Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If I am the Oilers GM, I hammer the phones to see if I can replace both players with similar.

Trade for Nick Robertson in Toronto. Trade for a player ready to break out like Broberg. Use the assets gained.

Profit.

(ok so it's a pipedream)
Tomasino

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
TMK, yes. St. Louis has been talking to Holloway and Broberg's agents for a while now.
Probably smart on st Lou's and their agents for a cash strapped team; good to know, thanks

I'd prioitize Broberg, and jettison Ceci to do so. I'm not 100% on Hollywood because young wingers are something we have in house/not super difficult to find

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Picks are fine, especially a 2nd rounder in this draft from a team that's odds on to miss the playoffs.

That's a pretty valuable trade chip at the deadline.
Sure but at the deadline talking heads had Broberg a value at a 1st.

A second is nice still but not great value for Broberg but arguably if he doesn’t live up to almost $4.6M that is horrendous for us. the 3rd for Holloway is pitiful but he is buried depth wise.

I think you sign Holloway let Broberg move on and use the big package above to chase a D who is locked in for a few years. Too bad Parayko is the guy I like lol

mooseman7

Jan 10, 2004
Visit site
No option that I've seen . Maybe there has been, but the Oilers could trade 1 or both of these guys and a Ceci or Kulak, In the next 7 day windows.They can't for a yr after a match..
I'm sure u could get more than a warm body or 2 for these guys because in my opinion the 2nd and 3rd are useless at this point for the Oil.They don't bring u anything of value even at the deadline and u still need 2 players 2 replace them on the roster that are comparable. I don't see those 2 players anywhere in their system right now, regardless of how low your value on the both is after the playoffs. Their regular NHL players. Their replacements on the farm are far less certain to even make the roster. I say sign them both , deal with freeing up space after,Or deal them both, we need at minimum a top6/9 Forward with speed,and a 4/5 great skating d- man. THE PICKS R USELESS.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Sucks, but I'd match both. I think Broberg showed more than enough on the toughest stage to play on that compared with his age you have to value him over older guys like Ceci. Matching Holloway is a no-brainer. Might have actually saved the Oilers cap space next season on Holloway because if he took his qualifying offer and goes off for 40-50 points this season then he's getting 4-5M on his next deal.

Can't afford to lose developed youth at this stage of this cores window. I wanted Ceci traded anyways so this doesn't change much for me outside of less cap to play with at the deadline if Kane is on LTIR. If Broberg shows he can be a good top 4D you won't even need a TDL acquisition with the current roster on the back end. If he can't you move out Kulak and get a rental D back on double retention at the TDL.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Can you actually trade a player that has been offer sheeted within the window?

If you found an Anaheim or someone like that who would give us a better 2nd (or 2nd and 3rd) and sign Broberg to that deal which would basically be a trade down for them that wouldn’t be bad

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Probably smart on st Lou's and their agents for a cash strapped team; good to know, thanks

I'd prioitize Broberg, and jettison Ceci to do so. I'm not 100% on Hollywood because young wingers are something we have in house/not super difficult to find
Broberg isn't worth 4.6 per year on his natural side, let alone his off side (at this point). Take the savings, the picks, and trade Ceci for an upgrade.

dem

Mar 17, 2002

If you found an Anaheim or someone like that who would give us a better 2nd (or 2nd and 3rd) and sign Broberg to that deal which would basically be a trade down for them that wouldn’t be bad

Nope

We either match or take the pick.

And if we match we can't trade.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Broberg isn't worth 4.6 per year on his natural side, let alone his off side (at this point). Take the savings, the picks, and trade Ceci for an upgrade.
Eh. See value in both. I think Broby on his off side > Ceci on his natural side this season and next season. Hard to speak about worth when their (Ceci or Broberg) partner's paid anywhere from 4 to 7 million dollars too much.

Reactions: McBooya42

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

No I don't think you can trade a player who has been offer sheeted in the 7 day window.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sucks, but I'd match both. I think Broberg showed more than enough on the toughest stage to play on that compared with his age you have to value him over older guys like Ceci. Matching Holloway is a no-brainer. Might have actually saved the Oilers cap space next season on Holloway because if he took his qualifying offer and goes off for 40-50 points this season then he's getting 4-5M on his next deal.

Can't afford to lose developed youth at this stage of this cores window. I wanted Ceci traded anyways so this doesn't change much for me outside of less cap to play with at the deadline if Kane is on LTIR. If Broberg shows he can be a good top 4D you won't even need a TDL acquisition with the current roster on the back end. If he can't you move out Kulak and get a rental D back on double retention at the TDL.
Hollway got $5.8 mill guaranteed. So to take a QO coming off elc, then he'd need to get $4.8 mill or something to be even after 2 years. Even for Edm, they probably didn't want to have that large a spike in the contract after 1 season.

For Broberg, he also signed with a team with 2 natural RHD in the top 4 in Parayko and Faulk, which would allow him to play the left side if he makes their 2nd pairing unless he prefers the right side.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Hollway got $5.8 mill guaranteed. So to take a QO coming off elc, then he'd need to get $4.8 mill or something to be even after 2 years. Even for Edm, they probably didn't want to have that large a spike in the contract after 1 season.

For Broberg, he also signed with a team with 2 natural RHD in the top 4 in Parayko and Faulk, which would allow him to play the left side if he makes their 2nd pairing unless he prefers the right side.
I'm saying if Holloway took a 1 year deal from this Oilers this summer, and then had a really good season he is likely looking at a 3-5mil contract next year, so the Oilers could actually save money in year 2.

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
These fukrs waited and signed offer sheets, both for $1 dollar less than the next compensation threshold!

Let remember they were not an integral part of our run. Kick'em to the curb!

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Well that sucks lol.

But I guess thats the risk of running so close to the cap and leaving guys unsigned.

I think you match Holloway, say goodbye to Broberg.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
These fukrs waited and signed offer sheets, both for $1 dollar less than the next compensation threshold!

The one thing the team absolutely should not do is let emotion dictate their response. It's a business and that goes both ways. Talented players are not easy to get.

The negotiating for these two players has now been done for the Oilers. Does keeping these players at these prices make sense or does it not? Everything else is noise.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
How many years have we been saying Trade Ceci for now?
I think the shrewd move would've been moving Ceci before last season, and giving Broberg his minutes. But playing devil's advocate here, they have been begging Broberg to grab that spot for years, and he's only recently put together a decent stretch of games. If you're trying to win now, you aren't replacing Ceci with Broberg.

It seems like they tried to replace him with Tanev.

Reactions: McBooya42

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Let's not act like they did nothing either. Holloway scored several big goals in multiple series, and gave this team some much needed speed and physicality. Broberg basically came in and stabilized a 2nd pairing that was getting caved in to help the Oilers get out of the WCF and performed well in the Cup Finals to get the Oilers within 1 goal of overtime in game 7. Considering their age and potential it would be pretty short sighted to kick them to the curb in favour of keeping a player like Cody Ceci.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad