Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Should we be a little more worried about our top six then we are...JFresh put out a top 80 forwards chart (fan voted). Bruins had just three - Pasta, Marchand, Lindholm and to be honest I don't think Zacha and Coyle are all that close

Panthers - 5
Oilers - 4 - without Kane, Skinner, Arvidsson...holy smokes
Leafs - 4
Lightning - 3 but they're in the top 25 and a tough cut for Hagel IMO
Carolina - 4
Rangers - 4

Not going to get into names as you can probably guess who each of them are...Bruins defense and goaltending are up there with the best of them but I think this forward group has some work cut out for them.

I think it's almost a certain Lysell and Poitras make the club. They need some more talent to compete with these playoff contenders but even if they make a big impact up to the TDL, I think it's almost certain they have to add to this group
I think Brazeau and Poitras will have a decent sized impact on the offense. I can see them adding a top 9 forward at the deadline. The D and goaltending (with Swayman) should be top 3 if not best overall on the league.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Should we be a little more worried about our top six then we are...JFresh put out a top 80 forwards chart (fan voted). Bruins had just three - Pasta, Marchand, Lindholm and to be honest I don't think Zacha and Coyle are all that close

Panthers - 5
Leafs - 4
Carolina - 4
Rangers - 4

Not going to get into names as you can probably guess who each of them are...Bruins defense and goaltending are up there with the best of them but I think this forward group has some work cut out for them.

I think it's almost a certain Lysell and Poitras make the club. They need some more talent to compete with these playoff contenders but even if they make a big impact up to the TDL, I think it's almost certain they have to add to this group
I don't put a lot of stock into fan-voted polls. That said, secondary goal scoring is a valid concern. We lost that Florida series because we couldn't score. Plain and simple. In games 2-6 we never scored more than 2 goals and we got outshot by a wide margin.

It wasn't because we were soft, and it wasn't because our defense was weak. It was because we didn't generate enough offense, and we needed to win 2-1 in every game we played. We also had 50 goals leave through free agency. Hopefully, the group we have can fill that void. I'm not confident they can, but I hope I'm wrong.

I think Brazeau and Poitras will have a decent sized impact on the offense. I can see them adding a top 9 forward at the deadline. The D and goaltending (with Swayman) should be top 3 if not best overall on the league.
The D and goaltending was 5th, last year. Sure they can go top 3, but that means what? They give up 0.3 less goals per game than they did last year? With Korpisalo instead of Ullmark?

That doesn't do you any good if you are scoring 0.3 less goals per game. If Brazeau can replace the offense we got from JVR, I'm thrilled. But to expect him to fill the gap lost by DeBrusk is wishful thinking.

Last edited:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Panthers - 5
Leafs - 4
Carolina - 4
Rangers - 4

Forward group is definitely a concern. Marchand going into his age 36 season, and a RW group after pastrnak consisting of some combination of geekie/lysell/brazeau/kastelic is sub par for the 2-4 RW slots.

Really have to hope for a relatively healthy year from our forward group and the emergence of some young players or this team will really struggle to score.

Fortunately teams should also really struggle to score against us.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
I don't put a lot of stock into fan-voted polls. That said, secondary goal scoring is a valid concern. We lost that Florida series because we couldn't score. Plain and simple. In games 2-6 we never scored more than 2 goals and we got outshot by a wide margin.

It wasn't because we were soft, and it wasn't because our defense was weak. It was because we didn't generate enough offense, and we needed to win 2-1 every game we played. We also had 50 goals leave through free agency. Hopefully, the group we have can fill that void. I'm not confident they can, but I hope I'm wrong.

The D and goaltending was 5th, last year. Sure they can go top 3, but that means what? They give up 0.3 less goals per game than they did last year? With Korpisalo instead of Ullmark?

That doesn't do you any good if you are scoring 0.3 less goals per game. If Brazeau can replace the offense we got from JVR, I'm thrilled. But to expect him to fill the gap lost by DeBrusk is wishful thinking.
I think Lindholm will more than replace DeBrusk's offense

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023

It wasn't because we were soft, and it wasn't because our defense was weak. It was because we didn't generate enough offense, and we needed to win 2-1 every game we played. We also had 50 goals leave through free agency. Hopefully, the group we have can fill that void. I'm not confident they can, but I hope I'm wrong.

The bruins are losing 47 goals and 114 points from Debrusk, Heinen, and JVR leaving. I personally think it's safe bet for Lindholm to make up at minimum like half that with 25 goals and 60 points. And I don't think it's crazy to think that Poitras and (hopefully) Lysell can make up the difference, and then some.

If Lysell doesn't make the team then I'd be a little more worried, cause having guys like Geekie and Brazeau in the top 6 is doing nothing but treading water until the deadline. If that's what they have to do then that's what they have to do though.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Defence and goaltending are a must to win a cup.
Our dee and goaltending is top 3.
The offense will be okay. Lindholm will make Pasty and Zacha better players next year.
Potsy has a half season under his belt and should be a 45-55 point guy.
Brazeau, if he continues to improve can hit 20 goals.
All others should be able to repeat their stats from last year.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The bruins are losing 47 goals and 114 points from Debrusk, Heinen, and JVR leaving. I personally think it's safe bet for Lindholm to make up at minimum like half that with 25 goals and 60 points. And I don't think it's crazy to think that Poitras and (hopefully) Lysell can make up the difference, and then some.

If Lysell doesn't make the team then I'd be a little more worried, cause having guys like Geekie and Brazeau in the top 6 is doing nothing but treading water until the deadline. If that's what they have to do then that's what they have to do though.

I agree and would argue that last years team was already short a good top six wing.

And it’s OK they didn’t fix everything in one offseason. Once Guentzel didn’t go to market you were not looking at anything better than bringing DeBrusk back. And while I was a DeBrusk guy, I do think that Lysell + Zadorov is probably a better duo, at least potentially, than DeBrusk + Wotherspoon.

bruins cup

Jun 29, 2024
And the 7 million dollars to sign him, where is that going to come from?
Not resigning swayman. Korps bussi necas we can win 5-4 every night!

Forward group is definitely a concern. Marchand going into his age 36 season, and a RW group after pastrnak consisting of some combination of geekie/lysell/brazeau/kastelic is sub par for the 2-4 RW slots.

Really have to hope for a relatively healthy year from our forward group and the emergence of some young players or this team will really struggle to score.

Fortunately teams should also really struggle to score against us.
That's the plan score 2-3 a game and hold on
With swayman and defense

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Not resigning swayman. Korps bussi necas we can win 5-4 every night!

That's the plan score 2-3 a game and hold on
With swayman and defense

Ya I guess I’m just nervous come playoff time. I don’t think we did much to answer the issue of getting pinned in our own end for what felt like ages at a time.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I think the folks who don’t believe the Bruins have improved have a valid argument. The oddsmakers agree. I don’t put much stock in the media’s opinion, they’re not paid to be right, they’re paid to write interesting articles, but a mistake by an oddsmaker costs millions. So when they all say the Bruins are a weaker team, we should check our rose colored glasses.

(FWIW, I’m someone who thinks the Bruins are going to be better so I’m not throwing stones.)

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
  • I would like to think Lindholm will be more productive in the top6 than DeBrusk’s 19 goals and 40 points.
  • I would like to think Zadorov will score more goals than Gryz. Z has 24 goals in his last 161 games, Gryz has 6. I think people overlook that when talking about whether or not our offense is better.
  • I would like to think Lohrei will be more effective than Shattenkirk and give our PP a boost.
  • I would like to think a 3rd line of Frederic-Poitras-Geekie will be more effective than the mix and match 3rd lines from last season.

Don’t know if Lysell can replace Heinen. I think Fabian is more talented and I’m excited to see him try but understand he may not be ready.

Obviously, the big wild card is Korpisalo. Most expect him to fail which is reasonable given his recent and career stats. The Bruins think they can rehabilitate him. Personally, I don’t know that any goalie could have done well behind Ottawa’s defense/defensive structure, and Columbus wasn’t much better under Brad Larsen, but he did have decent numbers under Tortorella and Richards: 60-43-14 with a.908 and again in a short stint with LA (.921).

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I think the folks who don’t believe the Bruins have improved have a valid argument. The oddsmakers agree. I don’t put much stock in the media’s opinion, they’re not paid to be right, they’re paid to write interesting articles, but a mistake by an oddsmaker costs millions. So when they all say the Bruins are a weaker team, we should check our rose colored glasses.

(FWIW, I’m someone who thinks the Bruins are going to be better so I’m not throwing stones.)

Must have cost them plenty the last two seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: lopey and Gordoff

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
  • I would like to think Lindholm will be more productive in the top6 than DeBrusk’s 19 goals and 40 points.
  • I would like to think Zadorov will score more goals than Gryz. Z has 24 goals in his last 161 games, Gryz has 6. I think people overlook that when talking about whether or not our offense is better.
  • I would like to think Lohrei will be more effective than Shattenkirk and give our PP a boost.
  • I would like to think a 3rd line of Frederic-Poitras-Geekie will be more effective than the mix and match 3rd lines from last season.

• Obviously, the big wild card is Korpisalo. Most expect him to fail which is reasonable given his recent and career stats. The Bruins think they can rehabilitate him. Personally, I don’t know that any goalie could have done well behind Ottawa’s defense/defensive structure, and Columbus wasn’t much better under Brad Larsen, but he did have decent numbers under Tortorella and Richards: 60-43-14 with a.908 and again in a short stint with LA (.921).

He's had 276 NHL games.

At his age Tim Thomas had played 4.

Doesn't that make you feel better?

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018

Don’t know if Lysell can replace Heinen. I think Fabian is more talented and I’m excited to see him try but understand he may not be ready.

Obviously, the big wild card is Korpisalo. Most expect him to fail which is reasonable given his recent and career stats. The Bruins think they can rehabilitate him. Personally, I don’t know that any goalie could have done well behind Ottawa’s defense/defensive structure, and Columbus wasn’t much better under Brad Larsen, but he did have decent numbers under Tortorella and Richards: 60-43-14 with a.908 and again in a short stint with LA (.921).
Other than one year Lindholm has not shown that he is capable of justifying that contract. Other then him, most of what you would like to think is understandable.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Ya I guess I’m just nervous come playoff time. I don’t think we did much to answer the issue of getting pinned in our own end for what felt like ages at a time.

IDK

Lohrei has another year under his belt and should be good.

You can spread out CM, Lindholm and Lohrei to have a puck mover on each pair and Peake isn’t awful as a 6, and Zadarov is better than the average 5.

Plus, E. Lindholm’s faceoff ability and defensive presence will help as well.

I think they’re going to be quite a bit better in that area.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Other than one year Lindholm has not shown that he is capable of justifying that contract. Other then him, most of what you would like to think is understandable.
For me, he doesn't have to score 40 goals to be worth his contract.

In his previous 5 seasons (before this injured one) Lindholm had 325 points in 369 games, that's 31 goals and 72 points per 82. Even if you take out that one big season you're talking about, he still averaged 28 goals and 69 points per 82.

If the Bruins can get 30 goals and 70 points from Lindholm, while playing strong 2-way hockey, winning draws, helping the PP as a bumper... I'd be pretty happy with that return on investment. I don't expect him to do that all 7 years, but hopefully the cap is so high in 5 or 6 years that $7.7m will basically be the Coyle deal at that point.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

Panthers - 5
Leafs - 4
Carolina - 4
Rangers - 4

IMO, I don't worry about polls when it comes to sports. Too many variables when teams are this closely aligned talent wise. With talent there's also tenacity and a few other factors. Luck, coaching etc etc.
Sweeney saw a gaping hole in toughness and he not only addressed it but he removed any doubt that there's a new direction. He fixed that issue tremendously and I wouldn't be surprised if he fixes this issue by October.
Once he signs Swayman, DS and Gold will bring in a free agent or PTO but IMO Lysell (in particular) and Merkulov will get a long look.
Also if you listen to Dom Tiano, Trevor Kuntar may have a chance of sticking.
I don't think he's a RW (listed as a Center) but we'll see some shuffling as
usual by Monty.
I don't know why all of the teeth gnashing about this lineup. Some thing could be better, some way worse.
This is the "New Look Bruins) and I'm more excited for this coming season in a very long time.
I know it's summer and we've got nothing much hockey to discuss but I think back of where we were last year at this time and although Montgomery great job in keeping the team near the top of the whole league with duct tape and string I also excited what he's going to do with a full compliment of an almost completed lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad