Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread - Linus traded to Sens

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
I’m going over players right now st 25 and going to draft Party so while majority here are not happy I’m ecstatic lol
I don’t think anyone is complaining about the first. It’s Korp that people don’t care for. If it’s was just the 25th I would have been happy.

I guess it comes down to people having faith in Bussi to become the backup. I am one that thinks he could do it well, and have a good cap hit.

He’s gambling on Korp returning to form, and granted Sweeney did a great job finding some reclamation projects and they most all worked out. They were big risks though but at short money. Now he is doing the same with larger sums of money with Korp and Peake. They both could do fine but if they end up like there were prior to Boston that’s 6mil in dead space.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
FWIW- Friedman noted on the 32 thoughts podcast this morning that there is speculation Ottawa wasn’t actually on Ullmarks no trade list- yet. This could have changed on July 1st or once Ullmark submitted his new list of teams for this coming season.

He noted that he got this from another manager in the league and couldn’t confirm.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Things we learned from this trade:

- @LouJersey was spot on. The timing of the announcement tells you the Bruins are embarrassed by it. 100%. Maybe it's only in isolation and they'll be more proud once they can reveal their full plan, but for now, even our own management know this isn't great news.

- Sweeney doesn't rate Bussi. Bringing in a bargain basement vet as cover for an untried rookie is one thing, a guy on $3 mil even with some retained plus all the rest of his contract is quite another. Puts Brandon in a tough position where he has to start thinking his future, such as it might be, could well lie elsewhere.

- Conversely, Sweeney believes in the supernatural powers of Goalie Bob. How else to account for overpaying an inconsistent backup $3 mil for one year who it will make even less sense to pay $5 mil p.a. from 2025 onwards, unless Don believes the Bruins can raise Korpisalo's stocks enough to flip him for a decent return after one season? (edit: just noticed the 25% retained is for the duration of the contract. Ok, weird, but slightly more palatable)

- Sweeney was very keen to get back into the 1st round of this year's draft. Really seems the most logical explanation for him accepting an otherwise so-so at best deal rather than waiting it out to see what else came up. Let's hope that pick is at least put to good use.

As it stands the Bruins have taken a decent hit to their goalie strength and got a late 1st, a JAG and less than $2 mil in freed up space for their trouble. That's not nothing, but it's far from great. Early days though.

Last edited:

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
I’ll take a 3 M backup coming from a shit show who behind Bruins D is .915+ SV % as long as it gets me 25 OA

You might check up the stats again. In the last 7 years his save percentage was above 900 2(!!!) times. In 9 years 4 times. He was very good in the regular season last year in Los Angeles after being traded there and then had horrible playoffs with a gaa of 3.77 and sv% of .892.

Then the already fired Dorian came and gave that a guy a 5 year x 4 million contract 🤣 what a huge blunder that was but now its Bostons blunder and they have nothing to show up for the gamble of finding out if Korpisalo somehow still justify that contract. One thing is for sure, you can sign quality backup goaltenders in free agency for way less money and term then that every year (Broissant, Talbot etc.)

Reactions: Gordoff

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
OTT doesn't make the deal unless they offload Korpi's contract. They need to extend Linus if the can and they need to.
korps.png

This gives us 2 years before the hit is significant in any way.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I don’t think anyone is complaining about the first. It’s Korp that people don’t care for. If it’s was just the 25th I would have been happy.

I guess it comes down to people having faith in Bussi to become the backup. I am one that thinks he could do it well, and have a good cap hit.

He’s gambling on Korp returning to form, and granted Sweeney did a great job finding some reclamation projects and they most all worked out. They were big risks though but at short money. Now he is doing the same with larger sums of money with Korp and Peake. They both could do fine but if they end up like there were prior to Boston that’s 6mil in dead space.
This. My fear was that Sweeney would have this newfound cap space and sprinkle the bottom of the roster with 3m dollar contracts, ala Mike Reilly/ Derek Forbort etc.

Here we go again, deja vu

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
The irony to me is the extreme rage centers around a million dollars.

If Korpi was coming in at 2m per over 3m per, it's a nothing-burger.

So in that context, like I said last night, let's see what the next part is. If the goal is to put him in the system, have him clearly show he can play, and then flip him back out to someone at 2M per for an asset, I have zero issue. And they might very well, because no other team is finding a quality starter at 2M per at the next cap number coming. So I'd like to see the full plan, personally. Because like Dom said, you gotta assume they have one.

30% of this board hated when Sweenius gave Linus 5M a few years back. The posts are still there. Let's see how they evaluated Korpi...

Reactions: Dr Hook

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
If they can move Korpisalo for good ol fashioned future considerations, without retaining, then I'm fine with the deal. I just don't think they can, or that they'll even try. This morning, the deal is really really bad. I'm also willing to let the rest of the summer play out.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

My original thought was W-T-F on Korpi

I would have lost it at 4 M at 3 M it’s ok don’t like term

They can go many ways on him which I’m interested to see

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
Hey I’m a basketball guy now but I’d keep him at 3 M

if he plays 35 games and is early CBS or LAK that got him overpaid by a mil and a year (both resolved) I’m good

They could go many ways - going to be fascinating

Poor Bussi, he’s 26 today and sees they got this guy instead of Forsberg
Happy birthday Brandon! You're stuck in the AHL!!

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
There was literally no one pining for Korpisalo. It was a running joke that they would want the Bruins to take him back. The Bruins goalies will make more this year than last year, which was a major problem with icing better players at better positions. it's a total waste of cap space. Bussi yesterday at 7pm was the backup of the future...the cheap guy who has done really well and deserves a shot who everyone was looking forward to. Everyone's favorite GM goes out, gets a guy nobody wanted to begin with and people are trying to sell us on it.
What is Bussi now? Cant send him down through waivers and his only chance on his 1 year Show Me deal is to win the backup job over Korpisalo and force Sweeney to keep him up all season.

(Or Sweeney will flip Joonas this summer making this all moot.)

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
btw if you gave me a prop bet on who had a better GAA and s% in 24-25 between Korpi (on the Bruins) and Linus (on the Sens), lemme tell you it's gonna be close...

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Can we stop with Lysell and Merkulov? Yes I get they are the Bruins two best prospects, one is a selfish player who has been called out by his AHL coach and reportedly is not well thought of by other teams scouts. Merkulov does not look like an NHLer based on his time in Boston.

They should have enough cap space to make free agent signings and not count on C level prospects like Lysell and Merlulov. Sweeney's biggest mistake was taking Korpisalo in this deal, they needed the cap space.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Things we learned from this trade:

- @LouJersey was spot on. The timing of the announcement tells you the Bruins are embarrassed by it. 100%. Maybe it's only in isolation and they'll be more proud once they can reveal their full plan, but for now, even our own management know this isn't great news.

- Sweeney doesn't rate Bussi. Bringing in a bargain basement vet as cover for an untried rookie is one thing, a guy on $3 mil even with some retained plus all the rest of his contract is quite another. Puts Brandon in a tough position where he has to start thinking his future, such as it might be, could well lie elsewhere.

- Conversely, Sweeney believes in the supernatural powers of Goalie Bob. How else to account for overpaying an inconsistent backup $3 mil for one year who it will make even less sense to pay $5 mil p.a. from 2025 onwards, unless Don believes the Bruins can raise Korpisalo's stocks enough to flip him for a decent return after one season?

- Sweeney was very keen to get back into the 1st round of this year's draft. Really seems the most logical explanation for him accepting an otherwise so-so at best deal rather than waiting it out to see what else came up. Let's hope that pick is at least put to good use.

As it stands the Bruins have taken a decent hit to their goalie strength and got a late 1st, a JAG and less than $2 mil in freed up space for their trouble. That's not nothing, but it's far from great. Early days though.

If Sweeney is embarrased by it, why do it, his phone is probably ringing off the hook now with other GM's looking for another fleece job.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
If they can move Korpisalo for good ol fashioned future considerations, without retaining, then I'm fine with the deal. I just don't think they can, or that they'll even try. This morning, the deal is really really bad. I'm also willing to let the rest of the summer play out.

I would assume the Sens already would have moved Korpisalo for future considerations if that was an option

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad