Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread - Linus traded to Sens

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I would assume the Sens already would have moved Korpisalo for future considerations if that was an option
Same. I suppose it's possible they didn't work the phones hard enough or something. I'm trying to justify it, but so far it's not working. I feel worse about it today than I did last night.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
It's a reasonable take.

Only if they keep him.

god forbid Swayman get hurt...........................
you have coaches make him an asset.

you're not wrong, with lemons...................make lemonade.

FYI, a buyout coast 250K thins year, goes up to 1.75M in 2028!, by then the cap should be significantly higher.

what if the better deals were with teams he would not go to?
month before the deadline I am sure his list gets a whole lot bigger.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Same. I suppose it's possible they didn't work the phones hard enough or something. I'm trying to justify it, but so far it's not working. I feel worse about it today than I did last night.

The only way I can see this trade making sense, is if Sweeney has some time sensitive trade pending that was for some reason dependent on one of the assets he acquired going to this mystery 3rd team.

Staios catches wind of it, and makes Sweeney eat shit to get the pieces he needs to work out this 2nd deal.

But that still feels like a stretch

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Amid predictable howls of indignation, let's chill, dig into this, and go from there,

Sufficiently chilled.

And underwhelmed:

#25 not #7. Not terrible, not great.

More from Boston.com/Globe's Conor Ryan,

Kastelic, 25, appeared in 63 games during the 2023-24 season with Ottawa, recording five points and five assists for 10 points. He should add some heft to Boston’s bottom-six unit, with the 6-foot-3 forward ranking third in penalty minutes (63) and fourth in hits (126) for Ottawa last season.

But Korpisalo — even with a reduced cap hit — is a puzzling add for Boston. One of the primary perks for Boston moving Ullmark was going to be the additional cap savings, allowing Boston to further address other deficiencies on the roster.

But instead of freeing up $5 million by moving Ullmark’s contract off the books, it’s now only $2 million with Korpisalo in place.

And even though Korpisalo could be lined up as Swayman’s backup moving forward, the Bruins did have a cheaper alternative in Brandon Bussi — or a free-agent netminder available for a better price.

Korpisalo was one of the worst goalies in the NHL last season, sporting an .890 save percentage over 55 games with the Senators.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Happy birthday Brandon! You're stuck in the AHL!!
Maybe they aren’t sold ?

No idea

But Korpi even with last year shit show over 90 % SV

they could keep, waive,send down, trade but I think he may be here
(Friends of mine after initial shock think he’s going to be here and they will get him playing well )

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Sweeney got pantsed. in a league where you need to weaponize capspace, he just straight up helped a division rival. Is he vying for the next Sens job?
It's strange. When the Bruins have bad players on bad contracts they pay through the nose to get rid of them. When they have good players on fair contracts they get pennies or have to take on trash to make a deal.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Ok. But both of those options seem shitty.
Why, in the NBA, guys get outright released directly after trades.

This was not a perfect ending, of course we wanted to fleece whatever team took him, but he had a say, wasn't extended past the last year of his deal. I'm sure after Linus, wouldn't blindly extend, the price for him went down.

FWIH, they could not get Chychrun to extend at a number they felt comfortable with, so there are many sides to why this was a take it or leave it.
People are forgetting we might have been stuck with 12-13M for 2 goalies.

There IS a way out of having Korpi on the team. We have no idea how Bussi will play in the NHL and may need an Essensa'd Korpi to play 25-30 games.

With the cap going up backup goalies with experience will get 2-3M a year. Considering 5M is now an average goalie and 7-8M a top end one.

We don't have to like it but, it is the reality of the situation.

month before the deadline I am sure his list gets a whole lot bigger.
at the expense of carrying 2 goalies for 12-13M.

No his list this year went from 16 to 15 team IIRC. He would not have to agree to go anywhere he did not want, even if we could fleece a desperate team. It's just not the way negotiations work.

Last edited:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
OTT doesn't make the deal unless they offload Korpi's contract. They need to extend Linus if the can and they need to.View attachment 886908

This gives us 2 years before the hit is significant in any way.

I would have rather not done the deal than take on korpisalos contract for the next 4 years.

I would actually use the newly acquired first round pick to move out his contract and go forward with bussi and the added cap space.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
I would have rather not done the deal than take on korpisalos contract for the next 4 years.

I would actually use the newly acquired first round pick to move out his contract.
may happen in a trade this offseason expanded to get a decent player.

Once again getting stuck with 12-13M for 2 golies was not going to allow the team to get better. Korpi bought out coast 250K this year and still under 1M next.

Picking at 25 is a crap shoot
when successful, where else have they picked but at the bottom of a round. Your not getting pick 7 for an unextended Linus

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA

This was not a perfect ending, of course we wanted to fleece whatever team took him, but he had a say, wasn't extended past the last year of his deal. I'm sure after Linus, wouldn't blindly extend, the price for him went down.

FWIH, they could not get Chychrun to extend at a number they felt comfortable with, so there are many sides to why this was a take it or leave it.

There IS a way out of having Korpi on the team. We have no idea how Bussi will play in the NHL and may need an Essensa'd Korpi to play 25-30 games.

With the cap going up backup goalies with experience will get 2-3M a year. Considering 5M is now an average goalie and 7-8M a top end one.

Bruins are going to be in the same situation if they hung on. To Ullmark
But I guess they did pickup their first and a punching bag in kastelic

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
If Sweeney is embarrased by it, why do it, his phone is probably ringing off the hook now with other GM's looking for another fleece job.

Either to make sure he got the 1st, or because there are other plans in the works and this was a necessary piece of the bigger puzzle, are my best guesses. But we'll see. Point is, in the short-term at least the Bruins know this doesn't sound great.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
1719321130750.png

1719321164639.jpeg

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I hear what you are saying but why now? Why not let a market develop? Maybe some of the goalies go down on his OK list? Maybe in January Linus is getting anxiety over not having a contract extension as a back up in Boston? Bruins had some leverage as well and pissed it away.
This is my take. I totally agree with @PlayMakers take on this vis a vis the two deals (extension vs. no extension).

But like you, if the non extension deal was average at best, why the rush?

I do hope there are some ancillary pieces to fall. If not, this one is rough.

Reactions: PlayMakers

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
LOL, wanna bet with Sweengenius running the show? Get ready to overpay the stragglers left behind after real GMs get done improving their teams.
So you don’t expect any moves Monday or just bad ones ?

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
My original thought was W-T-F on Korpi

I would have lost it at 4 M at 3 M it’s ok don’t like term

They can go many ways on him which I’m interested to see
Yeah I had hoped he was going to spin Korp to another team for a pick (and maybe he does) but I get the feeling since they like a goalie rotation that Korp is more of a known quantity and Sweeney hedges he returns to form. Bussi is a bit more of a wildcard. I understand it but I just not a fan of it.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be

No his list this year went from 16 to 15 team IIRC. He would not have to agree to go anywhere he did not want, even if we could fleece a desperate team. It's just not the way negotiations work.
the difference between Ullmark and Korpisalo is 2 mil bucks. Swayman and Ullmark were sub 10 million last year. This year it will be over if they keep him.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Listen i respect all the opinions of getting fleeced to not wanting Korpi, but we were not going to carry both Linus and Sway at the tune of 12-13M/yr.
Korpi can be buried or bought out, or flipped with a pick to get rid of.(not that we have any)

This was the deal we could make with a team he would waive his NTC to go to. We were more stuck than OTT and they used their leverage. We did it with T Hall. It happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad