Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Some good, characteristically discursive stuff from Mick Colageo and hostess with the mostest Joe Haggarty,

Something I had not heard: Mick avers that Lysell has something of an attitude and is willing to mix it up @ 5'11, 185 pounds.

Hmm.

As noted, they're going to give him every opportunity to solve their second line RW scoring issue internally, and it's time to see what he has, and who he is.

Merkulov will also receive an extended look.

Best outcome:

Both are young, talented, cheap and -- what is the chattel phrase -- "under control" for the foreseeable future.

As Neil Young would have it, "In'eresting."

Love the shakey quote.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
If you want to take Ekholm over McAvoy it’s your funeral.
I liked Ekholm, and at the time that he was traded from Nashville, I thought he would have been a nice add for the Bruins defense, but this Mc Avoy, bashing is just over the top, he has had injuries and shoulder operations take time to comeback from and I, hate to rip on Gryz, but he is your partner on the top pair is not a easy challenge, you are going against the top lines most of the time. The Norris trophy winner usually has a carer year, OEL for example, no way I would trade McAvoy for him. I will also say I do believe Sweeney should have tried to get Charlie a little cheaper, but what do I know. If healthy with this D-group he could be in for a good year.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Yes, not sure why you are so hung up on it

You are into soft offensive one dimensional defenseman I'm not,

Give it a rest, I suggest you go watch a few rangers games. You may come away and say his partner is an around better player. He sure saves his ass a 1000 times a game.

McAvoy was not a top 25, wins the dumbest post ever award

I would say most hockey people would consider your post dumber than mine.

I watch more than a few Rangers games each season. Living in Connecticut its easy to see lots of the games and coverage of the team.

Adam Fox has played 5 NHL seasons. He's finished 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th in Norris voting in the last 4. Compare that to McAvoy's one 4th and one 5th place finish.

Over his career, Fox has 308 takeaways, 262 giveaways. Soft, one-dimensional offensive defensemen don't have more takeaways than giveaways. McAvoy, on the other hand, has only 194 takeaways and 377 giveaways. So, to summarize, Charlie takes the puck away from opponents far less and gives it away far more than Fox. And in the playoffs the numbers tell the same story.

As far as Charlie's not being a top 25 last season, that's what the numbers showed.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
My guess for the oct 8

Zacha Lindholm Pasta
Marchy Coyle Frederic
Jones Poitras Geekie
Beecher Kastelic Brazeau
Kuntar

Zadorov McAvoy
Lindholm Carlo
Lohrei Peeke
Wotherspoon

Sway
Bussi
Definitely could happen

I am massive Kuntar guy (I drafted and have in sim so got extra love for him)

But don’t see at all ahead of Lysell or Merk

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Anyone of course can have their opinion on where a player should be ranked. But some of those opinions can be quite wrong.
Yup

Mike Milbury said he believes Jay Leach will be a great addition to the coaching staff and especially Charlie Mac. He said (which I wholeheartedly agree) needs to be reeled in.

Between Leach (who’s got a James Bond-like cool vibe about him) and Zadarov as a likely partner - this could be McAvoy most complete season.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
I would say most hockey people would consider your post dumber than mine.

I watch more than a few Rangers games each season. Living in Connecticut its easy to see lots of the games and coverage of the team.

Adam Fox has played 5 NHL seasons. He's finished 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th in Norris voting in the last 4. Compare that to McAvoy's one 4th and one 5th place finish.

Over his career, Fox has 308 takeaways, 262 giveaways. Soft, one-dimensional offensive defensemen don't have more takeaways than giveaways. McAvoy, on the other hand, has only 194 takeaways and 377 giveaways. So, to summarize, Charlie takes the puck away from opponents far less and gives it away far more than Fox. And in the playoffs the numbers tell the same story.

As far as Charlie's not being a top 25 last season, that's what the numbers showed.

I will take McAvoy over Fox all day, the only area Fox has over him is on the PP where he is significantly better. As for the Norris voting, let's not kid ourselves, if you rack up the points like Fox does you are going to get a lot of support for the Norris. Erik Karlsson has won Norris trophies despite being a below average defender. McAvoy is a better skater, far more physical and has had to carry the corpse of Gryz for several years. I think you will see McAvoy have a huge year this year as he will likely be paired with Lindholm or Zadorov. He will never match Fox's offensive numbers primarily due to Fox's prowress on the PP, but he brings a better all around game to the table, with some thump.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I will take McAvoy over Fox all day, the only area Fox has over him is on the PP where he is significantly better. As for the Norris voting, let's not kid ourselves, if you rack up the points like Fox does you are going to get a lot of support for the Norris. Erik Karlsson has won Norris trophies despite being a below average defender. McAvoy is a better skater, far more physical and has had to carry the corpse of Gryz for several years. I think you will see McAvoy have a huge year this year as he will likely be paired with Lindholm or Zadorov. He will never match Fox's offensive numbers primarily due to Fox's prowress on the PP, but he brings a better all around game to the table, with some thump.
What if I told you that last year, teams scored much more 5 on 5 against McAvoy than they did on Fox?

I don't think that means Fox is better defensively than McAvoy, he's not.

But I think the gap isn't nearly as big as some would say.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
What if I told you that last year, teams scored much more 5 on 5 against McAvoy than they did on Fox?

I don't think that means Fox is better defensively than McAvoy, he's not.

But I think the gap isn't nearly as big as some would say.
I was a Fox skeptic but since Rangers on so much and got to see him live when comes in i watched like he’s my kid

He’s very boring visually

however he is calm, decisions- positioning, his skating and shot are underrated

I would take McAvoy for Bruins but Fox on either of those those Florida teams would be unbelievable

I’m not even sure Rangers are his best fit

Bergeron of D ~ not as physical as 37 or hockey looking but the guys top 1-5 defensemen

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
A prediction of "where he's bound to end up"

At one time I thought and hoped the same thing. But I watched the last 3 seasons of play off hockey. Charlie was average against the Canes. Played poorly against the Panthers, Leafs, and Panthers.
He needs to learn less is more. He is not Cale Makar and very much needs to play within his own limits. He is good but not great.
Charlie is very, very good. And I believe he's underrated and underestimated by this fan base. Surprise.

The issue is that he has been called upon to do everything. Way too much. The prime example is quarterbacking the number one power play unit.

I think Charlie believes that because he makes 9.5 million he should be Raymond Bourque. Charlie McAvoy is not Raymond Bourque.

Zadorov is going to help him a great deal. He's going to give Charlie the time and space in the offensive zone that Gryz did in his own way when things were going well.

Beyond that, Mason will sooner or later take command of the quarterback position on the first power play unit.

Charlie can move to the second unit. I think he's going to have a very good year next season.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Charlie McAvoy: Zadorov, Mason Lohrei and Hampus Lindholm will all see McAvoy during the 2024-25 regular season, but it’s the newcomer whose game will make McAvoy feel like he doesn’t have to be both Scott Stevens and Scott Niedermayer on every shift. This should result in a better version of McAvoy as the 26-year-old enters his prime years.

I was team forward instead of Zadorov, but I can’t say I disagree with anything here, either.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I wish we could at least hear the numbers boston want and swayman want.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I was hoping they would grab a forward instead of another D in a vacuum (mostly the idea of trading Coyle and signing Guentzel), but Z will make the D and especially McAvoy better.
If you haven't, and you're interested, take a look at the Fabian Lysell thread. The Bruins hope to get their primary / secondary scoring from Lysell and perhaps Merkulov.

Those two are going to get every chance to make the club. An internal solution would, of course, be ideal.

Even if they have to go elsewhere to find scoring, I much prefer the way they are now building the club through elite goaltending and strong defense. The return of Jay Leach should help with that as well.

They have also addressed 1C.

That, to me, is how you build a playoff ready club and potential champion.

I realize you have to score to win. But finding scoring on the wings is a hell of a lot easier than building on the back end and at center.

I give Sweeney, Neely (!), their draft scouts and their NHL scouts great credit.

It's going to be fun to watch this team come together and build something special.

I am very much looking forward to next season.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
One thing we can count on, since the 2010 season, is the B's forming a great locker room.
That devastating loss followed by the Cup changed the complexion for over a decade.
The main youngins(Pasta, Chuck, Coyle, Carlo, now Sway) seems to get it and are carrying it on.
Whatever this roster winds up being, it should be a cohesive unit, effort wise, and a caring locker room.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If you haven't, and you're interested, take a look at the Fabian Lysell thread. The Bruins hope to get their primary / secondary scoring from Lysell and perhaps Merkulov.

Those two are going to get every chance to make the club. An internal solution would, of course, be ideal.

Even if they have to go elsewhere to find scoring, I much prefer the way they are now building the club through elite goaltending and strong defense. The return of Jay Leach should help with that as well.

They have also addressed 1C.

That, to me, is how you build a playoff ready club and potential champion.

I realize you have to score to win. But finding scoring on the wings is a hell of a lot easier than building on the back end and at center.

I give Sweeney, Neely (!), their draft scouts and their NHL scouts great credit.

It's going to be fun to watch this team come together and build something special.

I am very much looking forward to next season.

Totally, just that 40 goal scorers who can drive a line and don't rely on PP production don't make UFA often, so the idea of being able to grab one in Guentzel was appealing, especially with Marchand turning 37 this season. Marchand needs to be moving his way to being the Mark Recchi on the line, not the driver on the line ASAP. But, totally understand wanting to see what you have in Lysell and making sure the D doesn't have pairing that can be exposed.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Definitely could happen

I am massive Kuntar guy (I drafted and have in sim so got extra love for him)

But don’t see at all ahead of Lysell or Merk

Ultimately I don't think you'll see a prospect in the 13th forward role to start the season. They should be playing regularly whether that is in Boston or Providence. I do think that whatever opening night looks like it will loo somewhat different by Jan, and even more different by March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad