Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Will never watch but imagine this is somewhere in it:

“I’m looking forward to getting shelled in Krug’s old spot and becoming a whipping boy in first couple weeks of the season”

You didn’t miss much :laugh:. Most of his answers were “I’m excited to be a blue and looking forward to it”

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Not really. I understand that it would have been an overpay, but one look at our current defense makes me worried about the upcoming year.
It's fair to be worried. But Broberg being here wasn't necessarily the answer either. The difference between him being here after the OS, is that we couldn't trade him if he didn't work out playing on the right side, locking in an overpayment on an immovable piece. At least now we have some cap flexibility to add a better player than we have had in that spot.

We don’t care how all your Flame fan buddies at CP feel.
Yeah, I feel pretty confident that if CP feels our cup aspirations are gone, they are still alive and well.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think the only thing the Oilers are guilty of with Broberg, is not being open to trading him earlier. It was obvious years ago that he was never going to have a spot on the left side of the main club. He just wasn't. If he didn't want to play right side, then they should have traded him a year or two ago.
Thats not the only thing they are guilty of because they messed up with his development.
That being said trading him because there was no real pathway to develop him properly (because of the teams terrible RHD depth) they really should have traded him.
So we can definately agree on that.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Ekholm was the upgrade a year ago. Teams don't add an Ekholm caliber every year.

2RD is really our only weakness. I bet that gets done between now and the deadline
Well we don't have a 1st this year so it becomes that much harder to upgrade the defense when we've been asking for a RD for years.

It's fair to be worried. But Broberg being here wasn't necessarily the answer either. The difference between him being here after the OS, is that we couldn't trade him if he didn't work out playing on the right side, locking in an overpayment on an immovable piece. At least now we have some cap flexibility to add a better player than we have had in that spot.
Well they better do that, ideally long before the TDL. If there's a lesson to be learned from last year it's that when you fall behind it is incredibly difficult to catch up.

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
People blaming this on the Perry deal are wrong, the Perry deal, mistake or not, had nothing to do with this decision on either player. This was 2 young, mostly unproven RFAs that got offer sheets at a combined 6.9 million. It was their right o sign those deals, but signing those deals are why they are gone, simple as that. How they were treated and developed, play time with the NHL club, etc. definitely are reasons too. The Oilers, like most teams were using their RFA status, their lack of arbitration and bargaining power, to grind them down to 2-2.5 million combined. The Blues and their offer sheets, spoiled the Oilers plans.

Edmonton is in WIN NOW mode, this year, and even next year are their best chances to win, before before Drai(1year left), McDavid (2 years left), and Bouchard (is 1 year left), all go up in salary. The Oilers got out of cap hell, gave themselves flexibility to make moves (like an upgrade at 2nd paring RH D). IF they kept Broberg,and Holloway for that matter too (just to a lesser extent) they were basically done. Between the inability to trade either Broberg or Holloway for a full year, Kane's unknown health/LTIR status, being over the cap, and our lack of assets to move (picks and prospects), the Oilers would of been stuck with this team, for better or worse. Could Broberg and/or Holloway actually of worked out this year? yes, but, odds are, they wouldn't have lived up to their new deals this season, and maybe, if not probably the next season as well, because, they are young, and they are still developing. The Oilers needed them at 2.5 million-ish max, once they signed these offer sheets, that ended that possibility. Perry did get overpaid with that little bonus, but that doesn't kick in until next year, his base salary can be buried in the minors if they need to, it had nothing to do with this.

yes, this stinks, but the Oilers picked the lesser of 2 evils, the better gamble, simple as that.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Well we don't have a 1st this year so it becomes that much harder to upgrade the defense when we've been asking for a RD for years.

Well they better do that, ideally long before the TDL. If there's a lesson to be learned from last year it's that when you fall behind it is incredibly difficult to catch up.
Teams like the Oilers will mortgage the following year 1st or more to get things done. We are like a piece away from the cup. We are in a good spot. You're worrying for nothing.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
You can be the one to create the Broberg appreciated thread
Not in the f***ing mood... I was about to create a "do you think the Oilers are a better team this season compared to last season" poll.

Whoever does it will get mad acclaim. You should do it.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Dude, who cares? They’re going to get boo’d their first game back, that’s all we’re saying. None of us said we’d be the ones doing the booing
Dude, a lot of people in here seem to care. Just putting in my 2 cents, just like you and everyone else in here. And I will not be booing, life goes on.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I mean, they might be that far off in their estimation. However, that's more of an analysis of much the central sucks, rather than an endorsement of adding these fringe NHLers at meme prices.

I get that the cap is an annually expiring resource, but Armstrong honestly looks like the he's one of the Covid toilet paper people on steroids, with this Broberg contract. Instead of just buying a van load of toilet paper he didn't need like an average crazy person, he signed a two lease on a f***ing warehouse just to store the truckloads he purchased on the futures market.
Except the toilet paper warehouse is insured. If it burns down after one year, it's covered for a mere one-third of cost. If another toilet paper shortage happens, the value of the toilet paper and its warehouse goes up. In NHL terms, getting a young pedigree NHL ready age 23 for a paltry 2nd round draft pick is pretty good three ply toilet paper hard to shop for and find in a dollar store.

The Oilers had a chance to buy cheap toilet paper and brand they knew and trusted before covid conditions rendered a new financial reality. They missed the signs ahead and burned their own warehouse supply. Now they have to find an expensive replacement, rare 4 ply toilet paper (top 4 RD), in a scarcity market with minimal assets in their pockets.

Shitty deal for Oilers management. Wish they had more fresh toilet paper or did a better job to hoard it at value pricing. Shitty to get caught in the toilet not prepared.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Thats not the only thing they are guilty of because they messed up with his development.
That being said trading him because there was no real pathway to develop him properly (because of the teams terrible RHD depth) they really should have traded him.
So we can definately agree on that.
I agree. They messed up by having him play as a number 7 in the NHL getting 5 minutes a night instead of playing full time in the AHL bumping up his value as he tore that league up.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Yeah pretty sure Podkolzin isn't any replacement for this. How soon we forget what we have:

That was a super play by Holloway and huge goal and he scored 11 this season in 62GP, pretty much around the amount you expect from a limited minutes young player.

That was such a huge goal with Oilers down 3-2 games against Vancouver. Without that goal we might not even come out of the series.

But here we are as fans being told to "get over it" by other fans. Some of us take longer to forget, I was a big fan of Holloway.

Heres another goal I liked seeing;

I really felt like Holloway was coming into his own. Particularly with Drai.

Defsta

Dec 1, 2004
Don't convince yourself Broberg and Holloway are not good players.

If they match, they are screwed. If they don't match they are screwed. It's all the same.

We're screwed, I don't believe the Oilers will win the Cup now and I don't see how this wasn't a targeted move to prevent the possibility of the Oilers winning the cup.

Hold on a second, are you seriously implying that those 2 players only reason we're cup contenders? At this point we have lost bottom-6 forward and #7 dman,who can jump up and down in roster. Ofcourse both have lots of potential , but neither are irreplaceable at this point and definitely they're not worth contracts they signed for.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
People blaming this on the Perry deal are wrong, the Perry deal, mistake or not, had nothing to do with this decision on either player. This was 2 young, mostly unproven RFAs that got offer sheets at a combined 6.9 million. It was their right o sign those deals, but signing those deals are why they are gone, simple as that. How they were treated and developed, play time with the NHL club, etc. definitely are reasons too. The Oilers, like most teams were using their RFA status, their lack of arbitration and bargaining power, to grind them down to 2-2.5 million combined. The Blues and their offer sheets, spoiled the Oilers plans.

Edmonton is in WIN NOW mode, this year, and even next year are their best chances to win, before Drai(1year left), McDavid, and Bouchard (both 2 years left), all go up in salary. The Oilers got out of cap hell, gave themselves flexibility to make moves (like an upgrade at 2nd paring RH D). IF they kept Broberg,and Holloway for that matter too (just to a lesser extent) they were basically done. Between the inability to trade either Broberg or Holloway for a full year, Kane's unknown health/LTIR status, being over the cap, and our lack of assets to move (picks and prospects), the Oilers would of been stuck with this team, for better or worse. Could Broberg and/or Holloway actually of worked out this year? yes, but, odds are, they wouldn't have lived up to their new deals this season, and maybe, if not probably the next season as well, because, they are young, and they are still developing. The Oilers needed them at 2.5 million-ish max, once they signed these offer sheets, that ended that possibility. Perry did get overpaid with that little bonus, but that doesn't kick in until next year, his base salary can be buried in the minors if they need to, it had nothing to do with this.

yes, this stinks, but the Oilers picked the lesser of 2 evils, the better gamble, simple as that.
Perry is a waste of $1.15M.
The team doesnt have the cap space flexibility (primarily because of bad contracts) to throw around $1.15M on players well past their best before date.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Teams like the Oilers will mortgage the following year 1st or more to get things done. We are like a piece away from the cup. We are in a good spot. You're worrying for nothing.
That piece has seemingly eluded us for years now. It's incredibly difficult to win the Cup, and one thing that doesn't get talked about around here is how remarkably healthy the team was last year after the early struggles.

Echodek

Feb 6, 2011
How many years of Ekholm do we have left? What happens if he doesn’t resign or starts showing his age? What’s the game plan then?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
We will certainly see.

And this isn't all about the St. Louis Blues. It doesn't matter if the Blues make the playoffs or they miss the playoffs. This is about about Bettman's NHL vision and making money for the board of governors.

Do you think they are happy at the thought of the Blues making the playoffs over on calgarypuck? No, they are overjoyed because they know our aspirations are likely down the shitter. For good.

Why don't you go have a look.

Ah, yes, because a successful Oiler team certainly doesn’t make money for the NHL. :loony:

Uhhh… I’ll say one thing: Expecting intelligent hockey takes from CP sure goes a long way in explaining your posts. I just can’t believe you proudly brought it up.

mcdingdong

Mar 21, 2019
We will certainly see.

And this isn't all about the St. Louis Blues. It doesn't matter if the Blues make the playoffs or they miss the playoffs. This is about about Bettman's NHL vision and making money for the board of governors.

Do you think they are happy at the thought of the Blues making the playoffs over on calgarypuck? No, they are overjoyed because they know our aspirations are likely down the shitter. For good.

Why don't you go have a look.
Ah yes, the totally not-unhinged lunatics at CP celebrating means the Oilers are toast. They laughed at us all last year right up until game 7 of the SCF.

My $0.02 - the real value in players like Holloway and Broberg is in outperforming small dollar contracts. Paying them 2x or 3x that value is death in a cap world, and especially so when we are in a tight win-now window.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Edmonton is in WIN NOW mode, this year, and even next year are their best chances to win, before Drai(1year left), McDavid, and Bouchard (both 2 years left), all go up in salary. The Oilers got out of cap hell, gave themselves flexibility to make moves (like an upgrade at 2nd paring RH D). IF they kept Broberg,and Holloway for that matter too (just to a lesser extent) they were basically done. Between the inability to trade either Broberg or Holloway for a full year, Kane's unknown health/LTIR status, being over the cap, and our lack of assets to move (picks and prospects), the Oilers would of been stuck with this team, for better or worse. Could Broberg and/or Holloway actually of worked out this year? yes, but, odds are, they wouldn't have lived up to their new deals this season, and maybe, if not probably the next season as well, because, they are young, and they are still developing. The Oilers needed them at 2.5 million-ish max, once they signed these offer sheets, that ended that possibility. Perry did get overpaid with that little bonus, but that doesn't kick in until next year, his base salary can be buried in the minors if they need to, it had nothing to do with this.

Yeah, the Perry deal is completely buriable. The only actual FA deal that might have affected this is either the Arvidsson or J. Skinner deal.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
Committing to clowns like Perry, Brown, etc over the players an org actually drafts. What kind of commitment is shown from an org that does that?
Perry looked cooked. I still do not get bringing him back or that Brown Dman signing.

Maybe they think the Perry curse will reverse. Go to Cup lose. Do it again and win..lol

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
The sky isn’t falling, we are still legit without those guys. We came within one game and yes we subtracted these 2 pieces (how significant they were is up for debate) but look who was added along with the flexibility to add at the deadline. I still like what we have big time

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad