Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
This was truly the worst case scenario. Nobody to blame but management, the players would be out of their mind to not take guaranteed life changing money at the current stage of their careers. All these other players leaving money on the table have already got theirs and are proven commodity in the NHL.

The longer management waited it was clear they were going to squeeze these players out, maybe they got a little big for their britches with all the praise from the fans for all the recent shrewd moves. Both Broberg and Holloway were key factors leading to a successful playoff run, should have signed them earlier and if it was apparent you couldn't come to terms, then you could have traded them for better return. A 2nd and a 3rd is a joke for the value they brought.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Ehh all the vets taking discounts only to have 2 rookies who contributed Jack shit for most of the season strong arm the team into giving them all the money the vets left on the table? I doubt they would love it.
On the flip side this situation is exactly a reason why they took a discount, so that the team could bring back the best possible roster. The mantra was to check your ego at the door. If you’re upset about someone getting paid more than you, then you’ve lost the plot.

With Broberg especially no NHL player is gonna fault him for taking that money as they all would have in his position. It’s not comparable to a vet that’s set for life chasing a cup.

Whether they match both, one, or neither the players that took discounts did so because they wanted to give the management group as much flexibility as possible to ice the best roster.

It’s a perfect offer sheet as I’m still conflicted as to what the best path for the Oilers is.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a situation like this where I honestly don’t know what I think the right move is.

And part of me thinks just say f*** it and don’t match either of them. Say we’re a Stanley Cup contender and we are here to win, we’ve got a room full of veterans taking discounts to be here and we don’t need or want 20 something year olds who haven’t proved much of anything who are prioritizing second contracts over the team and winning. We will take the picks and the 7M in cap space and figure it out because as we proved last year we don’t need them to win, their contribution were minimal.

That’s where I am now.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
On the flip side this situation is exactly a reason why they took a discount, so that the team could bring back the best possible roster. The mantra was to check your ego at the door. If you’re upset about someone getting paid more than you, then you’ve lost the plot.

With Broberg especially no NHL player is gonna fault him for taking that money as they all would have in his position. It’s not comparable to a vet that’s set for life chasing a cup.

Whether they match both, one, or neither the players that took discounts did so because they wanted to give the management group as much flexibility as possible to ice the best roster.

It’s a perfect offer sheet as I’m still conflicted as to what the best Plath for the Oilers is.
Perhaps Bowman clears some cap space and then looks to the UFA market to fill some holes.
Maybe take a much longer look at Troy Skecher as well.

For example...surely there has to be a UFA who wants a chance to win that they can pick up on D at a bargain price (especially at this point in time).

As of August 7th....

Daily Faceoff’s Top Remaining Free Agents​

RankPlayerPosAgeTeamCap HitGPGPTSAFP Projection
34James van RiemsdykRW35BOS$1M7111381 x $1.2M
58Tyson BarrieRD33NSH$4.5M411151 x $1.75M
60Tony DeAngeloRD28CAR$1.68M313112 x $1.75M
62Tyler JohnsonRW33CHI$5M6717311 x $1.7M
64Kevin LabancRW28SJS$4.73M46291 x $893K
65Mike HoffmanRW34SJS$4.5M6610231 x $1.15M
75Max PaciorettyLW35WSH$2M474231 x $1.5M
NRJakub VranaLW28STL$5.25M21261 x $845K
NRJustin SchultzD33SEA$3M707262 x $2.4M
NRJohn KlingbergD31TOR$4.15M14151 x $1.65M
NRKevin LankinenG29NSH$2.0M242.82.9082 x 2M
NRNick CousinsLW30FLA$1.1M697151 x $1.2M
NRAntti RaantaG35CAR$1.5M242.99.8721 x $812K
NRCal ClutterbuckRW36NYI$1.75M827191 x $981K
NRFilip ZadinaRW24SJ$1.1M7213231 x $1.21M

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Glancing at St. Louis' roster I'm surprised they did this.

Their top 12 is pretty damn full with:

Buch-Thomas-Kyrou
Saad-Schenn-Neighbours
Joseph-Faska-Texier
Toropchenko-Sundqvist-Kappanen

So where does Hollloway fit there? They're weak at centre, but he's not really a centre.

Broberg makes more sense, but they acquired a similar player in PO Joseph eariler in the summer, and Perunovich showed well for them last year. Looking at that group, I can see him struggling to stand out, nor he's not going to get PP time to boost his confidence.

Leddy-Parayko
Broberg-Faulk
POJ-Perunovich

He's going to have 2 young LHD hot on his tail for his spot. There isn't as much "comfortably grow into the role" as I would have expected.

You’re missing Bolduc in there, and Sunqvist probably won’t be ready to start the season and Kappanen isn’t important. There’s plenty of room for Holloway imo.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Make Broberg walk and make an example out of Holloway. He can be the teams special little project, raise his value so he gets the bag he deserves. I wish McDavid had a little more Michael Jordan in him in that sense. Just be like I respect your decision to go for the bag but I’m gonna make you earn it even if I have to put my hand up your ass and stick handle for you myself.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm leaning towards letting Broberg walk. If he ends up falling back to Earth we have yet another unmovable contract on the last 2 seasons of Connor's old contract.
Yep. Broberg played 10 nhl games at the same level as Ceci playing rough and people think he is worth it. It’s baffling.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
No one is turning down a job offering them 4 million for another job that's only offering them maybe 1.1 million, especially when Broberg hasn't made any big ticket money in his life yet and was riding an AHL bus just a few months ago.

Can't blame the guy for signing that, that's a life altering amount of money.
Broberg has made several noises in the past about moving on from Edmonton, and what he likely was offered (and is worth) from the Oilers is a massive difference from the Blues offer.

Holloway is different, in that while the offer is more, it is probably only about 800,000 more than what the Oilers offered. Plus he's from the province, and he seemed locked into playing 3rd line and more down the line. He is the one I can't understand waiting for an RFA offer.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Ehh all the vets taking discounts only to have 2 rookies who contributed Jack shit for most of the season strong arm the team into giving them all the money the vets left on the table? I doubt they would love it.
There's a big difference between vets who already have years of financial base built up compared to rookies on their first big contract.

If anybody in the locker room has an issue with these guys doing what's best for them and their families with securing financial stability then they're a jerk tbh. Maybe it's just me but I would never have an issue with a teammate taking a big money contract and in fact, I'd be happy for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad