Winnipeg Jets going into the 24/25 season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What do you feel is the top Priority for 2024-2025?

• New Special Team Coach (replace Lauer)

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • New Head Coach (replace Bowness)

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • Replace both coaches (replace Bowness and Lauer)

Votes: 68 43.6%
  • New General Manager (replace Cheveldayoff)

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • Trade Forwards/picks for improved Defense core. (Replacements for Pionk & Stanley)

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Improved process to integrate youth (mostly our prospects) into the NHL club and give longer leash

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • Ensure strong Back-up Goalie (like Brossoit) and give MINIMUM of 30 games (Load Mgmt for Helly)

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Trade Vezina Helly if we get a great offer

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Create time travel (or borrow this current tech from the CIA) and bring back Prime Byfuglien

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Trade multiple Players for picks - start mini Re-build

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That would be interesting to see for sure. If that line can play the hard minutes they want from Lowry and come out ahead, you can also have a 3rd line with offensive players as well.

Agreed. Scary to think they're both 31 already. Although I wish I was 31 again! :)
So what do you see happening? Scheifele making $8.5 M as the 4th line center and Lowry captaining from the PB?

Both will be around 34 then, what do you think they'll actually be capable of by then?

Adam isn't signed past the next two seasons. My guess is you reassess where he is before ponnying up big cash for a 33 year old.

I have long since believed that Mark will have to be moved to wing in his mid 30's to salvage value out of that deal. He's already fading and isn't good defensively, that is only going to become more pronounced over the next few years.

But hey if the org is super stubborn and leave them in those roles like with Wheeler then we get that tank some on here want.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Both will be around 34 then, what do you think they'll actually be capable of by then?

Adam isn't signed past the next two seasons. My guess is you reassess where he is before ponnying up big cash for a 33 year old.

I have long since believed that Mark will have to be moved to wing in his mid 30's to salvage value out of that deal. He's already fading and isn't good defensively, that is only going to become more pronounced over the next few years.

But hey if the org is super stubborn and leave them in those roles like with Wheeler then we get that tank some on here want.
I really wonder why the Jets don't platoon centers more like they did with pld and scheif... would be the best way to ease perfetti into the position

Same with Barron moved to third line with Lowry.... or even getting lambert on the roster... so reluctant to develop Cs

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I think they will expect Scheifele to be a top 6 center for at least the 1st 5 years of his contract, ideally being bumped to #2 in 3 or 4 years if a prospect like Lambert clicks at center. I’m guessing Lowry will be re-signed after this contract at a slightly lower AAV and remain in a bottom 6 center role and team captain with less and hard matching as time goes on.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
The Jets really need to work on their C drafting, especially if they start moving them to wing by default. Agreed that soon enough we’ll need to be developing replacements for Scheif and Lowry, and we don’t have 3 1st round picks every year to trade for rental Cs.
A good part of this is because Chevy sticks with BPA and refuses to move up/down in draft.

Sticking to BPA leads you to drafting a bunch of Wingers and LHD’s.

BPA is the right approach. I’m not arguing against that. But if you’re not willing to move around on draft day, or acquire more picks to take some boom/bust prospects… you’re gonna have a hard time acquiring C’s and RHD’s.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think they will expect Scheifele to be a top 6 center for at least the 1st 5 years of his contract, ideally being bumped to #2 in 3 or 4 years if a prospect like Lambert clicks at center. I’m guessing Lowry will be re-signed after this contract at a slightly lower AAV and remain in a bottom 6 center role and team captain with less and hard matching as time goes on.

Well, I can't say I share your optimism. I think we have two years left alof passable 1C level from Mark.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Well, I can't say I share your optimism. I think we have two years left alof passable 1C level from Mark.
We better find a #1 center then. Scheifele will be it until there is a better option. Going for him is he is a fitness buff and regularly scores at the top of the fitness tests in camp. At this point Lambert represents the only real possibility in the organization of taking over the #1 center role.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
We better find a #1 center then. Scheifele will be it until there is a better option. Going for him is he is a fitness buff and regularly scores at the top of the fitness tests in camp. At this point Lambert represents the only real possibility in the organization of taking over the #1 center role.

They don't have one in the org as I don't see that ceiling in Brad and they have given up on Cole and Gabe at C it seems.

Sorta what I was getting at is that we are going to be in trouble when the wheels fall off those two more then now.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
They don't have one in the org as I don't see that ceiling in Brad and they have given up on Cole and Gabe at C it seems.

Sorta what I was getting at is that we are going to be in trouble when the wheels fall off those two more then now.
I’m more optimistic on Lambert. I see a high potential ceiling with him. I think we got really lucky that he had such a badly managed draft year and he dropped to 30 when just a year or 2 before he was seen as a potential top 5 pick.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I’m more optimistic on Lambert. I see a high potential ceiling with him. I think we got really lucky that he had such a badly managed draft year and he dropped to 30 when just a year or 2 before he was seen a potential top 5 pick.

Where do you see Lambert’s ceiling? Maybe like a Barzal?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I’m more optimistic on Lambert. I see a high potential ceiling with him. I think we got really lucky that he had such a badly managed draft year and he dropped to 30 when just a year or 2 before he was seen as a potential top 5 pick.

I see him as a 50 to 60 point 2C. But if he achieves more great.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Where do you see Lambert’s ceiling? Maybe like a Barzal?
I never considered that comparison and it is an interesting thought. But what I think is we are now seeing in his play is what some of the early scouting reports of him talked about. Near perfect skating style with matching speed and the ability to control the puck at speed. Playing with men too early held him back IMO. The organization hit a home run allowing him to play with peers with the Thunderbirds in 22/23. The kid needed to feel offense again. He then carried that forward with the Moose last season. I’m really looking forward to what we see from him in camp.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'd love to see that, but I'm just getting the vibe from what I'm hearing that Arniel is going to double down on Bones's system and philosophy at 5 on 5. It seems the only real change he speaks of is special teams. Seems like same line configurations etc.

We will just have to wait until camp.
Yep if I were a betting man I'd say that lines are going to be what we saw from game 3 to 42 last year. Gus and Kupari competing for 4C and PK duties.

8 d-men, with Fleury likely to stick...

Unless there is a training camp injury not a lot of doors open..that said the Jets way seems to be build chemistry, and hope for results with familiarity. 3rd defensive pair is maybe only the real fresh start next season.

Moose ran Lambert with AJF quite a bit last year...Conceivably JAD is Malott's replacement.

Toninato and Chibrikov were together quite a bit too...I see Lucius as the centre there.

You probably have Mason Shaw and Parker Ford as your checking line wingers. Both can play in the NHL. Shaw is going to replace some of the toughness Viel brought last year, I'd say with a better chance of a callup.

Checking line centre is a mystery. Julien might get a look there...Nikkanen had a strong finish, and he's good on the dot.

Where a guy like Zhilkin fits in is a mystery to me. You need playing time for prospects. But also competition. Jets and Moose should have competitive camps but seems like there a few guys who need opportunity to get to the next level.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Well hopefully you are correct. I juat don't see the skill for that. Outside of skating all his skills are good but not elite.
He doesn't need to be elite to be more than a 50/60 pt center.
Way to early to peg this guy's career - LY was really the first yr we have seen him settled in at the right time and right level.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He doesn't need to be elite to be more than a 50/60 pt center.
Way to early to peg this guy's career - LY was really the first yr we have seen him settled in at the right time and right level.

True, scoring is way up and I keep forgetting to take that into consideration.

Reactions: LowLefty

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I can't seem to find it.

What did Arniel specifically say with regards to contracts for Cole and Fly and did he give reasons for not wanting Vilardi and Cole in the middle.

Seems like none of the radio guys were all that bullish on Namestnikov getting that spot.

Seems to me they are going risk adverse suppression mode and hoping improved special teams will tilt the balance in our favor.

Improved ST could make a pretty bug difference - but somebody needs to play 2C. Or are we going to go 2F & 3D and just concede all of the FO? :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Buffdog and surixon

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
The Jets really need to work on their C drafting, especially if they start moving them to wing by default. Agreed that soon enough we’ll need to be developing replacements for Scheif and Lowry, and we don’t have 3 1st round picks every year to trade for rental Cs.
Since Little went down in 2019, Jets have drafted Perfetti, Lucius, Mc Groarty and Lambert in the 1st round. 3 of the 4 may be NHL centres down the road, not all with the Jets. At the very least Mc Groarty could return a potential 2C under contract too as a trade chip.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Since Little went down in 2019, Jets have drafted Perfetti, Lucius, Mc Groarty and Lambert in the 1st round. 3 of the 4 may be NHL centres down the road, not all with the Jets. At the very least Mc Groarty could return a potential 2C under contract too as a trade chip.

I think it's more the Jets need to revamp their center development plan

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think it's more the Jets need to revamp their center development plan
Maybe but Perfetti I think was always seen as more likely to be a winger because his skating wasn't top notch...Lundell would have been the centre pick in the spot the Jets were in... Lucius I believe has been developed as a centre the whole way, you can't predict injuries, maybe with better DNA testing you could, but let's not go there...Lambert has stayed in the middle through his development, as far as I know. Wouldn't be surprised if the Jets wanted Mc Groarty to take centre reps in the A, to grow into that role...Another one you couldn't predict. So last time the Jets traded a 1st for a centre before Monahan was 2019 , and the guys that were drafted in Heinola's range were Tomasino and Mc Michael, not sure that's the answer. 2017 I suppose the Jets missed out on Suzuki or Josh Norris. Hard to say Laine, Connor and Ehlers weren't good picks.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Maybe but Perfetti I think was always seen as more likely to be a winger because his skating wasn't top notch...Lundell would have been the centre pick in the spot the Jets were in... Lucius I believe has been developed as a centre the whole way, you can't predict injuries, maybe with better DNA testing you could, but let's not go there...Lambert has stayed in the middle through his development, as far as I know. Wouldn't be surprised if the Jets wanted Mc Groarty to take centre reps in the A, to grow into that role...Another one you couldn't predict. So last time the Jets traded a 1st for a centre before Monahan was 2019 , and the guys that were drafted in Heinola's range were Tomasino and Mc Michael, not sure that's the answer. 2017 I suppose the Jets missed out on Suzuki or Josh Norris. Hard to say Laine, Connor and Ehlers weren't good picks.

This goes back much further then those you mentioned though.

Roslovic was developed similarly to Lambert with similar AHL results. He gets to the show and he's put on the wing and never really trialed at center. They instead put Wheeler and others in the middle. Same thing with Copp. Stays at wing despite clearly being capable of being a middle 6 C as we've seen since he left.

This org doesn't seem to have the patience no matter who it is to stick with them as a center.

It would he the same with Lundell if he were here instead of Cole.

Development doesn't just happen prior to the NHL. There is a learning curve at the NHL that this org just refuses to live with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad