Winnipeg Jets going into the 24/25 season

What do you feel is the top Priority for 2024-2025?

• New Special Team Coach (replace Lauer)

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • New Head Coach (replace Bowness)

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • Replace both coaches (replace Bowness and Lauer)

Votes: 68 43.6%
  • New General Manager (replace Cheveldayoff)

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • Trade Forwards/picks for improved Defense core. (Replacements for Pionk & Stanley)

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Improved process to integrate youth (mostly our prospects) into the NHL club and give longer leash

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • Ensure strong Back-up Goalie (like Brossoit) and give MINIMUM of 30 games (Load Mgmt for Helly)

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Trade Vezina Helly if we get a great offer

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Create time travel (or borrow this current tech from the CIA) and bring back Prime Byfuglien

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Trade multiple Players for picks - start mini Re-build

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah I quoted the interview. It is your second option. The interview with Arniel.

I can't seem to find it.

What did Arniel specifically say with regards to contracts for Cole and Fly and did he give reasons for not wanting Vilardi and Cole in the middle.

Seems like none of the radio guys were all that bullish on Namestnikov getting that spot.

Seems to me they are going risk adverse suppression mode and hoping improved special teams will tilt the balance in our favor.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I can't seem to find it.

What did Arniel specifically say with regards to contracts for Cole and Fly and did he give reasons for not wanting Vilardi and Cole in the middle.

Seems like none of the radio guys were all that bullish on Namestnikov getting that spot.

Seems to me they are going risk adverse suppression mode and hoping improved special teams will tilt the balance in our favor.
Arniel didn't say anything about contracts. Chevy's job. He said he likes Perfetti at wing. After that he talked about giving some young guys a look in camp. I took it as likely Lambert, but he seemed to be penciling in Names as the #2 center with Perfetti and Ehlers on wings. He didn't back off the suggestion that it would then be KC-Schiefele-Vilardi as the 1st line.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I can't seem to find it.

Vilardi was not mentionned, but Arniel did state that he likes the way Perfetti plays on the wing and he really liked the season he had last year

I think that burdening Perfetti with the defensive responsibilities of playing C might impact his offensive numbers and line driving ability

Last edited:

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
I can't seem to find it.

Go to the 2nd recorded instance on the playlist, where it reads "How was the Jets coaching summit? Coach Arniel joins.", it says 41 minutes next to it.

Reactions: KingBogo

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Vilardi was not mentionned, but Arniel did state that he likes the way Perfetti plays on the wing and he really liked the season he had last year

I think that burdening Perfetti qith the defensive responsibilities of playing C might impact his offensive numbers and line driving ability
I hope Arniel runs Perfetti and Connor together.

Not surprised that Namestnikov is the front runner for 2C. Jets did pretty good with him in that role last year, statistically better than with Monahan.

So it sounds like Perfetti will be a winger for the foreseeable future. Interesting comment about looking at young guys in camp. Names looks like the front runner for the #2 center, but maybe they give Lambert a look? Ended with some encouraging talk about revamping the PP and PK with the new coaching staff.
Lambert is probably going to have to blow the doors off to get the job. Maybe if Valardi goes down again, they put him in the 2C spot with Namestnikov insulating him on the wing. Going forward I think the Jets, after last season's development, want to see Lambert grow into that 2C spot, and his skating will make him a better option for that role...Scheifele and Lowry are good skaters, but not elite. Perfetti might be a level below them. I think the Jets definitely want an upper echelon skater in their centre folds, to compete with some pretty good ones in the conference. I also wonder what kind of forecheck the Jets use, with their centres being among the most physical players on the roster, and Lambert is again probably better than Perfetti in that regard, even if a tad undersized still.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It would be nice to get that taken care of now. Camp is only a month away. We haven't heard much since reports that Perfetti was open to a longer term deal. The organization is sitting on around enough cap space to make that a possibility.

My guess is both sides are haggling over pennies at this point lol. Both Chevy abs KO are hard negotiators so I'm not surprised they will go down to the wire to get it done.

I also imagine that the Hilinka was probably a return to hockey ops after a vacation for Chevy. I would expect to see more traction on it over the next few weeks. My guess is an end of August announcement.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I think that burdening Perfetti qith the defensive responsibilities of playing C might impact his offensive numbers and line driving ability

Sorry, Toth was talking about Arniel not being on board with Vilardi in what I heard. Not sure where he got it if Arniel didn't say anything in his interview. Maybe it was off the air.

I definitely get that second part and it seems our strategy is to only have one offensive center and the a bunch of defensive first ones. I can't say I'm thrilled about this strategy but it worked last year so I can understand them doing so again. I don't think it's a recipe for long term playoff success though.

Just seems we are getting a more conservative approach again. I'd like to see more proactive decisions and for the org to take some real risks.

I hope Arniel runs Perfetti and Connor together.

Not surprised that Namestnikov is the front runner for 2C. Jets did pretty good with him in that role last year, statistically better than with Monahan.

Lambert is probably going to have to blow the doors off to get the job. Maybe if Valardi goes down again, they put him in the 2C spot with Namestnikov insulating him on the wing. Going forward I think the Jets, after last season's development, want to see Lambert grow into that 2C spot, and his skating will make him a better option for that role...Scheifele and Lowry are good skaters, but not elite. Perfetti might be a level below them. I think the Jets definitely want an upper echelon skater in their centre folds, to compete with some pretty good ones in the conference. I also wonder what kind of forecheck the Jets use, with their centres being among the most physical players on the roster, and Lambert is again probably better than Perfetti in that regard, even if a tad undersized still.

I think it's more defense that they want then speed in the center spot. They had no issue trying to bring back slow as molasses Monohan for that role.

Reactions: Buffdog

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Sorry, Toth was talking about Arniel not being on board with Vilardi in what I heard. Not sure where he got it if Arniel didn't say anything in his interview. Maybe it was off the air.

I definitely get that second part and it seems our strategy is to only have one offensive center and the a bunch of defensive first ones. I can't say I'm thrilled about this strategy but it worked last year so I can understand them doing so again. I don't think it's a recipe for long term playoff success though.

Just seems we are getting a more conservative approach again. I'd like to see more proactive decisions and for the org to take some real risks.

I think it's more defense that they want then speed in the center spot. They had no issue trying to bring back slow as molasses Monohan for that role.
I'm hoping new coaches have an impact with team speed this year. Lambert and Kupari are elite skaters, Namestnikov is a skater. There's some defensemen who can skate in the organization. Winnipeg should be a good skating team consistently with some of the best ice in the NHL, in my opinion. This year really lends itself to the potential that we have as a team.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The Jets have the cap space to sign Perfetti to a long-term contract, and I would think that they have considered it strongly. Chevy and the Jets have created some good cap situations with these long-term bargains (like Scheifele, Connor and Ehlers).

On the other hand, if they give Perfetti a bridge deal, they can build up a lot of cap space in case they want to make a splash at the TDL (perhaps with McGroarty as a trade chip). They might be in position to acquire a higher-end roster player who has some contract term at that point if they keep the cap space open.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The Jets have the cap space to sign Perfetti to a long-term contract, and I would think that they have considered it strongly. Chevy and the Jets have created some good cap situations with these long-term bargains (like Scheifele, Connor and Ehlers).

On the other hand, if they give Perfetti a bridge deal, they can build up a lot of cap space in case they want to make a splash at the TDL (perhaps with McGroarty as a trade chip). They might be in position to acquire a higher-end roster player who has some contract term at that point if they keep the cap space open.

Even if Cole inks long term they should still start the year roughly a couple million under the cap. They can still accrue enough to do what I'm sure is the plan and go big game hunting for whowever they feel they can get to be the 2C at the deadline.

My opinion is that if both sides wanted a bridge deal it would be done by now. My guess is they are talking long term and will only resort to a bridge if they can't agree on a value that works for both on a 7 year deal.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm hoping new coaches have an impact with team speed this year. Lambert and Kupari are elite skaters, Namestnikov is a skater. There's some defensemen who can skate in the organization. Winnipeg should be a good skating team consistently with some of the best ice in the NHL, in my opinion. This year really lends itself to the potential that we have as a team.

I'd love to see that, but I'm just getting the vibe from what I'm hearing that Arniel is going to double down on Bones's system and philosophy at 5 on 5. It seems the only real change he speaks of is special teams. Seems like same line configurations etc.

We will just have to wait until camp.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'd love to see that, but I'm just getting the vibe from what I'm hearing that Arniel is going to double down on Bones's system and philosophy at 5 on 5. It seems the only real change he speaks of is special teams. Seems like same line configurations etc.

We will just have to wait until camp.
I have no problem with the 5v5 system the Jets used last season. They were excellent in the first half of the season, creating a ton of pressure and very good defensive structure. It showed in their metrics and results. I actually think that they took a bit of a downturn in performance in the second half. I attribute some of that to re-uniting Connor with Scheifele and Vilardi, and then adding Monahan and demoting Namestnikov made them less effective at implementing the high-speed pressure system, with lots of back-pressure. You can see it in the shot metrics (top chart below). In the first half, they were generally much higher in xG for than xG against, but then had a slump at about mid-season. They turned it around again later in the season, especially defensively.

1723599963003.png

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I have no problem with the 5v5 system the Jets used last season. They were excellent in the first half of the season, creating a ton of pressure and very good defensive structure. It showed in their metrics and results. I actually think that they took a bit of a downturn in performance in the second half. I attribute some of that to re-uniting Connor with Scheifele and Vilardi, and then adding Monahan and demoting Namestnikov made them less effective at implementing the high-speed pressure system, with lots of back-pressure. You can see it in the shot metrics (top chart below). In the first half, they were generally much higher in xG for than xG against, but then had a slump at about mid-season. They turned it around again later in the season, especially defensively.

View attachment 900910

I'd like to see them modify it a bit in the ozone and on breakouts. I'm fine with the forecheck and play off the puck in the nz and dz.

But it seems this scheme puts a lot of focus on defense for the centers not named Mark. If we run similarly then it likely isn't the best use for Cole to focus mostly on defense as a center.

My main issue is it sounds like KC, Mark and Gabe will once again be a thing. As your chart points out they essentially negate a good amount of what the other lines do by hemeraging goals and chances. That to me juat reeks of same old same old by the org. I can't see our 5 on 5 play being great again if they get 20 minutes a game again.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Whomever the team uses at 2C this season (Names looks like the frontrunner), I hope the org has a plan for that spot in the future that doesn't involve the team continually burning 1st round picks on rentals. If they think Lambert could be ready soon and needs another year as the 1C on the Moose, great.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Whomever the team uses at 2C this season (Names looks like the frontrunner), I hope the org has a plan for that spot in the future that doesn't involve the team continually burning 1st round picks on rentals. If they think Lambert could be ready soon and needs another year as the 1C on the Moose, great.
I think the reality is that Lowry functions as the 2C, with Namestnikov's line being more of a 2/3 line.

I'd like to see the Jets try a bit more offense with Lowry to balance out scoring a bit in the middle 6 as the Panthers and Canes do with Bennett and Staal, who are defensively-oriented Cs like Lowry. Both of them have strong offensive players on their lines, so maybe putting a more offensive RW with Lowry and Nino would be a good option, and balance with Namestnikov's line.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I think the reality is that Lowry functions as the 2C, with Namestnikov's line being more of a 2/3 line.

I'd like to see the Jets try a bit more offense with Lowry to balance out scoring a bit in the middle 6 as the Panthers and Canes do with Bennett and Staal, who are defensively-oriented Cs like Lowry. Both of them have strong offensive players on their lines, so maybe putting a more offensive RW with Lowry and Nino would be a good option, and balance with Namestnikov's line.
That's an option as well and something I've thought about too. The idea of putting some more offensive wingers with Lowry (although they would still need to be strong defensively due to the assignments they'd get).

Regardless of whether we're saying 2C or 3C though, it feels like we need a long term solution in the "non Scheifele or Lowry" top 9 C role. Looks like Lambert as of now.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

I'd like to see the Jets try a bit more offense with Lowry to balance out scoring a bit in the middle 6 as the Panthers and Canes do with Bennett and Staal, who are defensively-oriented Cs like Lowry. Both of them have strong offensive players on their lines, so maybe putting a more offensive RW with Lowry and Nino would be a good option, and balance with Namestnikov's
Ehlers Lowry Perfetti

I wonder what that looks like. Both wingers have high offensive upside but also defensive awareness.

One thing I did notice in Arniel's comments about Ehlers is that he said that Nik is making progress in playing the way they want him to in terms of getting the puck back when the other teams have it. Makes you wonder what they see that a lot of Ehlers fans on the board don't

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That's an option as well and something I've thought about too. The idea of putting some more offensive wingers with Lowry (although they would still need to be strong defensively due to the assignments they'd get).

Regardless of whether we're saying 2C or 3C though, it feels like we need a long term solution in the "non Scheifele or Lowry" top 9 C role. Looks like Lambert as of now.

Both Mark amd Adam are aging out. They are going to need 3 top 9 centers within 3 years imo.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Ehlers Lowry Perfetti

I wonder what that looks like. Both wingers have high offensive upside but also defensive awareness.

One thing I did notice in Arniel's comments about Ehlers is that he said that Nik is making progress in playing the way they want him to in terms of getting the puck back when the other teams have it. Makes you wonder what they see that a lot of Ehlers fans on the board don't

That would be interesting to see for sure. If that line can play the hard minutes they want from Lowry and come out ahead, you can also have a 3rd line with offensive players as well.
Both Mark amd Adam are aging out. They are going to need 3 top 9 centers within 3 years imo.

Agreed. Scary to think they're both 31 already. Although I wish I was 31 again! :)

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
The Jets really need to work on their C drafting, especially if they start moving them to wing by default. Agreed that soon enough we’ll need to be developing replacements for Scheif and Lowry, and we don’t have 3 1st round picks every year to trade for rental Cs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad