Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
Let's not act like they did nothing either. Holloway scored several big goals in multiple series, and gave this team some much needed speed and physicality. Broberg basically came in and stabilized a 2nd pairing that was getting caved in to help the Oilers get out of the WCF and performed well in the Cup Finals to get the Oilers within 1 goal of overtime in game 7. Considering their age and potential it would be pretty short sighted to kick them to the curb in favour of keeping a player like Cody Ceci.
I dont think they tipped the scales that much. speed yes but physicality i dont think so.

Ceci scored a pretty big goal for use as well.

I love both players don't get me wrong but you cant not ask the big two to not hold a gun to your head and allow the fodder to do so.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
It's like people can't grasp that there are two parties involved in a contract negotiation.

"Should have signed them sooner!" No shit, Sherlock, but unfortunately there are agents and players involved in the process too. Any agent that isn't stupid knows what the Oilers had the capacity to pay Holloway and Broberg. I guarantee that even if the Oilers aggressively pursued contracts with them on July 1 their agent is probably saying "thanks, but we'll see if a sheet comes our way, if not we'll tie it up before camp."

Not a single RFA without arbitration rights is helping themselves by signing a deal early unless it's for good money. Anyone staring down the barrel of a 1X$1/1.5 deal would be frankly stupid to not wait out the summer to see what they get, especially if they're with a cap strapped team.

There are a lot of posters that seem to think this is literally NHL25. I'll leave it at this; I'm not entirely shocked

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Well, it was nice knowing them. I'd let both go. Definitely Broberg.

Let them chase money on a bottom feeder. You probably don't want them in the room now anyway after they've shown their true colours.
Not to judge...but I am going to judge. I do not think you understand what money means in this world. True colours? These are reasonable human beings with two options: 1) earn much less money, risk injury, toil for the rest of your life OR 2) take more money, even if the worst happens you are set for life. There would be something wrong with these guys if they didn't sign for what the Blues offered.

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005

1723585800392.png

• Haha
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Let them chase money on a bottom feeder. You probably don't want them in the room now anyway after they've shown their true colours.
This isn't just a few extra bucks.

This is likely more than twice what Holloway was going to make over the next two years and 4x as much as Broberg was going to make.

Its easy for us to ask them to take a small deal now and then we can go "oh we'll make it right on the next deal." McLeod did that with us and we ended up dumping him a couple years later.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Nasty move by St Louis. I suspect they will match Holloway and let Broberg go. Though with the additions made to the forward core, Holloway might have been pushed down the line up and thus more expendable. Don’t like it either way. Karma is biting us in the butt finally after the Penner and Vanek.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Not to judge...but I am going to judge. I do not think you understand what money means in this world. True colours? These are reasonable human beings with two options: 1) earn much less money, risk injury, toil for the rest of your life OR 2) take more money, even if the worst happens you are set for life. There would be something wrong with these guys if they didn't sign for what the Blues offered.
You can judge them as players and the type of players they are in chasing the money over a chance to win, but you can’t judge them as humans for chasing the money.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
There's diminishing returns to wealth. There's basically no difference between $2M and $1M for a pro athlete.

Especially when it's $1M and a chance at a couple Cups and $2M and early tee times.

• Haha
Reactions: Trow and Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

Yup. Say goodbye, enjoy all the Blues-ing

Broberg? Sure. There's a question whether or not he would have been worth signing for $4.6M with term, let alone for a mere 2 years. He should take the bag as there's a very good chance he never sees that money otherwise and banks a few million instead (if that). And I like the player, but he had nothing to lose and had a lot of risk taking the Oilers offer, especially in the fairly likely even that he continues to be injury prone or a streaky D man that ends up a bottom pairing guy.

Holloway? This one is more puzzling. It's for what was likely $700K more for 2 years or something. It's not a massive amount in the grand scheme of things and he was likely to be paid afterwards. Guy seemed to really like it here and he's pissed that away for $1.5M over 2 years? Played himself.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
You can judge them as players and the type of players they are in chasing the money over a chance to win, but you can’t judge them as humans for chasing the money.

Well put.

They aren't bad human beings for going with the money, but I can't imagine being one of the guys on the team that gave it everything they had and then took a discount to come back and be sitting beside a kid that intentionally put the team over a barrel to get overpaid.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Yup, lots of moving pieces in making these two decisions in the next 7 days. You have two players who chose not to be Oilers (I get that money is important, but they prioritized that, not judging, but that was their choice), at the same time trying to lock down one of the best players in the league who wants to be an Oiler, and asking him to take a discount so the team can be ultra competitive and sign good, proven players. Your stars have to be on board having money they are giving up going to what basically at this point is to unproven, fringe players.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I dont think they tipped the scales that much. speed yes but physicality i dont think so.

Ceci scored a pretty big goal for use as well.

I love both players don't get me wrong but you cant not ask the big two to not hold a gun to your head and allow the fodder to do so.
Holloway averaged almost 4 hits per game. He definitely brought physicality.

Broberg scored almost an identical goal to Ceci's in the Dallas series.

I understand being bitter about it, but giving up either of these players for a 2nd or a 3rd is just terrible asset management. It's a terrible recipe to extend the McDrai window for another 5-8 years.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
There's diminishing returns to wealth. There's basically no difference between $2M and $1M for a pro athlete.

Especially when it's $1M and a chance at a couple Cups and $2M and early tee times.
I understand your position. There may be no difference between 8 years at $13.5M and 8 years at $14.5M but I think there is a big difference between 2 years at $1.3M and two years at $2.3M. The problem for Holloway is that such a move can backfire if he is not able to step up his game very soon.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Well put.

They aren't bad human beings, but I can't imagine being one of the guys on the team that gave it everything they had and then took a discount to come back and be sitting beside a kid that intentionally put the team over a barrel to get overpaid.

The players get its a business. It's easy for Henrique or Skinner to take a discount at this point in their careers when they've already made their 10s of millions of dollars and have only a couple more kicks at the can. They're already set for life. Broberg and Holloway aren't.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Yup, lots of moving pieces in making these two decisions in the next 7 days. You have two players who chose not to be Oilers (I get that money is important, but they prioritized that, not judging, but that was their choice), at the same time trying to lock down one of the best players in the league who wants to be an Oiler, and asking him to take a discount so the team can be ultra competitive and sign good, proven players. Your stars have to be on board having money they are giving up going to what basically at this point is to unproven, fringe players.

Yes, some here are acting like no one in the room will care, but it's really tough to say that they wouldn't at least have some thoughts in the back of their mind when one of those two struggles while others took a discount to build something special (yes yes, they made the money before).

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Well put.

They aren't bad human beings for going with the money, but I can't imagine being one of the guys on the team that gave it everything they had and then took a discount to come back and be sitting beside a kid that intentionally put the team over a barrel to get overpaid.
It's also partially not their fault in the sense that the way RFA works for non-arbitration rights RFAs exploits the players. They were essentially going to be forced to make 1mil or less this coming season while guys they passed on the depth chart in the playoffs are making way more. Being mad as a fan is fine, but the entire way the CBA screws over young RFAs is part of the problem here.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I find this is a huge gamble for Holloway. Really more stupid than anything. He could easily not mesh with anyone on St. Louis. Get bench like Kostin in Detroit and traded to San Jose. But he got his early cash out but not by much. In Edmonton there's familiarity. He knows what he got there.

As it's been pointed out 2M is not much much than 1M as Edmonton is one spot that can get Holloway much more money real soon.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I find this is a huge gamble for Holloway. Really more stupid than anything. He could easily not mesh with anyone on St. Louis. Get bench like Kostin in Detroit and traded to San Jose. But he got his early cash out but not by much. In Edmonton there's familiarity. He knows what he got there.

As it's been pointed out 2M is not much much than 1M as Edmonton is one spot that can get Holloway much more money real soon.
What does Holloway actually have here? A spot as our 4th line LW? He's probably going to get a better opportunity out of camp in St. Louis than he would here.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I think it's a smart decision from Holloway financially. There's a very real chance that two years from now he'll have washed out of the league.

Players in that position gotta take what they can get when they can get it and if he proves over the course of this deal that he is good enough nobody is going to remember or care about these events.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad