Why was Jarmo Myllys such a poor goaltender in the NHL, but great elsewhere?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
The Penguins have never had a dynasty.

I know the definition of a dynasty, point was Myllys had one bad game for one of the worst teams ever vs the back-to-back champs with six hall of famers, Tocchet, Samuelsson and peak Kevin Stevens, who’d go on to win that year’s President’s trophy as massive favorites for securing the HHoF sanctioned dynasty epithet with a threepeat.

Myllys was great: I luv hem

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
At the Olympics he was the best goalie two out of three times. Also in '98 he took Finland to the medals, and in the semifinal it wasn't him that gave Pavel Bure countless breakaways.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Gtfo

Greatest goalie greatest era.

Those are the dynasty Pens, he did great behind the worst team ever. Roy would have allowed ten there.

I’ve said it before…

Finland rested Myllys in the 1994 Olympic semifinals, they lost to a Canadian junior team. They wouldn’t have needed to wait another 28 years for their first Olympic gold medal.

Mark my words, after his miraculous gold winning performances in 1994, 1995 and 1996, he’d get another shot at the NHL. Scotty would have brought him to the Red Wings, and with back-to-back Stanley Cups, you’d all be endlessly discussing Hasek vs. Myllys.
Not junior, minor leaguers + Kariya.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
At the Olympics he was the best goalie two out of three times. Also in '98 he took Finland to the medals, and in the semifinal it wasn't him that gave Pavel Bure countless breakaways.
Also a member of the 1988 silver medal team at Calgary Olympics. Though Jukka Tammi played in the medal deciding win over the Soviet Union.

Seeing Timo Blomqvist and Pentti "Sir Pena" Matikainen tearing up at the end still makes me choke up a bit.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

Yes, he took them to the finals by being completely useless in the group stages (losing in both games) and then saving all those ten shots Sweden managed on him. Stellar performance, really :laugh:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Yes, he took them to the finals by being completely useless in the group stages (losing in both games) and then saving all those ten shots Sweden managed on him. Stellar performance, really :laugh:
Losing to gold and silver medalists is not exactly a big shame when you're the underdog. Much less so than Patrick Roy losing to gold and bronze medalists with Canada.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
The hero leading his team to the semi-finals vs his backup

Skärmbild_20240917_145730.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Myllys took the team to the medals by beating Sweden and Sulander took the bronze by beating Canada. A fine tournament by both. Obviously Sulander had it easier in his other game playing Kazakhstan.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I saw Myllys play in the IHL for the Kalamazoo Wings. It was a high scoring era.

His team came in 4th in East Division 1989-90(?). They played the 2nd place Milwaukee Admirals from the West and lost in the playoffs 4-2. In six games, the Ads scored 22 G and allowed 20. Troy Gamble, who had similar regular season stats, outplayed him.

The Wings were short on talent that year.
I was never impressed by Myllys. He wasn't bad nor was he good, just mediocre, on a below average team.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
In 1989-90 Kalamazoo was a top 3 team in the IHL, Myllys team MVP and second all-star goalie in the league.

The first all-star goalie was Jimmy Waite who was a top prospect in Chicago but ultimately couldn't establish himself in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad