Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a situation like this where I honestly don’t know what I think the right move is.

Part of me thinks, just sign both and figure it out. Run a short roster, find a taker for Ceci/Kulak and just get through the year and then options open up next offseason when you can trade either of them.

Part of me thinks match one and let one go, and there’s cases to be made for either one.

And part of me thinks just say f*** it and don’t match either of them. Say we’re a Stanley Cup contender and we are here to win, we’ve got a room full of veterans taking discounts to be here and we don’t need or want 20 something year olds who haven’t proved much of anything who are prioritizing second contracts over the team and winning. We will take the picks and the 7M in cap space and figure it out because as we proved last year we don’t need them to win, their contribution were minimal.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
I’m starting to wonder if Jackson had a good sense thus might happen in July 1. In other words negotiations were not positive with the rfa’s, he knew Broberg had already asked for a trade once and basically signed guys on July 1 knowing these two might exit.

Reactions: KlimasLoveChild

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a situation like this where I honestly don’t know what I think the right move is.

Part of me thinks, just sign both and figure it out. Run a short roster, find a taker for Ceci/Kulak and just get through the year and then options open up next offseason when you can trade either of them.

Part of me thinks match one and let one go, and there’s cases to be made for either one.

And part of me thinks just say f*** it and don’t match either of them. Say we’re a Stanley Cup contender and we are here to win, we’ve got a room full of veterans taking discounts to be here and we don’t need or want 20 something year olds who haven’t proved much of anything who are prioritizing second contracts over the team and winning. We will take the picks and the 7M in cap space and figure it out because as we proved last year we don’t need them to win, their contribution were minimal.
I think this is the answer, if they want to chase the bag then let them.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

Don’t match. Fill in the roster of those who want to play here and have6m extra to play with at the deadline.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Huge mistake by the oilers. This is more devastating than is being acknowledged imo.

That said I'd let them both walk despite minimal compensation. Both players chose money over their team mates, don't see how either could be welcomed back after all these vets took paycuts.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Huge mistake by the oilers. This is more devastating than is being acknowledged imo.

That said I'd let them both walk despite minimal compensation. Both players chose money over their team mates, don't see how either could be welcomed back after all these vets took paycuts.

Imagine taking a home discount contract to see that money burns on fringe players. f*** no, thoses guy can burn in hell now.

There very few scenarios where Edmonton doesn't make playoffs, strike back at the trade deadline.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
i wonder if this pisses McDavid off.
We have guys here taking cheap contracts to win here and we have a pair of young unproven players wanting far too much money.
Like sure I get wanting the money but clearly it’s not about winning for them nor is it about the team.

Not a mistake because they probably offered them good contracts that are actually what they are worth. They couldn’t expect the Blues to massively overpay for them contract wise.

And the end of the day like you said, the players signed them.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Crazy number was tossed at Broberg, I can't blame him for signing that winning lottery ticket.
Insane what a strong AHL season and 10 good playoff games can get you...

Sucks to lose him. But I don't mind taking the 2nd and just signing someone like Gustav Lindstrom (who had a good run with the Ducks to finish the season) to replace his spot.

I'm a little more curious about Holloway. He finally seized his opportunity and cemented his spot on the team these playoffs; and while I normally encourage players to chase the bag. This is a point where you need to look at the bigger picture.

You got within one win of hoisting the cup, everyone else in the bottom 6 came back at a discounted rate. There was probably a Janmark-like deal/money on the table, but you sign an offer sheet for just McLeod money? 750k/year and going from a team that has strong cup aspirations to one that's a question mark to even make the playoffs?

My first instinct is to let both go. I like both of them, and although Holloway's money isn't obscene (still cheaper than Foegele's last season), there's a part of me that wants someone with more size and snarl to round out the group of Janmark, Henrique, Brown, Perry, Ryan, and Lavoie; and this is a decent chance to address that.

Anyone opposed to taking that 3rd and shipping it off to SJ for Kostin?

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Drai-Arvidsson
Janmark-Henrique-Brown
Kostin-Rayn-Perry/Lavoie
Perry/Lavoie

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Stecher
Kulak-Ceci
Lindstrom

Though my proper guess is Holloway will be resigned and Broberg will be a Blue. The Oil will likely go on a PTO shopping spree and play the waiver wire game to add a young defenceman at the end of camp.

Biggest annoyance is this didn't happen a week ago before Kylington got signed.

Reactions: MessierII

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think this is the answer, if they want to chase the bag then let them.
I think so too. Use it as a culture defining moment. We want guys who want to win, we don’t want bag chasers here. It sucks losing young talent but these guys are still kind of unknowns and really at this point while I think both can and will become good NHL players, I don’t think either of them are going to become top shelf, especially because they kind of walked away from the opportunity to play with one of the best collections of talent in the league currently.

Thats really the reason I didn’t think offer sheets were a real risk because I didn’t think a player would be foolish enough to walk away from a situation like this, it’s probably one of the best situations in the league for increasing/maximizing earning potential. Take less now and in two years the Oilers are probably trading you to a team that’s going to be happy to pay you 5-6M a year on a long term deal. Instead maybe a guy like Holloway gets lost in the shuffle of lesser talent in St Louis and he’s probably standing in the unemployment line behind Yamamoto in a couple years. Broberg is a little more understandable because the money was like 4x but I still think he earns more on a long term 3rd contract playing here then he does in STL.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
I wonder what the retribution will be....
Did Anaheim ever do anything to us? I think it gets talked about but the timelines are usually so long that nobody cares when you have your shot. If the oilers sign Mcdavid and draisaitl it might be a decade before the oilers have a shot at doing something back. If they both leave then in about 3 years we can do whatever we want I guess.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground

Yeah those vets are all set for a lifetime. Broberg could fizzle out and have missed his one chance at lifetime security. It’s hard to blame the kid. Holloway is much more likely to regret his decision. He’s a sure fire NHLer and the difference is much less.

UpHere

Feelin' it
Jun 16, 2009

all these vets have made millions already - I don't think any nhl player would begrudge another young player for making money when they can

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Can someone work the numbers to attempt to match Broberg?
Could sending down Ryan and Perry and Kane LTIR be enough?
At some point you will have players injured but not on ltir so you still need to have a buffer as you can’t expect to run a 20 man roster the entire season.

As for pay cuts….. The team has dead money on their books…. Can’t expect the players to pay for managements mistakes.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Keep flipping on this. Broberg has a higher ceiling in my opinion but has shown less. Holloway could be solid middle 6 at that price point.

Logistically matching broberg, while at a higher cap hit, makes more sense as we have space in the defense.

Feels like St. Louis is trying to get one of the players by this move but not sure which is more ideal.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
You could also sign Barrie for league minimum as well, as a stop gap for the regular season. You then get a D improvement at the TDL with the 3rd and 2nd rounder you just got. Both Barrie and Yams are players that can be buried and players you know want to be here. The dropoff in play from Holloway/Broberg -> Yams/Barrie isn't enough to warrant that cap difference, not by a country mile. Its like $2 M vs $6.8 M. Plus you get some assets to use at the TDL for playoff upgrades. This isn't that hard of a decision really.
Youre being short sighted and only looking at this year and we atill have the same issues bringing in someone better at deadline that will cost is as much as these guys and be here for 2 months

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah those vets are all set for a lifetime. Broberg could fizzle out and have missed his one chance at lifetime security. It’s hard to blame the kid. Holloway is much more likely to regret his decision. He’s a sure fire NHLer and the difference is much less.
Yeah I don’t blame either guy in the slightest. You basically need a couple mil to have a decent life these days and they’re years away from their draft year, they need to make money. Take the money, you just have to.

These guys need houses so they can start families ffs. If they live up to the contracts they’ll make a lot more money, if they bust it’s whatever at least they have a nest egg for the next stage in life.

Bowman needs to do something now. Decide if you wanna match on Holloway maybe, but otherwise you either need to find a couple depth replacements or make a bigger trade and rejig things a bit.

Wish we could trade Nurse like I’ve been saying.. I still wouldn’t match that Broberg offer though, too likely to be an overpay and we can’t afford ANY.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Analytically Brobergs 10 playoff games aren’t even good. 5v5 he was our worse defender by a decent margin. Low GA but all signs point to luck. If he played like that over any decent sample size he would get destroyed.
Nurse was worse in a few metrics by a bit but I mean, he had to drag Broberg and he had a rough playoffs.
So really our prodigal child that everyone is afraid of losing was analytically worse than Desharnais. While playing the least minutes 5v5 of any of our defenders.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
i wonder if this pisses McDavid off.
We have guys here taking cheap contracts to win here and we have a pair of young unproven players wanting far too much money.
Like sure I get wanting the money but clearly it’s not about winning for them nor is it about the team.

Not a mistake because they probably offered them good contracts that are actually what they are worth. They couldn’t expect the Blues to massively overpay for them contract wise.

And the end of the day like you said, the players signed them.

I doubt this affects the leadership core much to be honest. I think they probably prefer older vets than rookies.

Not sure there is a right answer here. And honestly it’s more difficult because Holloway and Broberg aren’t established players.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
I hope we match the Broberg offer, but I am clearly much higher on him than most. He is ready to break out imo. Sure there is risk involved, both in keeping him, but also in letting him go...
Let me ask you a question. How would you have felt yesterday if the oilers signed Broberg to this contract?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad