Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
I think that if Holloway and Broberg were
Offered decent contracts a few weeks back, there would have been a decent chance they sign
It appears that Nurse + Neal + Campbell + Kane have only cost us a bit of our future

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I hope we match the Broberg offer, but I am clearly much higher on him than most. He is ready to break out imo. Sure there is risk involved, both in keeping him, but also in letting him go...
He has had 10 games where he was analytically awful and people are acting like he is some amazing player. He has had zero real sample or showing he is worth close to 4.5 let alone 2.

Reactions: oobga

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
I don't think the oilers match either. Would be a hit to lose these youngsters, but their biggest draw was a lower(ish) salary, and that's no longer possible.

I'm sure the oilers had a ballpark figure of what the offers were going to be and maybe tried to match beforehand. Use that cap space and the picks to acquire a better defenseman during the season. We already replaced holloway.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He has had 10 games where he was analytically awful and people are acting like he is some amazing player. He has had zero real sample or showing he is worth close to 4.5 let alone 2.
This is essentially it. We're a team that has its eyes set on a much bigger prize. There's no real reason to make that type of gamble on a young player, regardless of the upside.

The Blues made a hell of a move. Krug going on LTI with a seemingly career-ending injury left them with a hole on LD that is kind of a perfect opportunity for Broberg to establish himself as an NHL D.

It won't be difficult to match Holloway though. And it's not unlikely he earns that salary sooner rather than later. The guy led the playoffs in hits and showed a knack for scoring some key goals.

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneSweep

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Why would this be a locker room issue? You think teammates are going to snub their teammates because they signed a big contract elsewhere? If they do, they're assholes straight up
Ehh all the vets taking discounts only to have 2 rookies who contributed Jack shit for most of the season strong arm the team into giving them all the money the vets left on the table? I doubt they would love it.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This is essentially it. We're a team that has its eyes set on a much bigger prize. There's no real reason to make that type of gamble on a young player, regardless of the upside.

The Blues made a hell of a move. Krug going on LTI with a seemingly career-ending injury left them with a hole on LD that is kind of a perfect opportunity for Broberg to establish himself as an NHL D.

It won't be difficult to match Holloway though. And it's not unlikely he earns that salary sooner rather than later. The guy led the playoffs in hits and showed a lack for scoring some key goals.
Holloway had 18 points in 89 NHL games with the Oilers,
I get that teams pay players for what they will do in the future but $2M+ over 2 years is a big gamble.
Especially for a team as tight to the cap as this one is.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

It won't be difficult to match Holloway though. And it's not unlikely he earns that salary sooner rather than later. The guy led the playoffs in hits and showed a lack for scoring some key goals.
It’s a move that makes sense for a rebuilding team where cap doesn’t matter. No contender pays a guy like Broberg that much money.

Holloway had 18 points in 89 NHL games with the Oilers,
I get that teams pay players for what they will do in the future but $2M+ over 2 years is a big gamble.
Especially for a team as tight to the cap as this one is.
Way more proven than Broberg at least.

McJesusSaves97

I see the light
May 17, 2015
Cowtown: Behind Enemy Lines
Let me ask you a question. How would you have felt yesterday if the oilers signed Broberg to this contract?
That it's too much, same as you. But the difference is that I would talk myself into being okay with it, because I believe in the potential of the player + the compensation is terrible. I don't think the offer is high enough that I want the player to leave. You are not always paying for what you see now...

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
The question is do the guys in the locker room want them back?
This nonsense really needs to stop. They need good players and stop worrying about who is buddy buddy with who. If you can move Darnell nurse and that God awful contract you do it. If you can get Holloway back instead of a garbage 3rd rounder you do it.

It is not these guys fault they complete stunted their development.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This nonsense really needs to stop. They need good players and stop worrying about who is buddy buddy with who. If you can move Darnell nurse and that God awful contract you do it. If you can get Holloway back instead of a garbage 3rd rounder you do it.

It is not these guys fault they complete stunted their development.
They stunted their development by not playing them in a league they weren’t ready for?

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
That it's too much, same as you. But the difference is that I would talk myself into being okay with it, because I believe in the potential of the player + the compensation is terrible. I don't think the offer is high enough that I want the player to leave. You are not always paying for what you see now...
Fair to feel that way, I just think it’s so ridiculously out of market. Somewhere else in the thread someone posted the 4.5 million UFA dmen this year, needless to say you’d take most of them over Broberg. I say let him go, trade the pick at the TDL for an equivalent or better dman at the time.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It’s a move that makes sense for a rebuilding team where cap doesn’t matter. No contender pays a guy like Broberg that much money.

Way more proven than Broberg at least.
Aside from flashes in the playoffs neither player has proven much of anything in terms of consistency.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
They stunted their development by not playing them in a league they weren’t ready for?
They look pretty ready, don't they? They got ready over night in the middle of playoffs? So much so they're ready to cash in.

I mean this is the fallacy of the whole "Broberg will be better than Zegras after X years trust me".

You get elc contacts that work you take them. This team cannot afford bridge deal after bridge deal.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
We may have raised their value by playing them so little. Play them more, their downsides become more apparent to the team and the league and the dollar value is easier to pin. Plus if you play them more you figure out if you trust one of them enough to let a vet go. In many ways the mistake here is you can’t get to the end of this contract and not have enough miles to know what to do next. So I do think we screwed up their development.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Glancing at St. Louis' roster I'm surprised they did this.

Their top 12 is pretty damn full with:

Buch-Thomas-Kyrou
Saad-Schenn-Neighbours
Joseph-Faska-Texier
Toropchenko-Sundqvist-Kappanen

So where does Hollloway fit there? They're weak at centre, but he's not really a centre.

Broberg makes more sense, but they acquired a similar player in PO Joseph eariler in the summer, and Perunovich showed well for them last year. Looking at that group, I can see him struggling to stand out, nor he's not going to get PP time to boost his confidence.

Leddy-Parayko
Broberg-Faulk
POJ-Perunovich

He's going to have 2 young LHD hot on his tail for his spot. There isn't as much "comfortably grow into the role" as I would have expected.

Reactions: McDoused

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Glancing at St. Louis' roster I'm surprised they did this.

Their top 12 is pretty damn full with:

Buch-Thomas-Kyrou
Saad-Schenn-Neighbours
Joseph-Faska-Texier
Toropchenko-Sundqvist-Kappanen

So where does Hollloway fit there? They're weak at centre, but he's not really a centre.

Broberg makes more sense, but they acquired a similar player in PO Joseph eariler in the summer, and Perunovich showed well for them last year. Looking at that group, I can see him struggling to stand out, nor he's not going to get PP time to boost his confidence.

Leddy-Parayko
Broberg-Faulk
POJ-Perunovich

He's going to have 2 young LHD hot on his tail for his spot. There isn't as much "comfortably grow into the role" as I would have expected.
I’m not sure they think they will get both, they want Broberg. Not sure they want Holloway as bad, but he’s being used in this situation in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad