Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
For me, he doesn't have to score 40 goals to be worth his contract.

In his previous 5 seasons (before this injured one) Lindholm had 325 points in 369 games, that's 31 goals and 72 points per 82. Even if you take out that one big season you're talking about, he still averaged 28 goals and 69 points per 82.

If the Bruins can get 30 goals and 70 points from Lindholm, while playing strong 2-way hockey, winning draws, helping the PP as a bumper... I'd be pretty happy with that return on investment. I don't expect him to do that all 7 years, but hopefully the cap is so high in 5 or 6 years that $7.7m will basically be the Coyle deal at that point.
Added to the goals that he may/maynot score, the difference that he will bring in faceoff prowess in the defensive and offensive zones (along with Kastelics FO #s) will be a significant improvement.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
  • I would like to think Lindholm will be more productive in the top6 than DeBrusk’s 19 goals and 40 points.
  • I would like to think Zadorov will score more goals than Gryz. Z has 24 goals in his last 161 games, Gryz has 6. I think people overlook that when talking about whether or not our offense is better.
  • I would like to think Lohrei will be more effective than Shattenkirk and give our PP a boost.
  • I would like to think a 3rd line of Frederic-Poitras-Geekie will be more effective than the mix and match 3rd lines from last season.

Don’t know if Lysell can replace Heinen. I think Fabian is more talented and I’m excited to see him try but understand he may not be ready.

Obviously, the big wild card is Korpisalo. Most expect him to fail which is reasonable given his recent and career stats. The Bruins think they can rehabilitate him. Personally, I don’t know that any goalie could have done well behind Ottawa’s defense/defensive structure, and Columbus wasn’t much better under Brad Larsen, but he did have decent numbers under Tortorella and Richards: 60-43-14 with a.908 and again in a short stint with LA (.921).

I think that DeBrusk, Ullmark, Wotherspoon for Lindholm, Korpisalo, Zadorov is at least a push in the regular season and an upgrade come playoffs when you take the goalies out of it.

But what will decide the season is Poitras, Lysell, Lorhei vs Heinen, JVR, Gryz. And for that…who knows.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Pretty sure he's comparing DeBrusk's salary last year to Lindholm's salary this year. Because the comparison is also what DeBrusk did last year to what Lindholm will do this year.
That's very favorable BS. That's a clearly biased argument . Either it's both from last years salary or both from this coming year

4.85 - 4 = 4

or

7.75 - 5.5 = 4

the math ain't mathing

Last edited:

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
If the Bruins can get 30 goals and 70 points from Lindholm, while playing strong 2-way hockey, winning draws, helping the PP as a bumper... I'd be pretty happy with that return on investment. I don't expect him to do that all 7 years, but hopefully the cap is so high in 5 or 6 years that $7.7m will basically be the Coyle deal at that point.
30/40/70 out of Lindholm is basically Bergeron In His Prime level production. Of course we’d be happy with that.

I think that’s a stretch. Again, I hope I’m wrong.

Reactions: GordonHowe

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think that DeBrusk, Ullmark, Wotherspoon for Lindholm, Korpisalo, Zadorov is at least a push in the regular season and an upgrade come playoffs when you take the goalies out of it.

But what will decide the season is Poitras, Lysell, Lorhei vs Heinen, JVR, Gryz. And for that…who knows.

It's a bit crazy but since mid-Feb starting with Steen's demotion and Brazeau's recall, Sweeney has overhauled a large portion of his roster. Lohrei was recalled a few days later and then Forbort goes down.

Out - Ullmark, Forbort, Shattenkirk, Gryz, Steen, Boqvist, Lauko, Heinen, JVR, Debrusk

In - Korpisalo, Lohrei, Peeke, Zadorov, Brazeau, Kastelic, Jones, Elias Lindholm, Poitras, and possibly Lysell.

I'd say the general assumptions is they are bigger and better on D (and better equipped for playoff hockey), deeper up the middle both offensively, defensively and on face-offs. Bigger, younger and faster on the wings. This is a relatively young team all things considered.

The two biggest questions are:

1) Do they have enough goal scoring and play-driving on the wing? The past 3 seasons, roughly 290 goals was a Top 5 offense. If they can get 220 goals from their top 10 scoring forwards, they would need 70 from the remaining 3 F and 7 D, an average of 7 per player.

2) Can Korpisalo live up to his contract and provide them with solid play for 27-ish games, including 9 back-to-back situations and a heavy schedule down the stretch (25 games in 53 days)? Call it 16 wins, 11 loses. If Swayman keeps up his career win % over his 55 games, 16 wins from Korpisalo should get the Bruins to 50 wins and 50 wins essentially is a guaranteed playoff spot.

I think Korpisalo holds up his end. We'll see how the goal scoring situation plays out.

This franchise has been built and has bet on strong goaltending and a commitment to strong team defense. The Bruins have been Top 5 in GAA for 7 consecutive seasons I'd be blown away if that is not the case again next year considering the investments on D and C.

Even the 4th line should be more reliable, the Bruins basically didn't have a 4th line until January of last year. More 4th liners who can kill penalties should ease the burden and improve the PK. A reliable 4th line means more defensive zone starts for them and less for everyone else freeing up offensive lines for more offensive zone starts and trickle down effect on the offense.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
That's very favorable BS. That's a clearly biased argument . Either it's both from last years salary or both from this coming year

4.85 - 4 = 4

or

7.75 - 5.5 = 4

the math ain't mathing
Well obviously it's biased.

Still, if the comparison is what Jake gave you last year vs what Lindholm gives you this year, then what you you paid DeBrusk last year vs. what you're paying Lindholm this year isn't an unfair way of looking at.

Personally, I don't see it as Lindholm replacing DeBrusk anyway. They're not playing the same role. So the comparison means doodley squat. Lindholm should be judged on being a clear upgrade at the C position. His points (and the overall effectiveness on his line) vs what Zacha or Coyle gave you last season. Then with Zacha back on the wing, it'll be how he performs vs what Heinen/JVR gave you in a similar role.

Truth is, we haven't officially replaced DeBrusk. Many believe that's what Lysell will be asked to do. I don't love that idea, personally.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

In his previous 5 seasons (before this injured one) Lindholm had 325 points in 369 games, that's 31 goals and 72 points per 82. Even if you take out that one big season you're talking about, he still averaged 28 goals and 69 points per 82.

I could be wrong, but I do not expect Elias Lindholm to score anything like 30 goals. Plenty of assists, perhaps.

Nor do I expect 70 points.

Even so, I expect good, responsible three zone play, faceoff excellence, and serviceable PP help.

Those expectations are for 2024-2025.

I don't expect Lindholm to be much more than the best two-way free agent center Sweeny could snare. To his credit, he did so.

IMHO, they will be lucky to get three decent years out of Lindholm. By then, other options, internal and external, may be available.

Reactions: Gordoff

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Well obviously it's biased.

Still, if the comparison is what Jake gave you last year vs what Lindholm gives you this year, then what you you paid DeBrusk last year vs. what you're paying Lindholm this year isn't an unfair way of looking at.

Personally, I don't see it as Lindholm replacing DeBrusk anyway. They're not playing the same role. So the comparison means doodley squat. Lindholm should be judged on being a clear upgrade at the C position. His points (and the overall effectiveness on his line) vs what Zacha or Coyle gave you last season. Then with Zacha back on the wing, it'll be how he performs vs what Heinen/JVR gave you in a similar role.

Truth is, we haven't officially replaced DeBrusk. Many believe that's what Lysell will be asked to do. I don't love that idea, personally.

Agree.

Per Lysell, that *is* what he will be asked to do, and apparently, he will be given every opportunity to claim the role.

Clearly, Lysell's game is not remotely similar to Jake's. As noted previously in this space, he has had his detractors.

Given the Bruins' need for primary, never mind secondary scoring and a sensible desire to remedy same in-house, the tune has changed of late. Now it's apparently Fabian's job to lose. Merkulov is also in the mix.

They'll give him every chance to win a place on the second or third line. Which, at this point and for various reasons, is precisely what they should do.

If neither Lysell nor Merkulov are up to it, that will be abundantly clear soon enough. They'll tweak this, they'll tweak that. But if the result is the same, management will look to trade or investigate free agency.

Given what I have heard, I remain wary of Lysell. But if he has matured as a person and player, he could bring something unique and valuable to the Bruins offense, and for peanuts, relatively speaking. Same for Merk.

The Bruins, of course, would be delighted should this prove the outcome.

I hope they get what they're looking for.

Last edited:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
IMO, I don't worry about polls when it comes to sports. Too many variables when teams are this closely aligned talent wise. With talent there's also tenacity and a few other factors. Luck, coaching etc etc.
Sweeney saw a gaping hole in toughness and he not only addressed it but he removed any doubt that there's a new direction. He fixed that issue tremendously and I wouldn't be surprised if he fixes this issue by October.
Once he signs Swayman, DS and Gold will bring in a free agent or PTO but IMO Lysell (in particular) and Merkulov will get a long look.
Also if you listen to Dom Tiano, Trevor Kuntar may have a chance of sticking.
I don't think he's a RW (listed as a Center) but we'll see some shuffling as
usual by Monty.
I don't know why all of the teeth gnashing about this lineup. Some thing could be better, some way worse.
This is the "New Look Bruins) and I'm more excited for this coming season in a very long time.
I know it's summer and we've got nothing much hockey to discuss but I think back of where we were last year at this time and although Montgomery great job in keeping the team near the top of the whole league with duct tape and string I also excited what he's going to do with a full compliment of an almost completed lineup.
I think Kuntar has been blocked out now, but he could get a callup when injuries occur.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Agrees he was very solid u until last year. Really hoping last year was just a fluke.might have paid a premium for him a little bit, but that’s the nature of the game with free agent centers

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
It's a bit crazy but since mid-Feb starting with Steen's demotion and Brazeau's recall, Sweeney has overhauled a large portion of his roster. Lohrei was recalled a few days later and then Forbort goes down.

Out - Ullmark, Forbort, Shattenkirk, Gryz, Steen, Boqvist, Lauko, Heinen, JVR, Debrusk

In - Korpisalo, Lohrei, Peeke, Zadorov, Brazeau, Kastelic, Jones, Elias Lindholm, Poitras, and possibly Lysell.

I'd say the general assumptions is they are bigger and better on D (and better equipped for playoff hockey), deeper up the middle both offensively, defensively and on face-offs. Bigger, younger and faster on the wings. This is a relatively young team all things considered.

The two biggest questions are:

1) Do they have enough goal scoring and play-driving on the wing? The past 3 seasons, roughly 290 goals was a Top 5 offense. If they can get 220 goals from their top 10 scoring forwards, they would need 70 from the remaining 3 F and 7 D, an average of 7 per player.

2) Can Korpisalo live up to his contract and provide them with solid play for 27-ish games, including 9 back-to-back situations and a heavy schedule down the stretch (25 games in 53 days)? Call it 16 wins, 11 loses. If Swayman keeps up his career win % over his 55 games, 16 wins from Korpisalo should get the Bruins to 50 wins and 50 wins essentially is a guaranteed playoff spot.

I think Korpisalo holds up his end. We'll see how the goal scoring situation plays out.

This franchise has been built and has bet on strong goaltending and a commitment to strong team defense. The Bruins have been Top 5 in GAA for 7 consecutive seasons I'd be blown away if that is not the case again next year considering the investments on D and C.

Even the 4th line should be more reliable, the Bruins basically didn't have a 4th line until January of last year. More 4th liners who can kill penalties should ease the burden and improve the PK. A reliable 4th line means more defensive zone starts for them and less for everyone else freeing up offensive lines for more offensive zone starts and trickle down effect on the offense.
Great post.

Good news is it’s only 7 back to backs this year. And one is a home and home with Columbus.

Reactions: BruinDust

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018

You have a better chance of scoring 30 goals and 70 points, but I hope he does and you can shit all over me if he does,...........but I will stick to my thoughts until proven differently "bad contract"

• Haha
Reactions: bruinsfan1968

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Added to the goals that he may/maynot score, the difference that he will bring in faceoff prowess in the defensive and offensive zones (along with Kastelics FO #s) will be a significant improvement.
I think Kastelic is going to be a great pick up in the end. Looking forward to seeing him and Jones. Both high motor sandpaper guys with skill.

Bottom 6 have been lacking this skill set for a long time.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
You have a better chance of scoring 30 goals and 70 points, but I hope he does and you can shit all over me if he does,...........but I will stick to my thoughts until proven differently "bad contract"

If Pasta scores 50….good chance Lindholm assists on 25/30 of those (conservative estimate, (IMO).

Say that’s 28 assists.

Don’t see him scoring less than 20 goals of his own, so let’s say he only does score 20.

He’s at 48 points without going over 20 goals and before assisting on any goal scored by another line mate, defenseman or power play line mate.

70 doesn’t seem like too much of a stretch.

Last and most important, even if he’s in the 60’s, with good defensive play and faceoff ability, he’ll still be effective.

Last edited:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Yeah, it should help when we’re trying to hold a lead, and maybe we can run face off plays again.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I think Kastelic is going to be a great pick up in the end. Looking forward to seeing him and Jones. Both high motor sandpaper guys with skill.

Bottom 6 have been lacking this skill set for a long time.
What skill set?

Kastelic has 25 points in 144 games. That's 14 points per 82 games.

Jones 62 points in 258 games. 20 points per 82 games.

Pretty much Lauko level production.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
IMG_3458.jpeg

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Decent deal for Vancouver I know he’s pretty bad defensively but is there something going on with him that he only got 975k?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad