Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
This is the best lineup I’ve seen so far. The only issue is Brazzeau couldn’t crack the AHL as a regular, but he’s now on line 2? I’m hopeful, but I’m afraid we are suddenly going to say “ Oh, that’s why he was where he was.” I liked what he brought last year and hope he builds from there.
yep, it's a risk - but based on that small sample size, I'd be willing to see if he's the kind of guy who's game is elevated in an elevated role, with elevated players

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
If Brazeau could improve his skating I think he could be a really decent option for them. I would have to imagine it’s been an emphasis for him this offseason.

Even a minor improvement would be significant IMO

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023
I just don’t want to see lineups with McLaughlin, Steen, Bovquist, etc, etc. Those guys need new homes and possibly real jobs at this point.
Sweenius has finally moved on from that type of player and it’s the best thing he’s done in ten years.

The moves he made July 1 closely resemble the Chara/Savard signings. This new group isn’t going to look down to avoid eye contact after a scrum (Well, Carlo and Hampus still will.) and the result is going to be like 2011. It’s going to be a great and enjoyable season.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Not sure if it’s the best idea to put a 36 year old Marchand with two guys who have a combined 52 nhl games. That’s asking a lot
Yeah, I think I can live with Brazeau playing with Marchand and Coyle. Not that I think he's that good, but he's a guy that I could see elevating his game and adapting to the pressure. I would much prefer a legitimate shooter in that role, since Marchand and Coyle are pretty good possession players, but they don't really have another option.

Poitras can sort of be shielded by being sandwiched between Frederic and Geekie, two guys that can handle the defensive responsibilities of the center position and take draws if the kid is getting hammered.

Kazcram

May 13, 2012
Shakespeare Ontario
i would love to see some combination of Poitras and Lysell to see what they can do to create offence together . Maybe throw in Jones or Freddy on the left with them in a big brother role .

Reactions: NDiesel

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
i would love to see some combination of Poitras and Lysell to see what they can do to create offence together . Maybe throw in Jones or Freddy on the left with them in a big brother role .
Had some thoughts about doing this as well. You can do something like:

Marchand-Coyle-Geekie
Frederic-Poitras-Lysell

Line 2 can take on some harder defensive matchups while Line 3 tries to take advantage of easier matchups.

Freddy is the defensive guy on the line and does some of the hard work in the corners opening up some space for the other two guys to use some of their offensive skills together.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm starting to wonder if they shouldn't take a page out of Cassidy's old gameplan and give the 1st line and 4th line the hardest defensive match-ups. Gives you the best bang-for-your-buck out of Lindholm certainly, both offensively and defensively. Now the two best play driving wingers are on his wing.

1st line - Marchand - Lindholm - Pastrnak

2nd and 3rd lines - A combination of Zacha, Coyle, Geekie, Frederic, Poitras, Lysell, Brazeau, Merkulov

4th line - Jones - Beecher - Kastelic

Reactions: Gordoff and PB37

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I'm starting to wonder if they shouldn't take a page out of Cassidy's old gameplan and give the 1st line and 4th line the hardest defensive match-ups. Gives you the best bang-for-your-buck out of Lindholm certainly, both offensively and defensively. Now the two best play driving wingers are on his wing.

2nd and 3rd lines - A combination of Zacha, Coyle, Geekie, Frederic, Poitras, Lysell, Brazeau, Merkulov

That is what I would start with.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Had some thoughts about doing this as well. You can do something like:

Marchand-Coyle-Geekie
Frederic-Poitras-Lysell

Line 2 can take on some harder defensive matchups while Line 3 tries to take advantage of easier matchups.

Freddy is the defensive guy on the line and does some of the hard work in the corners opening up some space for the other two guys to use some of their offensive skills together.
Good Grief !!! ........where the hell does this kind of thinking come from.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Or you hope those guys learn from 36 year old Marchand.

That’s not what I mean.

The organization should be trying to lighten the load for a 36 year old Marchand. Not put more pressure on him by sticking him with two players who have combined for half a season in the NHL.

Reactions: BruinDust

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
That’s not what I mean.

The organization should be trying to lighten the load for a 36 year old Marchand. Not put more pressure on him by sticking him with two players who have combined for half a season in the NHL.
I am glad someone recognizes that he is 36 years old and although you will see games that he will be the Marchand we have watched for years he is showing his age and load should be reduced.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I am glad someone recognizes that he is 36 years old and although you will see games that he will be the Marchand we have watched for years he is showing his age and load should be reduced.

Yes his load needs to be reduced. Putting him with poitras and brazeau doesn’t help in that aspect.

We’ve kind of seen him coast the last couple years at the end of seasons and probably rightfully so because he’s been ready for the playoffs.

Find a way to maximize his play in less minutes and have him ready for when the games matter ever more.

Reactions: Gordoff

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

That's what I got. Perfection 2, Zacha/Coyle ( both career high in goals scored last year) flanking Poitras, Freddy/Geekie/Braz or Lysell as the 3rd and then the rotating 4th liners.

Reactions: BruinDust

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I do think it would be wise to look at options that put the Frederic/Coyle duo together. They have had good success together.

??? Lindholm Pasta
Frederic Coyle ???
??? Poitras Geekie

I would start with those pairs. See where Zacha and Marchand fit better on the LW. Have a Lysell, Merkulov, Brazeau competition for the spot with Frederic and Coyle.

I would try Marchand on the 1st line and Lysell on the 2nd line, first.

Reactions: BruinAddict

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I agree. I was impressed by some of the skill Brazeau flashed, I think I'd like to see him get some time with some more skilled guys before we decide he's a bottom 6 guy for life.
Agreed. Mike Knuble was a 30 year old bottom line guy before getting a shot with Thornton and Murray and turning into a 30 goal scorer.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I personally think you need Lysell's speed and creativity in the top six.

I would be pretty shocked if Brazeau is given a shot there unless he significantly impresses at camp. He's more of a complimentary piece and definitely plays better with more skilled players but seems like your prototypical bottom six guy

I feel like he could cut in there for a few games and then we'd be pretty quick to turn on it once offense dries up from his line

Need Lysell up there to drive play. Good at zone entries. He pushes the defense back. Need him forming chemistry with Marchand and Coyle early.

The new buzz word around here is "play driver" and thats exactly what Lysell hopefully could be. I think you gotta give him every opportunity to succeed there

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Excited for lysell the guy is pure skill.
Skill and speed. He's the best prospect we have as close to ready for the big club

If you look at the forward group, with the addition of Lindholm and the new guys every single player is at least average in skating with most being lightly above average (NHL edge stats support this).

I would probably argue Brazeau is the only forward below average in skating on the team but thats besides the point.

We have no burner. Beecher on the 4th line but we don't really have any secondary guys that can really make high end plays off the rush with speed.

Lysell has in the inside track on this alone especially considering how Sweeney said he wants to address it and didn't make it a focal point by signing someone like Sprong for example

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad