Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The players get its a business. It's easy for Henrique or Skinner to take a discount at this point in their careers when they've already made their 10s of millions of dollars and have only a couple more kicks at the can. They're already set for life. Broberg and Holloway aren't.
I get your point, but to me guys like Henrique and Skinner are a good lesson to not do what they're doing.

Chasing money on bad teams is how you end up only having a chance at a Cup(or even playoff games) when you're well past your prime.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I understand your position. There may be no difference between 8 years at $13.5M and 8 years at $14.5M but I think there is a big difference between 2 years at $1.3M and two years at $2.3M. The problem for Holloway is that such a move can backfire if he is not able to step up his game very soon.
Right now, the Oilers with the way they're built, can hide a lot of flaws on a lot of players. Holloway might end up busting as soon as this season. So he could lose out on money in the long run. He's actually better suited to be here where we have proper veterans to insulate him

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I understand your position. There may be no difference between 8 years at $13.5M and 8 years at $14.5M but I think there is a big difference between 2 years at $1.3M and two years at $2.3M. The problem for Holloway is that such a move can backfire if he is not able to step up his game very soon.
This could be their last chance at money. If they flame out, sure it doesn’t hurt the blues because they can afford the cap space, but the players? If they dont live up the 2.3 and 4.6 mil they just signed for, they looking at league min contracts after 2 years IF THAT. Look at Yammo,he rode 19 good games into a 2 mil contract and now he’s unsigned at 25.

• Love
Reactions: Oilhawks

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Let's not act like they did nothing either. Holloway scored several big goals in multiple series, and gave this team some much needed speed and physicality. Broberg basically came in and stabilized a 2nd pairing that was getting caved in to help the Oilers get out of the WCF and performed well in the Cup Finals to get the Oilers within 1 goal of overtime in game 7. Considering their age and potential it would be pretty short sighted to kick them to the curb in favour of keeping a player like Cody Ceci.
I agree with this. I also know that Broberg especially hasn't earned the salary he was offered - at 4.5M, he HAS to be able to step on to our 2nd pair and make an impact immediately.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Signing for 1 dollar less is crazy.
Kinda best of both worlds for them. Secure a market drive price point for themselves with still enough wiggle room for the Oilers to prospective match. The Broberg deal is a no brainer for the player. I'm struggling a bit more to see Holloway's upside though for us in the cheap seats it's still life altering money.

Livelihood over loyalty is career advise for all of us.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I get your point, but to me guys like Henrique and Skinner are a good lesson to not do what they're doing.

Chasing money on bad teams is how you end up only having a chance at a Cup(or even playoff games) when you're well past your prime.
They’ve made their money though. They can sign discount contracts and not affect their livelihood. Holloway and Bromberg are also not the caliber of players Henrique and Skinner are.

Reactions: Salvaged Ship

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Risking passing up the opportunity to make a name for yourself on Drai or McDavid's wing is pretty short-sighted by Holloway too. Unless he really thinks the org is screwing him, or he isn't that confident in his own abilities. Although I say this as someone that isn't very confident in Holloway's abilities, lol. I personally don't see him as being able to hold a top 6 role on this team, so I guess I would have to say this was smart of him to do.

Reactions: McDNicks17

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Right now, the Oilers with the way they're built, can hide a lot of flaws on a lot of players. Holloway might end up busting as soon as this season. So he could lose out on money in the long run. He's actually better suited to be here
Isn't the fact that he might end up busting as soon as this season a huge reason why he should take this deal with St. Louis? This is guaranteed ~$4M+ in his account. He might never get an opportunity to make that kind of money again in his life. Ditto for Broberg.

Reactions: oXo Cube

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Risking passing up the opportunity to make a name for yourself on Drai or McDavid's wing is pretty short-sighted by Holloway too. Unless he really thinks the org is screwing him, or he isn't that confident in his own abilities. Although I say this as someone that isn't very confident in Holloway's abilities, lol. I personally don't see him as being able to hold a top 6 role on this team, so I guess I would have to say this was smart of him to do.

The inverse of this is that it would be pretty easy to look at the moves the team made this Summer from Holloway's point of view and conclude that there isn't really a realistic path for him to spend a lot of time in the top 6 this season.

Reactions: oobga

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Isn't the fact that he might end up busting as soon as this season a huge reason why he should take this deal with St. Louis? This is guaranteed ~$4M+ in his account. He might never get an opportunity to make that kind of money again in his life. Ditto for Broberg.
Look at Pulju. Oilers(McDavid) insulated him long enough so he can make his most $$ here. He bust as soon as he left making really league minimum since.

Broberg on other hand I totally understand. That's just way too much $$ to give up.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
my guess is they match Broberg. Guys like Holloway can be found, especially if he is a 3rd liner this summer. My opinion of Borberg is much higher than most on this thread. 4.5M for him this year is probably a fair number for what he is expected to bring

• Haha
Reactions: McBooya42

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Well, no one is going to talk about Henrique, Skinner, Broberg, Holloway about being cupless when they are 45 years old. It's only the top couple of guys on the roster at any time that would be discussed. Be it Matthews/Marner/Tavares in Toronto, Thornton/Marleau from their SJ days, etc.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Was wondering why Jeff Jackson went from super aggressive early, to never making that final move to getting cap compliant(likely trading Kulak) while getting his RFAs signed. I suspect this has been in the works a while with Armstrong's June/July comments about using offersheets, and I doubt the Oilers wanted to sacrifice depth for players they were struggling to sign.

Maybe the Oilers match and LTIR Kane, but I'd be leaning to letting them walk. Might hurt in the moment, and we'll all be sick of listening to people complain about losing them by the end of next season like we did with Kostin, but I'm not sure either player is worth keeping(even accounting for some big moments in the playoffs). Nurse contract blocks Broberg in the short term and the player doesn't have the patience to wait to be Ekholm's replacement in a couple of years(not really blaming him, nor do I even think he is capable of it), not to mention I wouldn't be surprised if Broberg's desire to leave never waivered after getting jerked around for a few years. Holloway is meh - high event, low impact player who might get better with more opportunity, but just got completely blocked out of the top 9 by superior veteran players.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
my guess is they match Broberg. Guys like Holloway can be found, especially if he is a 3rd liner this summer. My opinion of Borberg is much higher than most on this thread. 4.5M for him this year is probably a fair number for what he is expected to bring
Feel like St.Louis only offered Holloway so the Oilers pick up the cheaper aav.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Right now, the Oilers with the way they're built, can hide a lot of flaws on a lot of players. Holloway might end up busting as soon as this season. So he could lose out on money in the long run. He's actually better suited to be here where we have proper veterans to insulate him

I agree with this.

Door 1 - sign for 1X$1M in a familiar place, have a great first full season, play in the playoffs (high exposure), potentially win a Cup, potentially play with one of Connor/Leon (and the points that come with it), put yourself in a position to hold a gun to your team's head with arbitration rights on your extension.

Door 2 - go to a mediocre team playing an uncertain role, have a lower profile, potentially play too high in the lineup too soon, underperform the contract. Then when the deal expires the QO would be too high making him a UFA where he's signing the 1X$1M deal that lots of unqualified UFAs get.

It could all work out in St. Louis if he ends up going there, but the path here is fairly linear if he brings the same attitude into the next season. I just see more risk there. In Edmonton I would give him strong odds of scoring 20+, playing well in the playoffs, then demanding big $ in the off season. I don't see the same in St. Louis.

Reactions: Canovin

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'm saying if Holloway took a 1 year deal from this Oilers this summer, and then had a really good season he is likely looking at a 3-5mil contract next year, so the Oilers could actually save money in year 2.
Would he though? This team's management (previous management) has made a habit of asking young guys to take a hit to help the team out. Unless he ended up with 25 goals, I don't believe the precedence for a 3 - 5M contract is there.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Well, no one is going to talk about Henrique, Skinner, Broberg, Holloway about being cupless when they are 45 years old. It's only the top couple of guys on the roster at any time that would be discussed. Be it Matthews/Marner/Tavares in Toronto, Thornton/Marleau from their SJ days, etc.
I don't think they care about being talked about as Cupless. They likely would care about not actually winning it haha.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
But not for what he’s shown so far. Our window means paying guys for potential is not compatible with the roster right now. We need guys to come and play and show up and perform. Bromberg hasn’t shown he can do this over a full year yet. Wasting 4.5 mil each of the next two seasons on him is a mistake that will make the Nurse contract look good because at least we know Nurse can play 30 mins a night if need be.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

Dradavich

Nov 29, 2019
Canada
Yea yea, it's a business and all, Don't care screw em both they are already making more money then most of us will ever earn in our lives. Let Savoie take Holloways place, Troy stetcher should be serviceable in place of broberg.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I agree with this.

Door 1 - sign for 1X$1M in a familiar place, have a great first full season, play in the playoffs (high exposure), potentially win a Cup, potentially play with one of Connor/Leon (and the points that come with it), put yourself in a position to hold a gun to your team's head with arbitration rights on your extension.

Door 2 - go to a mediocre team playing an uncertain role, have a lower profile, potentially play too high in the lineup too soon, underperform the contract. Then when the deal expires the QO would be too high making him a UFA where he's signing the 1X$1M deal that lots of unqualified UFAs get.

It could all work out in St. Louis if he ends up going there, but the path here is fairly linear if he brings the same attitude into the next season. I just see more risk there. In Edmonton I would give him strong odds of scoring 20+, playing well in the playoffs, then demanding big $ in the off season. I don't see the same in St. Louis.
Well said. Well put.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Was wondering why Jeff Jackson went from super aggressive early, to never making that final move to getting cap compliant(likely trading Kulak) while getting his RFAs signed. I suspect this has been in the works a while with Armstrong's June/July comments about using offersheets, and I doubt the Oilers wanted to sacrifice depth for players they were struggling to sign.

Maybe the Oilers match and LTIR Kane, but I'd be leaning to letting them walk. Might hurt in the moment, and we'll all be sick of listening to people complain about losing them by the end of next season like we did with Kostin, but I'm not sure either player is worth keeping(even accounting for some big moments in the playoffs). Nurse contract blocks Broberg in the short term and the player doesn't have the patience to wait to be Ekholm's replacement in a couple of years(not really blaming him, nor do I even think he is capable of it), not to mention I wouldn't be surprised if Broberg's desire to leave never waivered after getting jerked around for a few years. Holloway is meh - high event, low impact player who might get better with more opportunity, but just got completely blocked out of the top 9 by superior veteran players.
Because you keep Kulak over Broberg. Kulak is signed for 2 years at 2ish mil. You dont trade that for 2 years of broberg at 4.5, that’s awful asset management.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
What was the damn hold up in getting these guys signed? I'm trying to give this management group the benefit of the doubt, but it's hard not to view this as another instance where the Oilers are smarter than everyone else. They were ripe for this to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad