsight would leave you seeing. He'd still be here if he was.
Very frustrating player except for his MVP season

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
Maybe they aren’t sold ?

No idea

But Korpi even with last year shit show over 90 % SV

they could keep, waive,send down, trade but I think he may be here
(Friends of mine after initial shock think he’s going to be here and they will get him playing well )
I think the simplest explanation is Donny likes Korps at $3M for 4 years as backup. Too much money and term for my liking. Would like him at $2M for 2 years. And the other problem is he didn't get enough in return to take on a crappy contract. Sens were dying to get rid of that contract. Need to make them pay.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
If the player you are spending that $3M in unplayable, it damn well is.

I’m not saying Korpisalo is unplayable in the future, but right now he’s a liability.

If you have the chance to buy something special at an outrageous deal, but can’t because you don’t have the cash??? I don’t care if you are short by 10 cents or $10M, if you’ve spent money poorly then that is called an opportunity cost and it most damn well is a liability.

I think people are putting way to much stock into his performance playing for a crappy OTT team. No one seems to want to look at the season before where he posted a 2.87 GAA / .914 SV% and the 11th best goals saved above expected while splitting time between CBJ and LAK.

If Korpisalo can come in and put up around a 2.50 GAA / .915 SV% then guess what....he'll be what Ullmark was this year. Ullmark posted a 2.57 GAA / .915 SV% this past season. If you look at Ullmark's first season he posted a 2.45 GAA / .917 SV% for the Bruins. Between those two seasons was a one of the best season we've ever seen in NHL history and Ullmark posted the 3rd highest SV% in NHL history among goalies with at least 40gp.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I can't see Sweeney keeping Korpisalo. At 3 million per year he might be more attractive to another team for a 4th round pick or something along those lines. Maybe the Capitals/Bluejackets/Red Wings take a flyer on Korpisalo. The cap hit isn't disasterous, the term stings but he was a good goalie a few years ago.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Everyone knew Ullmark was going to be moved. That puts Sweeney at a disadvantage from the start.

Originally it was speculated the Bruins couldn't get a first-round pick for him. Then the rumors started (not coming from Boston). Chychrun, Pinto, 7th pick overall. Expectation raised.

Now reality. Sweeney foes, as usual, up in arms. No idea if there was any alternative, or what else may be in store.

I'm happy they got a first- round pick. They need to get young players from the draft going forward. Looking forward to seeing Kastelic play. I'm pretty confident the Bruins will ice a better team this season than last.

I have faith in this management team.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
When Linus leaves after a year in OTT, we can revisit this. OTT will have to pay him Swayman $$ to stay.
who cares what it means to the Sens in a year? This trade does nothing to help the B's right now. It's unlikely to help them in the near future (unless they get EXTREMELY lucky with the 25th pick) and it's unlikely to make a significant impact long term (unless they get a little lucky with the pick)

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
not waiting for a buyout, thinking another deal in the mix and Korp will be a part of something
Whynot let him play and see he becomes a solid asset. Believe in korpi! We gave Danton a chance and he popped nearly 20. JVR had a 40 points. Geekie had a career year. Donny knows what's he doing. He sees something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad