Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Guess what? He's only 10 minutes in St. Louis. I don't think you guys took the time to look at their lineup.
Okay well if that's the case, guess what? He's got 5 million in the bank.

Holloway is not playing with Draisaitl this season, they signed two players basically with the expressed purpose of ensuring that doesn't have to happen again.

If Kane plays a significant part of the season, Holloway is likely behind Arvidsson, Skinner, Kane, and even Henrique for top six minutes.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Pretty clear now that the player's agents advised them to wait and knew that what transpired today had a decent chance of happening. every single person on this board would be freaking out if we had signed them to those two contracts, or anything even close to what they signed for.
Thanks. I just heard about the offer sheets 30 minutes ago while driving, so I didn't hear that. And I didn't figure it out immediately like some of the much smarter posters here.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Because you keep Kulak over Broberg. Kulak is signed for 2 years at 2ish mil. You dont trade that for 2 years of broberg at 4.5, that’s awful asset management.
That's not what I was talking about. Kulak likely gets traded if Broberg is signing the rumored offered contracts of sub-2 mill back in July when the obvious solution to unblocking Broberg's path to the NHL is making room for him on the 3rd pairing(since he hasn't proven to be a full time top 4 guy yet), they're not trading Kulak now when Broberg is now at 4.5 million per season and forcing himself into top 4 money.

Broberg's offersheet is forcing the Oiler's hand in more ways than just getting cap compliant. He had some good games in the playoffs, but this is also a guy who's confidence can dip a bit and look a deer in the headlights defensively, the Oilers basically have to predict if he's a future top 4 defenseman and potentially cost themselves a cup if they match and get it wrong.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Blues were contact with their agents at the start of the off season the players were waiting for an offer sheet, if one came great, if one didnt you sign near training camp. According to media guys Oilers offered contract early in the offseason after UFA madness. It’s business. Oilers most likely saw this coming. Blaming management for this is silly. What incentive do RFAs have to sign early when they’ve been told an offersheet might be coming. They gain nothing by signing July 1st or August 13th or even in September.
Are the blues allowed to communicate with the players' agents while theyre Oilers RFAs?

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Can someone work the numbers to attempt to match Broberg?
Could sending down Ryan and Perry and Kane LTIR be enough?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Okay well if that's the case, guess what? He's got 5 million in the bank.

Holloway is not playing with Draisaitl this season, they signed two players basically with the expressed purpose of ensuring that doesn't have to happen again.

If Kane plays a significant part of the season, Holloway is likely behind Arvidsson, Skinner, Kane, and even Henrique for top six minutes.
Skinner and Arvidsson are injury prone. Kane will be on LTIR. Perry is over the hill. I'm surprised Holloway is thinking he can't win a role higher up.

Reactions: FlameChampion

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
So does anyone have an explanation why these guys weren't re-signed earlier in the offseason?

It just feels like after FA and hiring Bowman that everyone went on vacation.

Were they even negotiating?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
It could easily be this year too. Holloway loses top six spots to Arvidsson and Skinner. Continues to receive nearly zero playing time. Doesn't click with Henrique and Brown, and oops you're playing ten minutes on the fourth line with no one. Even worse, the team just traded for a high end offensive prospect that is going to eat your lunch once Skinner moves on next season.

I get why a player like Holloway could bet on himself. But he has ZERO path to powerplay time here, and he's just barely hanging on to a roster spot. If the team is offering 1 million for one year, he'd be insane to turn down nearly 5 over two somewhere else.

Definitely fair.

He just strikes me as the guy that would want to bet on himself, and if he's confident that he can perform the path to a big payday is more achievable here than it is there IMO.

The fastest way to exit yourself from the league (or go on mercenary 1X$1M deals) is to be an RFA with a QO that is too high on a mediocre team. See Spong, Yamamoto, etc. ~15 goals in a middle 6 role on the Blues is walking straight into that territory. There are plenty of players that had better regular seasons than Holloway this year that aren't signing this deal. Playoff performance matters massively, and he might not even play in them in St. Louis.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Skinner and Arvidsson are injury prone. Kane will be on LTIR. Perry is over the hill. I'm surprised Holloway is thinking he can't win a role higher up.
Skinner is definitely not injury prone. And you're gambling 4 million on someone else getting hurt.

Both things can be true. He can believe he can win a spot and still accept an obviously superior deal. You think if he signs for 1x1 and sucks, the Oilers are going to do him a favour and make up for that money lost? No shot, they'd cut him in two seconds.

Reactions: McDoused and Duke74

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
So does anyone have an explanation why these guys weren't re-signed earlier in the offseason?

I'm guessing that they weren't even in the same ballpark. Broberg's camp obviously had some inclination that they could get an outrageous deal, no chance the Oilers were offering anything above 2 million, let alone 4.5.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Skinner is definitely not injury prone. And you're gambling 4 million on someone else getting hurt.

Both things can be true. He can believe he can win a spot and still accept an obviously superior deal. You think if he signs for 1x1 and sucks, the Oilers are going to do him a favour and make up for that money lost? No shot, they'd cut him in two seconds.
You're talking like Holloway isn't getting paid here. He was rumoured to be getting 1.5M. Who know what he will get a year later. Maybe a 5 or 8 years deal if Oilers could free up space?

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

Odds are they were offered deals (thus the rumours of their cap hits last week) but they decided to wait and see if a team offered them more. Definitely worked out for both of them personally.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Just saw the offer sheets. I guess someone really f***ed up.

I don't get why Holloway signed it though. Oilers are a cup contender. He would have given up some money this year, kept what will more than likely be his best chance at winning a Stanley cup, and then gotten paid going forward.

The money thrown at broberg is asinine, so I can see why he jumped on it.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
If McLeod left the Oilers on after his ELC, he would bust. The extra 2 years really help him. He's going to get paid in a year.

Holloway is jumping ship too soon
That doesn't make any sense. Holloway just secured a bigger contract than McLeod ever did, without even establishing himself as an NHLer. You're talking like staying here really boosted McLeod's earning potential. How he plays in Buffalo this upcoming season will entirely dictate his next contract, considering how his time in Edmonton ended. No one will care that McLeod almost scored 15 goals one time playing with Draisaitl.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Definitely fair.

He just strikes me as the guy that would want to bet on himself, and if he's confident that he can perform the path to a big payday is more achievable here than it is there IMO.

The fastest way to exit yourself from the league (or go on mercenary 1X$1M deals) is to be an RFA with a QO that is too high on a mediocre team. See Spong, Yamamoto, etc. ~15 goals in a middle 6 role on the Blues is walking straight into that territory. There are plenty of players that had better regular seasons than Holloway this year that aren't signing this deal. Playoff performance matters massively, and he might not even play in them in St. Louis.
He can join Kostin next year watching our playoff games from the stands and ask himself then if it was worth it. If his answer is still yes, then don't want him here anyhow.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
No chance they walk away from Broberg, who is already better than Nurse and Ekholms eventual replacement.

No chance they walk away from Broberg, who is already better than Nurse and Ekholms eventual replacement.
You think he's going to be a #1D? Cuz that's what it sounds like. I respectfully disagree. Top 4 yeah, but I don't think top pairing.

Reactions: Faelko

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Yeah, they could do it, but again: why?

If you woke up today and heard that Broberg signed a 2 year deal at $4.6 M/year, this place would have EXPLODED with negativity. People would have lost the ever-loving minds over it. So why is it all of a sudden a good idea to match a contract we all would have been very upset about had we signed it? Makes no sense.

If you legit think Broberg is worth that ridiculous contract, then fair enough. But I'm sure you'll be in the minority in that opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad