2025 NHL Draft Thread

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
Martone is the perfect fit for SJ or CHI.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Hagens. He is #1 overall favorite but if you already have Bedard, Celebrini, Carlsson...

Imo, Martone is good, but if you have a talent like Hagens you just pick him. Imagine Hagens+Bedard/Celebrini/Carlsson/Fantilli. But there is a good possibility that GMS will pass Hagens for Martone, Frondell or some D that explodes. The only team that would win the lottery would definitely choose Hagens would be Calgary

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Imo, Martone is good, but if you have a talent like Hagens you just pick him. Imagine Hagens+Bedard/Celebrini/Carlsson/Fantilli. But there is a good possibility that GMS will pass Hagens for Martone, Frondell or some D that explodes. The only team that would win the lottery would definitely choose Hagens would be Calgary
Disagree on the bolded. If Hagens plays as expected, no one is going to pass on that because they have center depth. SJ/CLM/ANA would all grab Hagens and move someone else to wing.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Hagens is a special talent. Kid arguably should've made Team USA's gold medal winning team in juniors. You don't pass on someone like that because Martone is a better fit. Pick Hagens and you either put him at wing, or you trade a top prospect to upgrade somewhere else.

Reactions: BHFAN92 and JotAlan

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
Disagree on the bolded. If Hagens plays as expected, no one is going to pass on that because they have center depth. SJ/CLM/ANA would all grab Hagens and move someone else to wing.
Hagens is a special talent. Kid arguably should've made Team USA's gold medal winning team in juniors. You don't pass on someone like that because Martone is a better fit. Pick Hagens and you either put him at wing, or you trade a top prospect to upgrade somewhere else.
You 100000000% pick Hagens if you get 1st overall no matter what f***ing need your team may have.

I finally found people who agree with me. Because what I have seen in most forums, especially San Jose fans, is that they prefer and would choose Martone. Imo, it's impossible to pass Hagens. Pick him and move Smith to wing or whoever from San Jose or any other team

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
I finally found people who agree with me. Because what I have seen in most forums, especially San Jose fans, is that they prefer and would choose Martone. Imo, it's impossible to pass Hagens. Pick him and move Smith to wing or whoever from San Jose or any other team

They can take Martone with their pick. If that means Hagens is there for the Hawks to take? Sign me up.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
You 100000000% pick Hagens if you get 1st overall no matter what f***ing need your team may have.
Add him to the group!

1721071712658.jpeg

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Hagens is trending really well but he's a late birthday and needs to have a great year at BC to stay 1. So much is going to happen between now and the draft. Just look at Eiserman. There were articles about him challenging Celebrini this time last year by really reputable people.

Ryabkin might play KHL minutes this year and he looked really good last year in the MHL. Frondell and Martone obviously as well right there.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Fun fact; In the last 3 drafts, KD has drafted 17 forwards in the first 3 rounds of the drafts. Of those 17, only 1 player is 6’3” or taller (Jiri Felcman drafted 93rd oa in 2023)

8/17 are under 6’0”

2/17 are over 6’0” and drafted top 50 (Boisvert and Vanacker)

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Hagens is trending really well but he's a late birthday and needs to have a great year at BC to stay 1. So much is going to happen between now and the draft. Just look at Eiserman. There were articles about him challenging Celebrini this time last year by really reputable people.

Ryabkin might play KHL minutes this year and he looked really good last year in the MHL. Frondell and Martone obviously as well right there.
The difference is Hagens, like Celebrini, has been locked in at 1 for a while. Sure he can go the way of Shane Wright (although when's the last time a prospect regressed that much to his draft year from his exceptional status?) but not a doubt in my mind he'll be fine in BC. Hell McKenna is also a late birthday for 2026 draft... and that kid to me is right there with McDavid and Bedard as can't miss and that draft isn't till 2 years from now.

Reactions: JotAlan

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
The difference is Hagens, like Celebrini, has been locked in at 1 for a while. Sure he can go the way of Shane Wright (although when's the last time a prospect regressed that much to his draft year from his exceptional status?) but not a doubt in my mind he'll be fine in BC. Hell McKenna is also a late birthday for 2026 draft... and that kid to me is right there with McDavid and Bedard as can't miss and that draft isn't till 2 years from now.
Its likely, obviously but I agree with Musto that a lot can happen between now and the draft. I really like Hagens and still expect him to be really good at BC.

I thought he should have made the WJC team.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
He was seen by Canadian market. Because he got exceptional status that he shouldn't of gotten. But that's another topic. Hagens is American. I get it.
Draft consensus is nearly all media bias anyway.

Everyone in the media said Demidov was a lock for #2, and then he went 5th overall. Happened a couple years ago with most locking in Wright for #1, and then he went 4th.

These sorts of things happen every year.

The point is, at this point in time it's silly to lock in an undersized non generational talent as the #1 pick in the upcoming draft. He could be by the time we get there, he could also be surpassed by a handful of other guys.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Fun fact; In the last 3 drafts, KD has drafted 17 forwards in the first 3 rounds of the drafts. Of those 17, only 1 player is 6’3” or taller (Jiri Felcman drafted 93rd oa in 2023)

8/17 are under 6’0”

2/17 are over 6’0” and drafted top 50 (Boisvert and Vanacker)
did vanacker get measure at the combine? I know he did not do the physical testing

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012

Everyone in the media said Demidov was a lock for #2, and then he went 5th overall. Happened a couple years ago with most locking in Wright for #1, and then he went 4th.

The point is, at this point in time it's silly to lock in an undersized non generational talent as the #1 pick in the upcoming draft. He could be by the time we get there, he could also be surpassed by a handful of other guys.

So what do you think of Gavin McKenna right now in 2 years? You think he'll lose the #1 spot?

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
did vanacker get measure at the combine? I know he did not do the physical testing
Didn't see his combine results, but he is somewhere between 6'0"- 6'1". He looks like it from the eye test too, so I just assume a little under 6'1"

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
So what do you think of Gavin McKenna right now in 2 years? You think he'll lose the #1 spot?
I don't have a crystal ball, but the McKenna hype is certainly larger than Hagens.

McKenna is getting into that Bedard/McDavid echelon of hype.

We'll see how he looks this upcoming season.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
When you have a late birth year like Hagens, I think you always compare where you think they would have gone in the previous draft to get a sense of how they'll go the following year. To me, if Hagens was available in 2024, he would have challenged Celebrini and would have been the surefire #2 behind him. I think at the end of the day, Celebrini wins out because he has size and a more well-rounded game over Hagens but the offensive upside probably leans Hagens.

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020

Have you ever watched Hagens? Probably not, because otherwise you would know that he is a special talent and there is no chance of him being surpassed by a handful of guys. I doubt just one would be able to reach it.

I agree that a lot can happen, but you can't compare Eiserman with Hagens. Eiserman, even in the hype, was already highly criticized and placed outside the top 5 by several analysts for being a one-dimensional winger incapable of making his teammates better. Hagens is a center with phenomenal skill and IQ and an elite defensive game. Completely different perspectives.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
When you have a late birth year like Hagens, I think you always compare where you think they would have gone in the previous draft to get a sense of how they'll go the following year. To me, if Hagens was available in 2024, he would have challenged Celebrini and would have been the surefire #2 behind him. I think at the end of the day, Celebrini wins out because he has size and a more well-rounded game over Hagens but the offensive upside probably leans Hagens.

Exactly. He's so good he would be a lock for second place, and I believe if at draft time he was 2 inches and 10/15 pounds heavier it would become like picking apples and oranges between him or Celebrini. Something very out of the ordinary would have to happen to him or another player would have to have a monstrous season to surpass him, imo

Reactions: clydesdale line

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I agree that a lot can happen, but you can't compare Eiserman with Hagens. Eiserman, even in the hype, was already highly criticized and placed outside the top 5 by several analysts for being a one-dimensional winger incapable of making his teammates better. Hagens is a center with phenomenal skill and IQ and an elite defensive game. Completely different perspectives.
Yeah I mean not even comparable players but dropping from challenging 1 (for some people) to getting picked 19th is a massive drop was all I was saying, no one would have said he would have gone 19th this time last year.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
A ridiculous thing to say a year out from the draft
I think that the issue isn't specifically to Hagens. I read JotAlan's post as folks theorizing that organizations would pass on a player that everyone ranks as the #1OA because of their organizational depth (SJ with Celebrini and Smith for example). If Hagens struggles this year - it's very possible he does a Shane Wright and falls in the draft.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Hagens set the all-time single tournament point record at the U18s. I wouldn't even say it was a very stacked team as his next highest teammate was a defenseman (C. Hutson) that was 9 points back. If you look at the linemates he played with, they are nothing special (Teddy Stiga, 2nd round pick and Brodie Ziemer, 3rd round pick... most commonly). So it wasn't like a Leonard-Smith-Perreault situation. And as a younger '06 that wasn't even draft eligible. It's possible someone tries to be the smartest guy in the room and goes for size, but I think Hagens would need to have a disappointing year to not go first overall. And him having a disappointing year is pretty unlikely, he should take the spot Smith and Gauthier are vacating at BC, so he'll have ice time, and we already know he can produce a lot against college competition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad