Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Charlie is very, very good. And I believe he's underrated and underestimated by this fan base. Surprise.

The issue is that he has been called upon to do everything. Way too much. The prime example is quarterbacking the number one power play unit.

I think Charlie believes that because he makes 9.5 million he should be Raymond Bourque. Charlie McAvoy is not Raymond Bourque.

Zadorov is going to help him a great deal. He's going to give Charlie the time and space in the offensive zone that Gryz did in his own way when things were going well.

Beyond that, Mason will sooner or later take command of the quarterback position on the first power play unit.

Charlie can move to the second unit. I think he's going to have a very good year next season.
Don't disagree. He tries to do way too much and ends up playing poorly because of it.
Does not have the high end skill to quarterback a powerplay.
Gets lost on coverage plays in front of his own net far too often. Gets caught out of position looking for the big hit.
He's no futute Norris candidate , where we used to refer to him as a future Norris Dman.
Charlie was at his best when he played with Chara.

Last edited:

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I like McAvoy.
Which is why I've been majorly disappointed in his play off performances for atleast his last 4 rounds.

Reactions: Gordoff

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Totally, just that 40 goal scorers who can drive a line and don't rely on PP production don't make UFA often, so the idea of being able to grab one in Guentzel was appealing, especially with Marchand turning 37 this season. Marchand needs to be moving his way to being the Mark Recchi on the line, not the driver on the line ASAP. But, totally understand wanting to see what you have in Lysell and making sure the D doesn't have pairing that can be exposed.
Guentzel was my UFA binky, Zacha would have had 50 apples easy with him and Pasta. Now has the unfortunate pressure of replacing Stamkos, KuZ and Point should make that easier to accomplish, but still.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Don't disagree. He tries to do way too much and ends up playing poorly because of it.
Gets lost on coverage plays in front of his own net far too often. Gets caught out of position looking for the big hit.
He's no futute Norris candidate , where we used to refer to him as a future Norris Dman.
Insanity

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

In the last 5 years he’s finished top 20 in norris voting all 5 times. Top 10, three times. And finally top 5 twice.

He absolutely is a Norris candidate every season.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
I really think his issue is that he over thinks things and doesn't play instinctively...
Especially when behind, tries to make a tricky play, which usually leads to a turnover
Needs to settle down and let the game happen and just react and play naturally

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I really think his issue is that he over thinks things and doesn't play instinctively...
Especially when behind, tries to make a tricky play, which usually leads to a turnover
Needs to settle down and let the game happen and just react and play naturally
Most definitely. Been saying it for couple years. He isn't as good as Cale Makar......but he seems to think he is. Nothing a good D coach couldn't resolve.

Reactions: Gordoff

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I think he gets worn down because he plays too much in every situation. Not carrying the baggage of Gryz and having Zadorov deliver the hits will improve his game 50%

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Most definitely. Been saying it for couple years. He isn't as good as Cale Makar......but he seems to think he is. Nothing a good D coach couldn't resolve.
I think for posterity you should list all the defensemen you’d take over McAvoy. I’ll spot you Makar. You made it clear you’d take Ekholm over him. Fascinated to see who else.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
What if I told you that last year, teams scored much more 5 on 5 against McAvoy than they did on Fox?

I don't think that means Fox is better defensively than McAvoy, he's not.

But I think the gap isn't nearly as big as some would say.
And Fox's partner is who?

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
He does run around looking for hit, sometimes, and is the victim of being headhunted for retribution.
Hopefully the coaching staff redirects his energy. Peeke and Zadorov, and Wotherspoon when he'll play can be the pounders.
Chuck has all the talent in the world to get top 5 Norris votes, every year. He just has to decide what he wants to be. Defensively responsible and offensively opportunistic, with great skating, and a knack for going deep off the rush.
He doesn't need to be the battering ram. A big of a dude as he is, he's not that big compare to what has become the average size of 3rd and 4th liners(and what remains as power forwards)

Hopefully his years of being a bobble head doll are over. Got talent, just has a glass jaw.

Reactions: GordonHowe

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I think for posterity you should list all the defensemen you’d take over McAvoy. I’ll spot you Makar. You made it clear you’d take Ekholm over him. Fascinated to see who else.
I did just that.
From the list my first post stated I would put him at 16th. Right below Ekholm.

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
In the last 5 years he’s finished top 20 in norris voting all 5 times. Top 10, three times. And finally top 5 twice.

He absolutely is a Norris candidate every season.

Please...

Norris voting usually doesn't have 20 players who get votes, period.

Even coming in 10th Charlie only got 1 3rd, 1 4th and 6 5ths.

He's gotten 3 first place votes overall in 7 full seasons. Odds are they were all from Bruins writers.

Lindholm got 12 first place votes in 2022-23 alone when he came in 4th.

No, McAvoy has not been a serious contender for the Norris trophy.

Not yet.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Please...

Norris voting usually doesn't have 20 players who get votes, period.

Even coming in 10th Charlie only got 1 3rd, 1 4th and 6 5ths.

He's gotten 3 first place votes overall in 7 full seasons. Odds are they were all from Bruins writers.

Lindholm got 12 first place votes in 2022-23 alone when he came in 4th.

No, McAvoy has not been a serious contender for the Norris trophy.

Not yet.

So McAvoy coming in 4th and 5th isn’t being a serious contender?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Correct.

When McAvoy came in 4th he got 18.6% of the vote percentage.

Makar had 83.64%, Josi 82.36% and Hedman 48.21%.

When Charlie came in 5th he only got 12.50%.

So if coming in the top 5 doesn’t make you a serious contender does that mean the bruins haven’t been serious cup contenders since 2018 since they haven’t finished in the top 3 of the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad